Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is smoke shaming a good idea?
Yes, a very good idea! 49 33.79%
Only in extreme cases, like say smoking in front of a bunch of children. 31 21.38%
No, never. 59 40.69%
other (please explain below. 6 4.14%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 11:40 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You know I already said earlier I'm a smoker and have been harassed before like Travis is talking about doing. Some have said how they would get nasty maybe even physical. I wouldn't, in this age you just throw water on someone they call they cops and you get arrested for assault.

I might tell you a few colorful replies though.

Going back to health,a few years ago I did switch to a mom & pop tobacco store, supposedly their tobacco doesn't have all the chemicals the factory ones do. I did feel a difference in breathing, the taste is much more natural tobacco and the price half of factory cigarettes. I can't smoke factory cigs anymore I feel the difference in my lungs, they taste like crap now and between Obama $1 tax he did and state tax they went way up in price. Factory cigs that are cheaper just taste worse now and that's what many people went to as government jacked up the price, they didn't quit they just went to cheaper cigs.

Not saying my more natural tobacco is healthy but it sure seems so compared to factory.

Let me ask you all who support harassing smokers like Travis proposes, would you also to cigar and vapor users?
Cigars might be the only thing on Earth more vile than cigarettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 11:43 AM

18,390 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Smoking is an addiction harder than heroin the experts say to overcome . No amount of harassment and or, common sense talking will convince them to quit. When you are addicted you have an addicted mind set and you no longer think rationally about your vice. Which is why smokers say stuff like, I don’t want to quit, pointing out car emissions and bbq smoke as other hazards that have smoke in common As a smoker you can’t imagine how the odor lingers on you, or how distinctive it is. Smokers will quit when it dawns on them, they are done being controlled by a substance. Some continue to try to quit but are not able to do so. If you’ve never been addicted to cigs, you don’t have a clue what hold they have on you. Even the most addictive among smokers can’t comprehend the hold cigs have on them because they are deep into an addicted mind set, that refuses to acknowledge the problem. I have great sympathy for people who smoke! They don’t smoke because they want to, they smoke because they have to. Not everyone can manage the struggle, thankfully I was able to. Let the smoker alone, it does no good to poke the bear

Old 01-12-2019, 12:10 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Smoking is an addiction harder than heroin the experts say to overcome . No amount of harassment and or, common sense talking will convince them to quit. When you are addicted you have an addicted mind set and you no longer think rationally about your vice. Which is why smokers say stuff like, I don’t want to quit, pointing out car emissions and bbq smoke as other hazards that have smoke in common As a smoker you can’t imagine how the odor lingers on you, or how distinctive it is. Smokers will quit when it dawns on them, they are done being controlled by a substance. Some continue to try to quit but are not able to do so. If you’ve never been addicted to cigs, you don’t have a clue what hold they have on you. Even the most addictive among smokers can’t comprehend the hold cigs have on them because they are deep into an addicted mind set, that refuses to acknowledge the problem. I have great sympathy for people who smoke! They don’t smoke because they want to, they smoke because they have to. Not everyone can manage the struggle, thankfully I was able to. Let the smoker alone, it does no good to poke the bear
To expand on that, my mother went into the hospital because of gangrene on her right foot (among other reasons). That is how poor her circulation was due to a lifetime of smoking. She was around 60.

When she was released, the doctor looked her in the eye and told her that they got her foot warmed up enough to save it, but if she goes back home and resumes smoking, she would lose her foot.

My dad picked her up at the door, she got in the car, and the first words out of her mouth was "give me a cigarette". My dad tried to remind her what the doctor just said, but she interrupted him, and with gritted teeth, again demanded "GIVE ME A CIGARETTE".

She was back in the hospital within a year or two, where they amputated her leg because they knew her circulation was too poor for healing if they amputated only her foot.

She was dead a couple days later. She was 62 (same age I am now).

Regardless, I am still unbiased enough to know that shaming accomplishes nothing.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:47 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
My grandmother was born in the 1890s. My mother told me that, before I was born, my grandmother used to refer to cigarettes as "coffin nails". My grandmother didn't start smoking until her kids were in college (in the 1940s). She ended up quitting at the same time her kids did and, fortunately, she lived into her 90s.
I can do you one better. King James (of 'King James Bible' fame) wrote a tract called 'A Counterblaste to Tobacco' in 1604.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Coun...ste_to_Tobacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James
A custome lothsome to the eye, hatefull to the Nose, harmefull to the braine, dangerous to the Lungs, and in the blacke stinking fume thereof, neerest resembling the horrible Stigian smoke of the pit that is bottomelesse.
James tried to enact limits on tobacco importation, but to no avail. The evils of tobacco have been known for a long time, and it's time we did something about it. I am!

Old 01-12-2019, 12:48 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
To expand on that, my mother went into the hospital because of gangrene on her right foot (among other reasons). That is how poor her circulation was due to a lifetime of smoking. She was around 60.

When she was released, the doctor looked her in the eye and told her that they got her foot warmed up enough to save it, but if she goes back home and resumes smoking, she would lose her foot.

My dad picked her up at the door, she got in the car, and the first words out of her mouth was "give me a cigarette". My dad tried to remind her what the doctor just said, but she interrupted him, and with gritted teeth, again demanded "GIVE ME A CIGARETTE".

She was back in the hospital within a year or two, where they amputated her leg because they knew her circulation was too poor for healing if they amputated only her foot.

She was dead a couple days later. She was 62 (same age I am now).

Regardless, I am still unbiased enough to know that shaming accomplishes nothing.
Exercise helps with circulation. Believe it or not, some smokers regularly exercise. I completed a marathon in my mid-40s as a smoker.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:53 PM

Just two days ago I was waiting at a crosswalk when a UPS truck pulled up to make a right hand turn on red. His passenger door was wide open (is that even legal?) and I saw a cigarette dangling from his mouth. He gunned his engine, and made his turn. Just watching, I did not feel safe. The trucks weigh, what, 6 tons loaded? Unfortunately I lacked the presence of mind to get his plate so that I could call UPS to complain.

Since then I noticed that all UPS trucks seem to drive with both driver's and passenger's doors wide open. Anyone know if that is legal?

Old 01-12-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t
You actually strengthen my point, and I meant to mention this. Marijuana is now legal in Washington State, so now you can't really telling whether they're smoking tobacco or marijuana. I have friends who work in jobs where they are drug tested after any mishap exceeding $250 of loss/damage for the company. They worry all the time about losing their jobs due to second hand marijuana smoke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
LOL. If you can't tell the difference between Marijuana and tobacco smoke...…….your sense of smell is pathectic…..
I do actually have a very poor sense of smell due to respiratory illness when I was 7-8 years old. It was so bad they put me in a plastic tent in the hospital for several days. My dentist told me she could see the damage to my sinuses on my x-rays, and I hadn't even mentioned it to her!

I'm fine now (actually a marathon runner), but my sense of smell is still poor.

So you too strengthen my point. Why should I have to inhale a dangerous, once illegal intoxicant just because of my disability? What about my rights?

Old 01-12-2019, 01:15 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Just two days ago I was waiting at a crosswalk when a UPS truck pulled up to make a right hand turn on red. His passenger door was wide open (is that even legal?) and I saw a cigarette dangling from his mouth. He gunned his engine, and made his turn. Just watching, I did not feel safe. The trucks weigh, what, 6 tons loaded? Unfortunately I lacked the presence of mind to get his plate so that I could call UPS to complain.

Since then I noticed that all UPS trucks seem to drive with both driver's and passenger's doors wide open. Anyone know if that is legal?
It's legal for UPS/FedEx delivery drivers to drive with the side doors open.

It's not legal to roll through a red light while turning right on red (or through a stop sign ever, regardless of whether going straight or turning).

Old 01-12-2019, 01:19 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:

Are you saying that you would not have called UPS if there had not been a cigarette dangling from his mouth?

Old 01-12-2019, 01:25 PM

776 posts, read 394,754 times
Quote:
I can do you one better. King James (of 'King James Bible' fame) wrote a tract called 'A Counterblaste to Tobacco' in 1604.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Coun...ste_to_Tobacco

James tried to enact limits on tobacco importation, but to no avail. The evils of tobacco have been known for a long time, and it's time we did something about it. I am!
Parliament didn't listen to James because they feared that if they did, Britain's economy would fall behind France's and Spain's. In the Victorian era, some tried to warn of the dangers of smoking cigarettes, but then WWI made people think that smoking was patriotic and the failure of alcohol prohibition broke people's will to campaign against substance use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies