Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2019, 03:15 PM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Those are examples of business taxation, not personal liabilities (which this thread is about). I was waiting for someone to drop the "it will cost jobs" card...
One word for you: shareholders. When publicly traded corporations are taxed, that means less profit goes to the shareholders, which is an invisible albeit real form of additional taxation on individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Its marginal so nobody would be paying 70%. It would encourage investment in the company, higher salaries for employees, capital etc.

What is clear is the current trajectory of wealth inequality is unsustainable.
The only problem with that is very little CapEx and such comes out of personal financing, at least at the $10M+ levels we're addressing. There's a whole world of financing instruments solely devoted to business requirements. The old rule #1 of getting wealthy: Use someone else's money.

Why is it that Trump attempted (and failed) to get a loan for $150M from Deutsche Bank to fix up a golf course in Scotland when presumably he has that kind of cash sitting around if he's as wealthy as advertised?

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Thanks for the philosophy lesson but bottom-line is it's no skin off the nose of anyone posting here and considering the increased run up in the budget deficient the funds will be of use.

So cut spending then.

There is no moral justification for taxing any American citizen at a higher or lower percentage of his income than any other American citizen.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
One word for you: shareholders. When publicly traded corporations are taxed, that means less profit goes to the shareholders, which is an invisible albeit real form of additional taxation on individuals.
But we're talking about AOC's proposal on personal income taxes. You're implying that investment would cease if the ROI gets nicked more. Nope.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
So cut spending then.

There is no moral justification for taxing any American citizen at a higher or lower percentage of his income than any other American citizen.
Well then you've just thrown out the entire manner in which our government is financed.
(Still one more good reason to shift to a flat rate)

Old 02-04-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Time to stop redefining robbery to suit your tastes.

Any and all taxation beyond what is necessary for the Constitutional functions of government is tantamount to theft.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:29 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Thats a nice fiction. When was it signed?

Source; https://pics.me.me/tonight-on-unsolv...m-35886356.png

https://onsizzle.com/i/the-social-co...about-15181324

Old 02-04-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
That is part of the social contract and what the people agreed upon in the US and every other country on Earth. Unlike you I am a pragmatist I am for what works. You are a idealist you think nice sounding theories are a better basis for organizing a society.

I never signed a "social contract" .

And I certainly would have never signed one that allows the other party in the contract to change the rules of the contract at their sole discretion.

"Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's" does not mean that Ceasar gets to decide how much is his and how much is yours.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:40 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
As close to an answer as I'll get

Old 02-04-2019, 03:40 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I never signed a "social contract" .

Great move to Somalia or go live off grid if it bothers you so much. No skin off my back if you choose to stand by your convictions and drop out.

And I certainly would have never signed one that allows the other party in the contract to change the rules of the contract at their sole discretion.
Not really sure what your driving at here. If you don't like the laws lobby to change them its pretty simple. Of course running away and hiding in the woods is easier.

"Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's" does not mean that Ceasar gets to decide how much is his and how much is yours.
Sure it does thats how governments work. Don't like it go hide in the woods at least then you are standing by your principles.
Responses in Red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies