Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 12:34 PM

1,279 posts, read 853,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
is the person in the witness protection program or something? im not sure why you arent revealing the person's identity.

Because people's responses may vary if the offending people are Democrats or if they are Republicans. I'd rather keep things objective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 12:43 PM

6,117 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Person A & B-= Etiquette violation regardless of their political ideology.
Person C= Maybe a little passive-aggressive with a silent rebuttal of sorts, but not enough for an etiquette violation.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:37 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Who's at fault here: everyone, nobody or one side?.......Or is this an American gym in 2019?
Yup, it's America in 2019....a nation of adolescents who are either masturbating a smart phone or snarling about how terrible X,Y and Z are in the country. It's probably an expected balance of sorts, self-engrossment on the one hand (literally) and hate of the other.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:44 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
IMHO this gym and the people using it are swallowing up far too much of your life OP.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:54 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Who's at fault here: everyone, nobody or one side?.......Or is this an American gym in 2019?
Yup, it's America in 2019....a nation of adolescents of all ages who are either masturbating a smart phone or snarling about how terrible X,Y and Z are in the country. It's a psychotic balance of sorts, mindless self-engrossment on the one hand (literally) and a jumbled hatred of real and imaginary "outsiders" on the other.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:56 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,160 times
They are all nuts. Identity politics sucks the joy from life. They are addicted to self-righteous outrage or virtue signaling. It's in vogue these days. At the end of the day it's all meaningless and would not have changed the events of your day in the least no matter what was done by a politician.

News Flash: NO ONE in either political party is going to save you or make you safe.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:27 PM

5,194 posts, read 1,873,231 times
Hmmmmm. Sounds like a risky thing to get into at the gym. Someone could get really heated up and smash a dumbbell in yer face. I don't have enough time to talk in the gym, personally - I go in, do my exercises, get thoroughly out of breath in the process, stagger out with muscles screaming and the last thing I'm gonna do is have a conversation at that point, much less a political one.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
most of the people in the gym are just killing time. so why not talk politics?

i like it when people say dumb stuff. the other day a couple of kids (probably 17-20 years old) were talking in the locker room and made harshly negative anti-gay comments. i feel like it is good when people expose themselves as idiots. if they happen to speak negatively about a group i am a part of; it wouldnt bother me. when it comes to politics, i also dont care. people are very offended these days about other people's politics. instead of being among the offended; its best to just not care what other people say. it seems like everyone thinks that they have to shut up and maybe they should shut up but its really best to not care.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:57 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Who's at fault here: everyone, nobody or one side?

Persons A/B:

At my gym, two people come in and work out on elliptical machines together: they stand on the elliptical machines and move them, slowly, for 20 minutes. While they are on the elliptical machines, they discuss their political views very loudly: they wear T-shirts with the name of their political party on them, and they very loudly refer to members of the other main party in a disparaging way (think "Nazis" or "Communists"). The whole gym can hear them.

Person C:

This guy wears a T-shirt from a Senator's political campaign, with the senator's name on it. I commented on it one day and he mentioned that he wears it just so Persons A/B will be quiet. I watched him, and when Persons A/B began yelling one day about how much they despise members of the other political party, he walked over to them and got on the elliptical machine next to them. Persons A/B saw the shirt, definitely noticed it and stormed off.

Person D:

He wears a T-shirt from a Presidential campaign over 10 years ago. I asked him about it and he said that it's a T-shirt, and he needs gym clothes, so he wears it. He did not comment about politics.

Are they all nuts? Or are Persons A/B obnoxious and Person C petty? Or is this an American gym in 2019?

If D is just wearing an old t-shirt, who cares.

Persons A, B, and C, however are idiots.

Let me say this as clearly as possible. If you think every venue, every conversation, every errand, every whatever, is a plum opportunity for you to pop off about your political beliefs, then you are nothing more than a narcissistic jerk who thinks people actually care what you think. What's more, it also means you're kind of shallow because, in the real scheme of things, politics should be about 2% of who you are.

That's not to say that politics is unimportant. Instead, it's your particular political opinion that is unimportant.

If I'm at the gym, I want to think about my workout. I want to empty my mind, not listen to a bunch of nitwits parrot whatever they read in the HuffPo or heard on Rush Limbaugh. Shut the hell up already.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:37 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times
Have some fun and wear a t shirt that they can wonder about?

An idea....

We will only allow what we want you to see
We will only program what we want you to think
We will only broadcast what we want you to hear

Reject Your Programming

I'll second Captain NJ's comment....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies