Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should POTUS declare a state of emergency for the border wall?
Yes 96 34.78%
No 180 65.22%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:57 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
There is no national emergency. Trump will lie and do whatever it takes to get this wall built. There was already a deal by both parties which Trump acknowledged he would sign. But he didn’t. So how do you negotiate with someone like that. And the only reason he’s so desperate to do this is because conservatives said he would never be re elected if he didn’t build this wall. He took full credit for the shutdown thinking democrats would cave. Pelosi will never cave though. She is way more shrewd than Trump gave her credit for. Trump has pretty much boxed himself in. There will be a national emergency if he doesn’t open up the government though. Our country will be in economic turmoil

can not rep again!good post but more sense and reality than trumsters can handle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 10:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But that was only a mere pittance of what Trump requested. His vanity wall? It's not his wall it's the wall that was passed back in 2006 but was never built the way they promised. These types of walls have proven to work. Did you tell congress that it was a hug waste of money back in 2006? Thought not! How is it a waste of money when illegal aliens cost us over $100 billion a year vs a $25 billion wall?
Once again, the 2006 law was the secure fence act. There are still areas tied up in court, therefore not built, because the property owners don't want it on their land.

However, the Democrats would be inclined to give additional money to boost personnel at the border. They are also inclined to give money to replace older fencing. Build a Trump memorial wall. . .not so much.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
There is no national emergency. Trump will lie and do whatever it takes to get this wall built. There was already a deal by both parties which Trump acknowledged he would sign. But he didn’t. So how do you negotiate with someone like that. And the only reason he’s so desperate to do this is because conservatives said he would never be re elected if he didn’t build this wall. He took full credit for the shutdown thinking democrats would cave. Pelosi will never cave though. She is way more shrewd than Trump gave her credit for. Trump has pretty much boxed himself in. There will be a national emergency if he doesn’t open up the government though. Our country will be in economic turmoil
Trump just doesn't have a clue. Nancy grew up in politics. Her father was the mayor of Baltimore. She's not Paul Ryan, who didn't come through with Trump's wall.

Once again, she's the most powerful woman in this country. She came through for W on several things on her last go round. I doubt that that will happen for Trump, after this.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:51 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Maybe you should tell these guys since you know so much more about the situation:
I just read an interview with Mark Morgan. He's the former Head of the Border Patrol under Barack Obama. He was then replaced by the Trump Administration. He says that anybody saying that the border crisis is manufactured “is misinformed, and they're misleading their American people. So before I was even Chief of the Border Patrol, I served in the FBI for two decades. One of my assignments is I led the El Paso office. From my office, right on the border, I could see Juarez, every single day. We worked with the DEA and all components of DHS, and we worked human trafficking cases, we worked drug cases, and we worked gang cases, all impacting the Southern border. And then as Chief, every single day, I was briefed, every single day about the men and women who are risking their lives every day, and they're apprehending murderers, rapists, pedophiles, other violent offenders, and gang members. That's not manufactured. That is real. And that's a fact and it's still happening today.”

“And I would also say one last point. 127 Border Patrol agents have died. They didn't die playing Monopoly. They died defending, being the frontline defenders of our borders, trying to apprehend those 17,000 people, those bad people that Secretary Nielsen mentioned. I wonder if you ask their families if this is a manufactured crisis.”

He said, “The President is talking to the leadership of CBP and the Board Patrol and the rank-and-file, and those are the experts. And they're saying the wall works. It doesn't work everywhere. It's not the end all to be all. But it works. Saying that drugs don’t come across the border is a complete disingenuous statement. So, you want to say because more drugs enter the points of entry, therefore, it's not a problem in between the port? That's just fictitious. It is correct that more drugs enter through the points of entry. But millions and millions of pounds of drugs still enter through the points of entry. They say no one comes illegally over an unsecured border. They're just people who overstayed their visas. Do illegals come over the border unapprehended. Yes, absolutely. But thats incredulous. I can't believe that someone could actually state that. Again, there's factual historical data that just says that's absolutely absurd. That's false.”

The Sheriff in Yuma, Arizona just published an article today where he talked about in 2005, when they started putting the fence, the wall up in his area, violent crime, all crime drastically reduced in his area.

Hector Garza, VP of the National Border Patrol Council was on TV the other day talking about how much it would help the Border Patrol do their job if there was a wall! He’s been on the Border Patrol for 18 years. He said that people that have never seen the situation up close but that are against a wall simply don’t know what they’re talking about! Active Border Patrol agents are better qualified to offer an opinion than Schumer and Pelosi!

Around here they’re putting 7-8 foot tall fences and walls around schools to make them more secure! Funny that they work there and for other countries but some geniuses here don’t think they’re effective!
The DEA is a huge part of the problem, they are in collusion with the drug cartels. I dont think there is any other way to explain how this much dope consistently reaches its destination, enough to even cause major heroin epidemics in multiple states!

Without a steady flow of drugs coming in, the DEA would be out of business, likewise, without the tough drug laws and DEA, the drug cartels would not have such a profitable market, they both rely on each other to thrive.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:54 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Another thing is my local news is reporting that if it goes to a state of emergency, then some of the wall funds might have to come out of the disaster relief and flood protection money for Louisiana. IN this case this would NOT be a good route. I trust our Senators from Louisiana to fight for us though and they're on very good terms with President Trump. The money can come out of liberal states like California, New York, and New Jersey and also from other areas like foreign aid to Mexico, Planned Parenthood etc. As long as Trump remembers who his base is.

The federal government has a responsibility to provide flood protection in Louisiana and to construct these new hurricane protection projects and to maintain the levees.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:57 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The DEA is a huge part of the problem, they are in collusion with the drug cartels. I dont think there is any other way to explain how this much dope consistently reaches its destination, enough to even cause major heroin epidemics in multiple states!

Without a steady flow of drugs coming in, the DEA would be out of business, likewise, without the tough drug laws and DEA, the drug cartels would not have such a profitable market, they both rely on each other to thrive.
More of that is coming to life with the El Chapo trial, El Chapo apparently had many people who he worked with at the DEA hence why so many drugs are coming in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Another thing is my local news is reporting that if it goes to a state of emergency, then some of the wall funds might have to come out of the disaster relief and flood protection money for Louisiana. IN this case this would NOT be a good route. I trust our Senators from Louisiana to fight for us though and they're on very good terms with President Trump. The money can come out of liberal states like California, New York, and New Jersey and also from other areas like foreign aid to Mexico, Planned Parenthood etc. As long as Trump remembers who his base is.

The federal government has a responsibility to provide flood protection in Louisiana and to construct these new hurricane protection projects and to maintain the levees.
Hence why Trump brought the California Wilfre thing up again.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:

You keep talking against federal money for states. They're already saying part of the money would come from Houston. Why should you get to keep yours?

Old 01-10-2019, 11:03 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
More of that is coming to life with the El Chapo trial, El Chapo apparently had many people who he worked with at the DEA hence why so many drugs are coming in.

Hence why Trump brought the California Wilfre thing up again.
If they raid the disaster fund, it should be taken from California and the fires, NOT from the Gulf Coast. We are Trump's base and he is smart enough to know he can't afford to lose our votes while he'll never win California anyway. Same with New York and New Jersey. The aid to Puerto Rico can be cut as well though most importantly we MUST cut foreign aid to Mexico and to all the countries whose citizens are in the caravan.

Or Trump can step up the game and order ICE to carry out an escalating series of deportation raids right in the Democrat strongholds in California and New York City until Pelosi and Schumer capitulate.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:13 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
If they raid the disaster fund, it should be taken from California and the fires, NOT from the Gulf Coast. We are Trump's base and he is smart enough to know he can't afford to lose our votes while he'll never win California anyway. Same with New York and New Jersey. The aid to Puerto Rico can be cut as well though most importantly we MUST cut foreign aid to Mexico and to all the countries whose citizens are in the caravan.

Or Trump can step up the game and order ICE to carry out an escalating series of deportation raids right in the Democrat strongholds in California and New York City until Pelosi and Schumer capitulate.
So emergency and disaster aide is no longer to help our fellow Americans who have been beset by horrible misfortune, but has now become political tribute? What kind of twisted world do you live in?

Old 01-10-2019, 11:23 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Of course not. Anyone who is sane can see that. It's not an "emergency."

But he will do it. I'm pretty sure of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies