Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is smoke shaming a good idea?
Yes, a very good idea! 49 33.79%
Only in extreme cases, like say smoking in front of a bunch of children. 31 21.38%
No, never. 59 40.69%
other (please explain below. 6 4.14%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 12:11 AM

2,362 posts, read 780,445 times

Advertisements

Driving your car fouls the air people breath far worse than smoking. Leave people alone. Unless they're breaking the law by smoking in a forbidden area, they're free to do as they wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 12:44 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,602,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yep.

Additionally, I don't want to smell it on my clothes.
Walking past one person smoking a cigarette at a distance is not going to make your clothes stink, any more than walking down the street in any major city will make your clothes smell like bus farts.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:52 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,593,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Walking past one person smoking a cigarette at a distance is not going to make your clothes stink, any more than walking down the street in any major city will make your clothes smell like bus farts.
That's not the situation in the post I was replying to......key words in that post....crowded, and middle of.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:59 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,607,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
What is working when it comes to lowering tobacco use is education. We are doing that without prohibition or throwing people in jail for tobacco possession or use. It is working. Usage is slowly dropping over time.

But I don't consider shaming a valid component of education.

Using your methods, you'll have people smoking even more just to spite you and your attitude.
Yeah, it's just like trying to shame people for supporting Trump. They'll double-down and do it even more, to spite their critics. Those who engage in irrational and harmful behavior do not welcome good advice.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:05 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,593,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I have never used tobacco products in my life, nor will I ever, and I know they have been referred to as "coffin nails" since the late 1800's. I have lost several friends due to cigarette smoking. But still, I will go to bat to defend anyone's right to use tobacco, in any form.

Some people get enjoyment from the act of smoking that goes beyond satisfying a nicotine addiction. Who am I to say they don't have a right to that enjoyment? But don't say it is because it is polluting your air. Unless you are in a confined, un-ventilated space, a smoker poses no health threat to you (unless you give them a dirty look, lol).
My grandmother was born in the 1890s. My mother told me that, before I was born, my grandmother used to refer to cigarettes as "coffin nails". My grandmother didn't start smoking until her kids were in college (in the 1940s). She ended up quitting at the same time her kids did and, fortunately, she lived into her 90s.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:16 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,602,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
That's not the situation in the post I was replying to......key words in that post....crowded, and middle of.
I know, and I didn't mean to single you out. My apologies. There are, however, people who've posted here acting as if even seeing a smoker from a mile away is a violation of their rights.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:49 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,214,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Driving your car fouls the air people breath far worse than smoking. Leave people alone. Unless they're breaking the law by smoking in a forbidden area, they're free to do as they wish.
What about the link between tobacco use and cancers (lung and mouth)? If the US is ever going to have single payer health insurance, then we'd need for all Americans to live a much healthier lifestyle. We need a lot more healthy living people in order to pull that off.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:13 AM

776 posts, read 395,928 times
People should be shamed for making others breathe in smoke against their will (this includes parents who force their kids to go inside smokey places), but people shouldn't be shamed for harming themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What about the link between tobacco use and cancers (lung and mouth)? If the US is ever going to have single payer health insurance, then we'd need for all Americans to live a much healthier lifestyle. We need a lot more healthy living people in order to pull that off.
A Dutch study showed that smoking actually reduces healthcare costs because smokers die off instead of living to burden the healthcare system. I find it interesting that America is more anti-smoking than many countries that have single-payer healthcare. Also keep in mind that tobacco taxes fund CHIP and relieve non-smokers of having to pay as much in taxes as they otherwise would.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:41 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,299,959 times
I have asthma, also. It’s pretty awful walking through cigarette smoke.

Cat, hopefully, you know I love you, and I definitely respect your opinion. I will keep an open mind on this topic, and I will refrain from being outwardly disgusted by smokers. (Yes, I’ve done this.) But, please know it really is terrible for many of us to walk through cigarette smoke. Sometimes—sometimes—those negative reactions are genuine.

Also, please, please no beach smoking... (Kidding...Not really, though.)

Old 01-11-2019, 05:42 AM

8,392 posts, read 4,387,081 times
You can buy smoke bombs that come in vibrant colors, are non toxic, safe to hold in your hand and last about 30 seconds. They release a large, dense cloud of colorful smoke with the pull of a string.

I though it would be fun to walk up to a group of smokers and set one off after saying, "mind if I join you?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies