Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 11:59 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,071,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
True service dogs, I can understand. Emotional support animals are simply an excuse to take your dog, cat, iguana, mouse, snake, or porcupine shopping with you. If you are that messed up that you need your pet with you to function, you need help, and not the 4 legged kind.

The world is just getting wackier every day !
Dont you get prickly with my love muffin Spike. He's terrific at clearing an aisle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 04:24 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
According to the ADA law, it is legal ask if the the dog is a service animal that is required due to a disability, though not what that disability is, and what type of work the dog is trained to do.

Emotional support animals are not covered under that ADA law.

However, if a dog is trained specifically to sense the onset of panic attacks and respond in specific ways, it meets the criteria for being a service animal. Those who train dogs to do to say the training lats six months to a year.

Simple saying that you are calmer around your dog doesn't make it a service animal.

The employee should have asked what specific service(s) the dog was trained to provide.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:36 AM

19,233 posts, read 17,110,766 times
First let me say that I am grateful that this story is being reported by something other than Yahoo or Fox that does add legitimacy to it. I'm not going to question why the woman had the animal but if this animal is trained and certified which I doubt she would have documentation to present when requested. My guess is the doctor stated she should get a pet to help her with her PTSD, as others stated and I saw it is very simple to register a pet, buy a vest and go out in the world as a victim.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:42 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,169,313 times
All service dogs should be marked. Having said that, I blame all of the entitled azzholes who insist on bringing their pets everywhere. They have made it bad for everyone else.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:49 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
All service dogs should be marked. Having said that, I blame all of the entitled azzholes who insist on bringing their pets everywhere. They have made it bad for everyone else.

That is the point. At my work, we are pet friendly and even keep dog treats at the register, we love animals, me particularly. But when I see some people clinging to their "emotional support" pet, it makes me shake my head.

There are certain places where only service dogs should be permitted. I went into a grocery store one day, and there was a guy with a big dog on a leash, and they were in the meat department. The guy was looking at meat in the cooler, and his dog had his paws up on the sides of the cooler and had his head down among the meat. The guy was oblivious, and I almost said something, but decided to just walk away and not buy any meat that day.

I love my cats to death, but I find it hard to believe that I would ever get to the point where I would need them with me 24/7 to function.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:53 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,654,380 times
I know someone that served over a decade in the US Army with tours of Iraq and Afghanistan. She has a similarly trained dog. The dog is more trustworthy than most of the people I know. Perhaps something has to be done about the posers, though.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:49 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,634,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
First let me say that I am grateful that this story is being reported by something other than Yahoo or Fox that does add legitimacy to it. I'm not going to question why the woman had the animal but if this animal is trained and certified which I doubt she would have documentation to present when requested. My guess is the doctor stated she should get a pet to help her with her PTSD, as others stated and I saw it is very simple to register a pet, buy a vest and go out in the world as a victim.
I think it's unfair to "guess" that the animal was not a legitimate service dog. The article explains thoroughly the difference between service animals and support animals, and specifically says on several occasions that this dog was a service dog. I can't understand why so many people are so eager to jump to the conclusion that this woman was trying to put one over on everyone.

Also, no - as pointed out before, owners of service dogs are not required to carry or show proof that their animal is a service dog. I know it's a common myth, but it's simply not true, and to assert this is unfair to the person in question. In fact, it's against federal law to even ask for such documentation.

If the article is accurate, she did nothing wrong, and in fact handled the entire situation exactly by the book. Call me naive, but until someone shows another story that challenges the accuracy of the article, I'm gonna assume it's what actually happened.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:12 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,534,071 times
Because requiring documentation is the "papers please" for the disabled here. I fully support keeping the law as-is, a personal exchange, and the expecration of good behavior is all that should ever be required. Will a few abusers get through? Sure, but if their animals are also well-behaved, there's no problem. If they're not, then they can be asked to leave, same as a mis-behaving service animal.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:20 AM

1,066 posts, read 630,470 times
Why do you people support this nonsense. Just give the dog a license like a person has drivers license. Don’t have it? Can’t come in.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:39 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,500,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
That is the point. At my work, we are pet friendly and even keep dog treats at the register, we love animals, me particularly. But when I see some people clinging to their "emotional support" pet, it makes me shake my head.

There are certain places where only service dogs should be permitted. I went into a grocery store one day, and there was a guy with a big dog on a leash, and they were in the meat department. The guy was looking at meat in the cooler, and his dog had his paws up on the sides of the cooler and had his head down among the meat. The guy was oblivious, and I almost said something, but decided to just walk away and not buy any meat that day.

I love my cats to death, but I find it hard to believe that I would ever get to the point where I would need them with me 24/7 to function.
Dogs and grocery stores do not mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies