Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2019, 07:07 PM

672 posts, read 256,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
He probably doesn't even have an ancestor that was involved. I admit they did some serious brainwashing back then it's crazy how the southern elite were able to manipulate the low class southerns into fighting a war for them, and still to this day they're fighting for a battle that had nothing to do with them.
Sort of like the modern day Rebuplicans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 10:07 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,409,159 times
Was it all wrong? Yes. But before everyone gets all too high and mighty, I want to remind everyone that the North had Slaves too. Probably for about 200 years, some areas longer. It was actually the North that imported a large amount of them. Yes, the Northern influenced school books never taught you that. But read it for yourselves. Research the Rhode Island Slave import history. Some Northern States also had Slaves in some areas just before, during and right up until the "End" of the Civil War. I can produced online records for anyone who can't locate them for themselves, if anyone wishes.

Here is a good link to start on:

https://www.brown.edu/Facilities/Joh...ibSlavery.html

Here is the Chart that includes Northern States that I mentioned above:

http://www.civildiscourse-historyblo...d-in-the-north

Last edited by 16 Acres; 01-30-2019 at 10:27 PM..

Old 01-30-2019, 10:16 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,610,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’ve yet to have Southern Pride explained to me. Pride about what? There’s nothing unique about the South.

So you’re from the South...AND???
If you take pride in anything, then you needn't have it explained.
btw: what does it mean to you to be an American? hello

Old 01-30-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
"My forefathers courageously lost a civil war fought for a rotten cause!"
Fighting against a tyrannical government, normally is ...

Old 01-30-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I cannot rep you again but I would if I could. More people need to stand up for southern culture and southern rights. I agree with everything you have said, really I can’t think of anything I could add to it. The southern idea of states rights is also what most of the founding fathers believed in. These leftists have become accustomed to using the federal government as a club to beat us into submission but they are constitutionally wrong. If they keep this up a day will come when the confederate flag they object to will not just be on a T shirt or bumper sticker but it will again fly over the state houses of our states in a new Confederacy. There are limits to the amount of tyranny they can dish out before we stand up again.
By the way I am also a transplant although I have been here a while. I fully embrace southern culture and values. This is my home and I will stand up for Southern Rights. There is no comparison between life in the north and life here in the South. You could not pay me enough to move up north and deal with all that. I am pretty sure they would kick me out anyway

Old 01-30-2019, 10:29 PM

Scanned through most other's comments and found it interesting that no one addressed the issue of free speech on a school campus.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:09 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,600,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Scanned through most other's comments and found it interesting that no one addressed the issue of free speech on a school campus.
There is nothing unusual about a high school having a dress code that prohibits specific items.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:46 AM

73,092 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
LMAO!
I grew up in Mississippi and spent the first 24 years of my life around people spouting the same rubbish. Lived in Texas for over a decade after that and didn't hear it as much, but it wasn't uncommon. The traitor flag is the flag of losers. Those that cling to it are stuck in the past. The south will not rise again and that hideous flag of the traitors will not be flying again and there will not be a new Confederacy. And I will embarrassingly admit that I drove a truck with a confederate tag on the front bumper, believing all the nonsense you just spouted because I was too young and dumb to think for myself. I dropped all of that garbage 15 years ago, and even remained a regular Republican voter until 2008, so it wasn't liberals that changed my mind. It was seeing all the disdain for the US government coming from people who called themselves patriots while supporting the traitor flag that fought to destroy the same country they believe they are patriotic to.

The south lost. The confederacy is gone forever and any comments about it coming back again are just coming from butt hurt racists who can't stand that the south got their butts kicked in the war. You can pile all the states rights nonsense you want on top of the love for the traitor flag and the traitor confederacy, but they only wanted states rights when it worked to their benefit, not as an actual value that they believed in.

I still love plenty about Mississippi, plenty of the food, southern hospitality, the pine forests, and more. But the confederate flag is the biggest dark cloud hanging over the state, holding people back from moving on from the traitors of the confederacy.
Interesting take on the situation. I live in Georgia. I have lived in other states (notably Washington state and Texas). I have grown up in Georgia. One particular county I lived in during middle school and high school, I saw plenty of kids wearing Confederate flags. I got a history lesson from my father about the Confederate flag. He told me about what the Confederate flag represents early on, at age 13, 14 years old. I was taught in school that slavery did play a role in the South seceding. However, there were times when I called other students out on wearing Confederate flag t-shirts, particularly the Dixie Outfitter shirts. Let's just say I got the "it's wasn't about slavery it was states rights" line. I also got the "it's southern heritage" line.

I'm not hearing it as much these days, mostly because I don't talk about it. I make sure not to talk about it in public for the most part. Some people you just can't talk to.

When you mention your younger days, I wonder how you and me would have gotten along. Myself being a staunch opponent of the Confederate flag.

I agree with you that it is the flag of traitors. It is the flag of those who are basically treasonous. And what makes this even more ironic is that southerners are the most heavily represented in the U.S. military. That should be even more reason NOT to fly the Confederate flag.

The states' rights line is just a cop out. Those who do their research know that "states rights" for the Confederates was about the states' right to own slaves. The Confederacy is long gone. The former Confederate states lost the war. I see the same butt hurt that you are seeing. Some people just refuse to admit to it. A matter of saving face.

The last statement you mention, Mississippi is where the blues originated. Several southern writers come from Mississippi. There are things of pride that Mississippi can claim. The South as a whole has things it can claim and have pride for. All the more reason I find it quite bizarre that some people would pick the Confederate flag as a big symbol of southern heritage.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:52 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times
Quote:
If you take pride in anything, then you needn't have it explained.
btw: what does it mean to you to be an American? hello
Being American is distinct from being let’s say...Norwegian.

What is dinstictive about being from below the Mason Dixon line? Oh yeah...nothing. At least nothing to be proud of.

Quote:
Fighting against a tyrannical government, normally is ...
Uhhhhh...to be free of a tyrannical government in order to practice brutal tyranny on 4 million black Americans.

Yeah,..be proud of that. Be real proud.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:00 AM

73,092 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
That's an excellent point to make, I'm surprised it never occurred to me.
It is something that hasn't occurred to most people. Even more ironic considering the history of the United States of America and what we know regarding slavery. It is something alot of people do not consider when it comes to the Confederate flag. Most Black Americans have roots in the South. Whether they are born and raised southerners (which is the majority) or Black Americans born outside of the South (descendants of Blacks who left the South in several waves of the Great Migration/those who escaped the South to be free during slavery days), Black Americans, for the most part, have roots in the South.

Just by census numbers a majority of Blacks in America are southerners. And I live in the South (Georgia). I don't see any Black people in this state flying Confederate flags from their cars. In fact, most of the Black persons I've met in Georgia don't like the Confederate flag. I don't hear any "it's my southern heritage" from Blacks. I've made that point several times before. However, it is a point almost no one wants to discuss.

It begs some other questions. If a majority of Blacks are southerners but don't claim the Confederate flag as part of their "southern heritage", then is the Confederate flag really about southern heritage at all? Whose southern heritage are we talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies