Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2019, 06:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't know, the bible belt doesn't seem to be doing all that well compared to more irreligious areas like New England and Colorado, which are healthier states all around. Out of wedlock births are low in those heathen states as well. Go figure.
And many of those who would not qualify are unqualified due to preexisting conditions, not lifestyle choices.

According to HHS, 50% of the non- elderly have at least one preexisting condition that could disqualify them from enrollment in the Individual Plan Market, without insurers being required to Guarantee Issue.

I view the whole Christian thing of these co-ops as creating a perception of exclusiveness, a marketing hook.

It’s swell, it seems to work well for some people, some of the time.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:49 AM

958 posts, read 304,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
That's not a "big claim."

My $400,000 for the diagnosis and treatment of my cancer (cheap, as those things go) and subsequent $150,000 and counting toward follow up costs are big claims. Those are the types of things that this type of program handles incredibly poorly and looks for excuses to boot people or push people to government programs.
You're lying. Provide proof of the claim you just made.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Atheist agenda eg. people have the right not to be a fundamentalist Christian. Too bad you can’t conduct torture executions for blasphemy and apostasy. I’m sure you’d like to.

The only difference between Iran and the USA Republicans want is the holy book they want to rule by.
Saudi might be a better example than Iran.

Iran is liberal compared to long time US ally, Saudi Arabia.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And many of those who would not qualify are unqualified due to preexisting conditions, not lifestyle choices.

According to HHS, 50% of the non- elderly have at least one preexisting condition that could disqualify them from enrollment in the Individual Plan Market, without insurers being required to Guarantee Issue.

I view the whole Christian thing of these co-ops as creating a perception of exclusiveness, a marketing hook.

It’s swell, it seems to work well for some people, some of the time.
HHS--Government agency filled with leftwing bureaucrats whose goal is to expand government healthcare. But I think the majority of adult 'ailments' have to do with past booze and cigarette use. Plus, if you're a 300-pound hippo, you're going to have some issues, even though they were very preventable.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:54 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
It's pretty simple. You have a checklist of names. When a check comes in, you record it and the date received. You keep track of your receipts. Are you an adult? Can you keep simple records?
Said like someone who has never faced a life-altering illness or the stresses that go with it.

I am an adult. I also had severe cognitive impacts from chemotherapy and was trying to balance multiple weekly appointments, handfuls of medication, taking care of myself, and working full time. Add in keeping track of hundreds of checks a month, reconciling those with both what I was expecting and my medical bills, and negotiating with my medical providers would have been yet ANOTHER full time job. Insurance does all of that for me.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:57 AM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Calling them both garbage explains a lot.

And personally, limiting membership to Christians doesn't sound very Christian or charitable to me.

Beautiful.........Other religious organizations that have been around longer than Christianity should learn by example.............

Old 02-04-2019, 07:01 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
You're lying. Provide proof of the claim you just made.
From the website of Samaritan Health:

Quote:
Samaritan Classic has a $250,000 limit per medical need and Samaritan Basic offers a limit of $236,500.
Citation: https://samaritanministries.org/membership-levels#needs

Now, it does mention a "Save to Share" program, but as far as I can tell from the website, you can optionally save an additional amount. Doesn't help much if you don't have decades to save.

Some other gems:

* Prescriptions for shareable medical needs can be shared for up to a 120 day supply. Prescriptions for chronic, ongoing conditions are not shareable past this limit, but members have access to a discount prescription card to help keep out-of-pocket costs low. See VIII.B.28 for details.

* Maternity benefits are only up to $5000 for the basic plan. That won't even pay for a healthy, complication-free birth.

This is a junk plan.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Since you didn't address my previous question - are you really saying that all payments go directly to patients? That sounds atrocious from the point of the sick person.
Yes. Payments go to the sick person. You think a sick person seeing checks coming in with notes of encouragement wouldn't feel good about it? I certainly did.

Quote:
What if one month there are less claims? Do you pay less?
Yes. A few times in four years have I received an email saying our payment would be say $465 instead of the usual $495. I think three times in 25 years has there been a month where demand exceeded assigned payments. In that instance, 90% of each need was covered, and members were asked to volunteer the difference the next month, which they did. So the record remains intact 100% of every need has been covered since Samaritan's inception.

Quote:
This system as you describe it makes absolutely zero sense.
It makes perfect sense and works very well. I know firsthand it does.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:20 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
No deductible. But there are RULES. You have to be a Christian, attend Christian church services at least three times a month, get your pastor to sign off on it, abstain from smoking, drinking to excess, and sex outside of marriage.
My colleague has one. He is a great example of how a real Christian man should be. Always helps others.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
From the website of Samaritan Health:

Citation: https://samaritanministries.org/membership-levels#needs

Now, it does mention a "Save to Share" program, but as far as I can tell from the website, you can optionally save an additional amount. Doesn't help much if you don't have decades to save.

Some other gems:

* Prescriptions for shareable medical needs can be shared for up to a 120 day supply. Prescriptions for chronic, ongoing conditions are not shareable past this limit, but members have access to a discount prescription card to help keep out-of-pocket costs low. See VIII.B.28 for details.

* Maternity benefits are only up to $5000 for the basic plan. That won't even pay for a healthy, complication-free birth.

This is a junk plan.
The save to share aspect, which I have, is money you set aside for larger needs for others. Depending on family size it's $133, $266, or $399 a year. That is the max you will pay. In our four years, less than half of the set-aside money has been asked for. When it is asked for, it usually in the $15 a month range for somebody's special need. It insures you up into the millions if you need it. It's truly remarkable coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies