Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 05:35 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...ef4382209.html

Was his slur intentional and does it matter what his intent was.

"Coon"? Now what was going through his head when he said that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 05:48 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
I'm guessing as reporters all of them knew about the Coon incidents with MLK whether it was relative or just a random guy on video. I have said MLK Jr.'s full name a dozen times a year. Never once said Coon. But my excuse is, I didn't even know it existed, now that I've heard it, I guess it's possible for that to happen. But I feel it would be very hard to say that on live TV of all places if you hadn't used that often or know someone who used that often. For all I know their childhoods could have been filled with Racist relatives.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:01 AM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...ef4382209.html

Was his slur intentional and does it matter what his intent was.

Who?

Old 01-22-2019, 06:36 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
"Coon"? Now what was going through his head when he said that?
I've never heard that expression before so it must be some regional thing. If you have to say "Junior" right after "King" it's easy to meld the two vowel sounds together and say "koon". I don't believe he used the word casually before, and I've certainly never heard that as a racial slur.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:41 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I'm guessing as reporters all of them knew about the Coon incidents with MLK whether it was relative or just a random guy on video. I have said MLK Jr.'s full name a dozen times a year. Never once said Coon. But my excuse is, I didn't even know it existed, now that I've heard it, I guess it's possible for that to happen. But I feel it would be very hard to say that on live TV of all places if you hadn't used that often or know someone who used that often. For all I know their childhoods could have been filled with Racist relatives.
Yeah, I struggle with this. Never in my life have I said “coon†when saying Martin Luther King Jr.

Never.

But, it’s obviously a thing because these mistakes are becoming common. Could it be some kind of mental tic? Or people are so afraid of saying it that they inevitably do? It’s just so odd. I don’t think all these people are intentionally using the slur.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:42 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Having spent a some time around TV newsrooms I'll let you in on a little secret. The vast majority of anchors do very little 'shoe leather' reporting. They are, in large part, hired because they project some illusion of gravitas and (and it's a BIG AND) they have some skill reading a TelePrompTer.

That said, if you're unable to meet the minimum job requirement (see: read a TelePrompTer) then perhaps you're in the wrong line of work. Unless the word "Coon" was projected on that one-way prompter mirror, they failed to do the job they are being paid for. Too bad, so sad but there's a never ending supply of J-school grads waiting in line that are perfectly capable of reading a script without uttering racial epithets planned or unplanned.
Yeah, anyone who makes a mistake need not apply. In what world do you live in where everyone is perfect? Mistakes are made every single day in news rooms and on air. You people who see racism everywhere are the real problem in this world. You're just ugly people.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:15 AM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
I've never heard that expression before so it must be some regional thing. If you have to say "Junior" right after "King" it's easy to meld the two vowel sounds together and say "koon". I don't believe he used the word casually before, and I've certainly never heard that as a racial slur.
If your job is to simply read a teleprompter verbatim clearly and distinctly and you are not capable of doing that perhaps you should find another line of work. He is a meteorologist. I am sure he can work behind the scenes in his occupation.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:54 AM

1,768 posts, read 568,078 times
The gymnastics people are doing on this thread to excuse or even justify the use of a racial slur is Olympic level. It is rivaled only by the lengths people (probably the same people) go to when arguing that any black person shot by the police must have deserved it.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:12 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
The gymnastics people are doing on this thread to excuse or even justify the use of a racial slur is Olympic level. It is rivaled only by the lengths people (probably the same people) go to when arguing that any black person shot by the police must have deserved it.
The gymnastics you are doing on this thread to justify that an honest mistake is a reason to fire someone is worthy of a Gold Medal in the Drama Queen Olympics.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:13 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
If your job is to simply read a teleprompter verbatim clearly and distinctly and you are not capable of doing that perhaps you should find another line of work. He is a meteorologist. I am sure he can work behind the scenes in his occupation.
Like becoming President?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies