Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 09:14 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,100,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And most of the new ones overstay visas and didn't sneak in.
I hope the strategy is as follows:

1) build the wall

2) fix the visa overstay problem, by upgrading tracking of visa departures.

3) require e-verify for employers

4) link the IRS data base with social security database and use the false social security numbers to identify illegals in the country (this will require a change in existing law to allow cross-checking of social security numbers between Federal agencies).

There are 20-40 million people illegally in this country.

Are we going to deport all of them?? Probably not, but we can stop adding illegal immigrants to the population at a clip of 500,000 per year. This is down from the Obama years.

This is FIVE million people every decade?? That is more than the entire population of most of the states in the Union.

The Federal government keeps track of every cow in this country due to the concerns about mad cow disease.

Why do the Democrats think it is NOT a good idea to keep track of the people in this country??

Old 01-07-2019, 11:07 PM

38,933 posts, read 24,007,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

1) build the wall

4) link the IRS data base with social security database and use the false social security numbers to identify illegals in the country (this will require a change in existing law to allow cross-checking of social security numbers between Federal agencies).

Are we going to deport all of them?? Probably not, but we can stop adding illegal immigrants to the population at a clip of 500,000 per year. This is down from the Obama years.

This is FIVE million people every decade?? That is more than the entire population of most of the states in the Union.

The Federal government keeps track of every cow in this country due to the concerns about mad cow disease.

Why do the Democrats think it is NOT a good idea to keep track of the people in this country??
I'm not a Democrat, my posting history may make you think I should be alas I am independent though Democrat leaning (especially considering the faults of the far right of Arizona) but I do think we need fixing. What I would suggest is going after the visas first. Firstly, we need to drastically cutdown the amount of visas that can be handed out and they should only be handed out for specific good reasons. The Mar-a-Lago "Oh but we can't find seasonal employees" isn't a good one nor is low-ball wages. This has proven to be the biggest problem for creating illegal immigrants. As soon as the visa is up, unless the person is in the process of longer-term citizenship (through marriage, or other circumstance) I think that the person should be contacted by ICE ASAP to encourage them to leave. However I don't see this as a strong fix, even your's is rather flimsy since it leaves openings to get away with leaving. I think this and e-verify are the best parts. The wall is really just a symbol and will not help block people entering the country (it is largely proven the visas are the problem) or drugs being smuggled in.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:31 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,702,886 times
I have a sneaky feeling, this will be his glory speech, and announce they gave given him what he asked for, he will go on and on about how long it took, how they put everyone in danger, blah, blah, blah, but in the end, he got his money!

Even though govt is shut down, I have to imagine there are LOTs of phone calls and conf calls going on behind closed doors during these past week or so, this is how negotiating works.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:33 PM

14,753 posts, read 14,739,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

1) build the wall

I would like to know where you get these numbers you’re spouting.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:48 AM

7,843 posts, read 4,594,933 times
Actually there is a way the networks could respectfully turn down Trump's request for airtime. Let the news divisions do their job. The White House always releases the text of Presidential addresses to news organizations prior to it being given. Let reporters fact check what will be presented and if it is demonstratively full of untruths, just tell the White House that they are not in the business of enabling falsehoods to be broadcast on their platform and cut the feed.

Let the President know, point for point what statements are false, how they are factually false and let him decide if he wishes to correct those statements in order to have the privilege of national airtime. His choice. If you are of the belief that the news orgs will conspire against him, you really don't know how the business of journalism works. These people are fierce competitors. No one is going to pal up to build some group list so they can keep him off the air. But if in their independent fact check the same lies appear and the administration can/won't respond or repudiate it's a safe bet there's a smell test problem. Just as important will be the press's duty to lay out explicitly the why's of not airing an address. If that equally doesn't pass the smell test then they deserve any blow-back that may come of it. It cuts both ways.

This might not work for this address, but it should be something the press considers for future events. In short, if Trump wants unfettered national network airtime, he needs to insure what he's saying can be backed up with facts, otherwise it's a campaign stunt and he can darn well buy a half-hour of network air on his own dime.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:03 AM

3,646 posts, read 3,451,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
This should be weird. For a national address, he'll have to be reading, and we all know that when he reads, he doesn't do well. He tends to sound robotic and speak in a monotone....
I am sure that his speech has been written for him, but I am equally sure that he will go off-script. For example:

"With thousands of illegal migrants on our southern border, looking to enter the United States by any means, we must declare a state of national emergency and build the wall,"

which is a reasonable statement and is broad enough to cover a lot without getting specific. However, once Mr. Trump goes off-script, it will become,

"With thousands of illegal migrants on our southern border--among them, drug pushers, ISIS terrorists, MS-13, and others like them--looking to enter the United States by any means--you know these people--these people--are looking to destroy us and our country. Who wants that? Who wants drugs and bombs in our country brought by these so-called refugee caravans? I don't. No real American does, or would. Real Americans, folks; not Democrats. Not Democrats, who want to allow Muslims and Sharia law and open borders. It's true, it's true--Dearborn, Michigan--once a proud American city--is now under control of Muslims, and subject to Sharia law. True. It is, trust me. So, what are these so-called refugee caravans except a cover for the Mexican drug pushers' and Muslim terrorists' agendas to infiltrate our country and kill our citizens? We must declare a state of national emergency and build the wall."

All the elements of the original speech are there, but Mr. Trump will have put his own unique spin on them. And the speechwriters will facepalm, and ask themselves, "Why do we bother?"

Old 01-08-2019, 01:11 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,516,879 times
What is the point of this thread? Trump going on TV and lying? Thats news?

Old 01-08-2019, 01:16 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,808,218 times
Public opinion and awareness is very important in getting policy passed. Trump and the GOP should have been doing this push for months. Trump should have never signed the first CR without significant border infrastructure funding.

It’s almost unbelievable that we’re having to fight with our own government to secure our border. Even to follow the current immigration laws on the books. It’s plain as day to the average citizen that we are being invaded and have been for the past 40 years.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:55 AM

34,299 posts, read 15,725,777 times
13 hours and President Trump will be speaking from the oval office and millions around the world will be watching. Its going to be Huuuuge !!!

Old 01-08-2019, 06:11 AM

38,933 posts, read 24,007,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Actually there is a way the networks could respectfully turn down Trump's request for airtime. Let the news divisions do their job. The White House always releases the text of Presidential addresses to news organizations prior to it being given. Let reporters fact check what will be presented and if it is demonstratively full of untruths, just tell the White House that they are not in the business of enabling falsehoods to be broadcast on their platform and cut the feed.

Let the President know, point for point what statements are false, how they are factually false and let him decide if he wishes to correct those statements in order to have the privilege of national airtime. His choice. If you are of the belief that the news orgs will conspire against him, you really don't know how the business of journalism works. These people are fierce competitors. No one is going to pal up to build some group list so they can keep him off the air. But if in their independent fact check the same lies appear and the administration can/won't respond or repudiate it's a safe bet there's a smell test problem. Just as important will be the press's duty to lay out explicitly the why's of not airing an address. If that equally doesn't pass the smell test then they deserve any blow-back that may come of it. It cuts both ways.

This might not work for this address, but it should be something the press considers for future events. In short, if Trump wants unfettered national network airtime, he needs to insure what he's saying can be backed up with facts, otherwise it's a campaign stunt and he can darn well buy a half-hour of network air on his own dime.
I'd love to see this, but I highly doubt that Trump would those in the media who do this press passes similar to the Jim Acosta situation. He has that precedent. Granted that hurt him in the long run but he still has used that nuclear option when pressed. This is the problem with the media, Trump slams them when they try keeping him honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies