Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 05:42 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Taxing cigarettes like crazy hasnt worked though, Cigs are the number one best selling product in the gas station/ convenience store chain I work for, everytime they raise the taxes, sales do not drop at all.

Just remember that the drug cartels want the drug war to march on as well, its the only way they have such a profitable market, the simple fact that we have numerous heroin epidemics across many cities and states should be telling you that something is wrong with this 'drug war'...how effective are they, when this amount of drugs consistently reach their destination and the end user?
It has worked to some extent. Smoking rate is at an all-time low, about 14% of Americans. The rate in the early 1960s was 42%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 05:44 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
the drug war is a source of income for police departments, without that fund money, they would have to layooff cops and sell cars. there will never end the war. its like the mullier investergation, as long as money coming in, why be successful. let it ride

Old 01-29-2019, 05:52 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
It seems to me the biggest problems our neighbors to the south have is America's neverending war on drugs, and all of that money is funding the drug cartels in the south, which in turn terrorize those countries. If we as a nation finally told the government to stop the war on drugs and invest all of that money into rehab programs, do you think it will help the people south have a better way of life without the US funding the drug lords so much anymore?
Absolutely. No Question.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:16 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
We have never truly had a drug war. If we did we never would have had an opioid epidemic or entire communities shattered by meth. We need to try a real war...similar to what the Philippines is doing. Declare drug addicts as enemies of the state and have our military hunt them down. Eventually those drug cartels will have no customers to sell to.
Drugs were always winning, anyway. Narcs estimate they only seize 10% of the underground drug market. It's really been a war on people, not drugs.

How shall we raise your taxers to pay for undercover military agents to go undercover to find druggies? Then how shall we raise your taxes again to pay to build new prisons to put druggies in when they're caught? The U. S. is one of the most imprisoned nations in the world, and many prisons are overcrowded.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:48 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Drugs were always winning, anyway. Narcs estimate they only seize 10% of the underground drug market. It's really been a war on people, not drugs.

How shall we raise your taxers to pay for undercover military agents to go undercover to find druggies? Then how shall we raise your taxes again to pay to build new prisons to put druggies in when they're caught? The U. S. is one of the most imprisoned nations in the world, and many prisons are overcrowded.
I have always felt that prisons are one of the best things to spend taxes on. I would cut spending from other programs and transfer those funds to prisons.

The U.S is one of the most imprisoned countries because we have a lot of bad people here...it is part of our culture. We have an aggressive culture...criminals share that aggression..they just channel it into deviant areas.

I would also say our high rate of imprisonment has been a resounding success as our crime rate has fallen dramatically. Many of those beloved drug addicts in prison today would be robbing stores and invading homes to get money for their next fix. Just knowing they are in prison right now is cause for celebration.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:59 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
The U.S is one of the most imprisoned countries because we have a lot of bad people here...it is part of our culture. We have an aggressive culture.
If that is the case, then why are U.S. prisons mostly filled with low-income people from urban areas?

I disagree that mainstream, middle-class Americans have an aggressive culture.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:09 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Have you considered how many jobs would be lost if the DEA was eliminated? It is nearly impossible to delete a Federal (or State, for that matter) bureaucracy!

Old 01-30-2019, 06:40 AM

1,203 posts, read 618,390 times
First, Suboxone film just went generic. In about 6 months, prices should start there downward slide and eventually bottom out.

The government has been regulating healthcare since the mid to late 19th century. The first regulations had to do with training and licensure of providers. Regulation of medications started with the Pure Food and Drug act of 1906. That law was mostly about manufacture and labeling. The sad thing is with almost every significant drug regulation, you can associate a tragic event.

The DEA was set up by the Controlled Substance Act. However, there were other laws regulating addicting substances before its approval in 1970.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:26 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
I have always felt that prisons are one of the best things to spend taxes on. I would cut spending from other programs and transfer those funds to prisons.

The U.S is one of the most imprisoned countries because we have a lot of bad people here...it is part of our culture. We have an aggressive culture...criminals share that aggression..they just channel it into deviant areas.

I would also say our high rate of imprisonment has been a resounding success as our crime rate has fallen dramatically. Many of those beloved drug addicts in prison today would be robbing stores and invading homes to get money for their next fix. Just knowing they are in prison right now is cause for celebration.
What a joke. What planet do you live on? People like you are an unbelievably huge part of the problem. IMHO, of course, lol.

I guess it takes one to know one. Here is a recent post of yours, from another thread. Talk about aggression!

I believe if we do just the OPPOSITE of what you spout, meaning that mean-spirited people like you are the ones hunted down, imprisoned, and killed, THEN we would have a much better society:

Quote:
I know that I loved the Waco massacre (I'm probably the only right winger who would say that). The thing is I hate polygamists with a passion. They are such a threat to civilization that I believe the government should set every polygamist compound on fire and hunt down and kill every man who has multiple wives.
Wow!

Old 01-30-2019, 08:52 AM

256 posts, read 140,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
What a joke. What planet do you live on? People like you are an unbelievably huge part of the problem. IMHO, of course, lol.

I guess it takes one to know one. Here is a recent post of yours, from another thread. Talk about aggression!

I believe if we do just the OPPOSITE of what you spout, meaning that mean-spirited people like you are the ones hunted down, imprisoned, and killed, THEN we would have a much better society:

Wow!
Sounds like Jay F could use a few Js or a vape pen...

Originally Posted by Jay F
I know that I loved the Waco massacre (I'm probably the only right winger who would say that). The thing is I hate polygamists with a passion. They are such a threat to civilization that I believe the government should set every polygamist compound on fire and hunt down and kill every man who has multiple wives.

WOW is an understatement...Most men are smart enough not to have more than one wife - I elect not to have any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies