Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2019, 01:33 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,046,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
It grosses me out even when people of the opposite sex kiss eachother. I've never been an affectionate person, and I really despise romance and nudity in movies and books, and don't care much to see it in public. In fact, I try to avoid going out into public because I tend to be anti-social.
Sounds fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 01:33 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,406,428 times
If a couple is to have public displays of affection, try to find a more secluded place like in the bushes at a park.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:46 PM

8,316 posts, read 3,939,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't care, but don't be surprised if some guy calls you some homophobic epithets.
Nothing surprises me these days. In the Trump era, people definitely feel more encouraged to openly express their bigotry and meanness.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:51 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,575,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You said in your OP that your husband likes to be affectionate with you everywhere you go, so that sounds to me like more than occasionally and that sometimes it must be happening in some places where it would be highly inappropriate for anyone to be doing it.

With regard to your question - okay, you asked, so here goes: I don't care about people's orientation and partnerships - that is none of my business, I'm not interested and I seriously do NOT want to know about it and I want it kept out of my face. So when anyone of any orientation puts on displays of affection in public they are advertising themselves, making a public statement and making their personal business my business and the business of everyone else they encounter in public with no consideration for everyone else's sense of personal privacy and public decorum.

Personally I don't appreciate other people publically forcing their personal business onto me, I do consider it a blatant invasion of whatever little privacy I have remaining to me in public. I see public displays of affection as being no different from the nature of uncontrolled, horny, excitable piddling puppies ineffectually humping the legs of strangers who are passing by. When puppies try to do that they get kicked and yelled at by the strangers they're trying to hump.

I have no doubt that many other people feel the same way, although maybe not in the same visual terms, but still the same principle. It's an invasive nuisance. My point being that if your husband is going to be demonstrating his affectionate puppyish nature with you everywhere you go in public then you need to expect that some people will be offended enough by the nuisance of it in their faces that they will yell slurs at you, and maybe even kick you .... or worse. So if you're going to be that way in public you should get used to some other people's reactions to your invasion of their privacy and recognize you have no grounds for complaint. Or else keep your affections confined to the privacy of non-public places, which is what the majority of conscientious and considerate people do anyway.

Give it a rest.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:56 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,646,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Nothing surprises me these days. In the Trump era, people definitely feel more encouraged to openly express their bigotry and meanness.
Exactly! When we’re at a bar/restaurant, we should be able to hold hands, or a quick kiss if we want to! Why are gay couples expected to act like total strangers in public?

Old 02-04-2019, 02:27 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,229,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
It doesn't both me to see gays/lesbians kiss and hold hands in public. My first thought is....they just want attention....."look at us, look at us".
Do you think that heterosexual couples holding hands just want attention?

Old 02-04-2019, 02:36 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,074,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Give it a rest.

That was my first post on this topic - which is more than you can say for yourself who won't give it a rest (what's the matter puppy, do you feel like nobody is paying enough attention to you?) - and I get the distinct impression from this last one of yours that you related to what I said and it hit a big petulant fragile nerve of yours. Hmmm? Keep in mind I was responding to the OP (as requested), not to you, and it's not your place to speak on the OP's behalf nor tell other responders to not post or to give it a rest. So go .... umm, bark ..... up another tree or give it a rest yourself.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:41 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,795,704 times
I think it's lovely when I see people expressing kindness and affection toward one another. End of story. Simple as that.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:47 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,726,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
My husband likes to be affectionate everywhere we go (not in an obscene way), I just wonder if it bothers anyone to see two people of the same sex kissing or holding hands in public?
I love seeing people happily in love so it’s perfectly okay with me.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:02 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,074,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Do you think that heterosexual couples holding hands just want attention?

I doubt this thread is really about any people holding hands in public, no matter what their orientation is. I'm pretty sure the thread is about an agenda driven demand for more attention than is necessary though.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies