Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 07:07 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,696,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Coral Ridge and Las Olas are completely different neighborhoods. You can park a 150 ft yacht in your back yard canal in Las Olas (see pic), while in Coral Ridge you can park a 20 ft boat on a trailer on your driveway.

So, Trump is trying to stick it to the blue States because it makes his base happy, and libs in blue States will flood to the red States to save money, and turn those red States blue. Is this really such a great strategy?
Actually, the calc is easier than that. Without traditional blue or purple states (and a very low margin), trump would have not squeezed out an EC victory.

So all that needs be is for a few wealthier folks in traditionally blue states and swing states to vote against him for "sticking it to them" and he's done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 07:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Actually, the calc is easier than that. Without traditional blue or purple states (and a very low margin), trump would have not squeezed out an EC victory.

So all that needs be is for a few wealthier folks in traditionally blue states and swing states to vote against him for "sticking it to them" and he's done.
The margin of victory was very narrow in many States, so it should not take too many unhappy New Yorkers to move down here and vote Dem to tip the scales.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:06 AM

1,640 posts, read 796,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Anyone who has to pay federal income tax on a higher percentage of their gross income than you do, due to egregiously high blue state SALT tax deductions. Thank goodness that's over!!!!! VERY smart move limiting the SALT deduction. It makes the rich (which Dems think is anyone who has more than they do) pay more, which is what the left always says they want.
How is it possible for a lower wage earner to be paying a higher percentage of their income when my effective tax rate is higher? You don’t complain about the lower tax rates for unearned income like capital gains. So, why the demand for more from earned income? Rich people aren’t rich from drawing W2s.

ETA: Also, do you likewise take issue with pre-tax 401K contributions? And why thank goodness? What do you think is going to happen with the few extra thousand dollars? That is a question I have been asking myself the past few weeks.

Last edited by Cassy Fae; 02-08-2019 at 09:35 AM..

Old 02-08-2019, 11:07 AM

89,090 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
How is it possible for a lower wage earner to be paying a higher percentage of their income when my effective tax rate is higher?
Try using better reading comprehension skills. THIS is what I posted:
Quote:
Anyone who has to pay federal income tax on a higher percentage of their gross income than you do, due to egregiously high blue state SALT tax deductions. Thank goodness that's over!!!!! VERY smart move limiting the SALT deduction. It makes the rich (which Dems think is anyone who has more than they do) pay more, which is what the left always says they want.
Are you admitting that you DON'T understand what that means?

Old 02-08-2019, 11:15 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,378,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Multiple supporters of President Donald Trump over the past couple of weeks have taken to Twitter to air their grievances about the president’s signature tax cut plan. Here's one example.

https://twitter.com/973angie/status/1088151062111023104

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/tru...gops-tax-plan/

I suspect there is going to be much more of this as more people realize how badly Trump and the GOP screwed the middle class.
I thought not paying taxes was stealing from the government?

Why do you care?

Which side are you on?

Old 02-08-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Try using better reading comprehension skills. THIS is what I posted: Are you admitting that you DON'T understand what that means?
No, I am not really understanding this and I think you are wrong in your assessment. I don't see my SALT deductions as egregious.

-MA tax rate is 5.05%, which is less than a number of mid-western states (thinking WI @ 7%).

-My property taxes are quite reasonable around 7-8K for our school district. I realize that's likely a bit higher than a typical red state, but it's not out in space.

There is a 10-12k taxable income difference from the standard and the percentage off my gross from the top. That isn't really any different from family of 6 in Utah with more exemptions, lower property taxes, and the state income taxes.

You seem to be under the impression that there is 100s of thousands in revenue here and that's simply not the case. The COL expenses out here is not about state income tax or property taxes, but food, childcare, goods/services. I earn more because I live in a high COL state. It all evens out in that regard.

The main difference between here and a red state is that I do not get the childcare deductions, the student loan interest deductions, etc. That was the case last year and continues to be the case this year.

Do you understand what I am saying?

Old 02-08-2019, 11:50 AM

89,090 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
No, I am not really understanding this and I think you are wrong in your assessment.
I'm not. Someone who has a $75,000 SALT deduction (what ours used to be in IL) = taxes on a lower percentage of their income than someone who only has a $5,000 salt deduction.

Quote:
The COL expenses out here is not about state income tax or property taxes, but food, childcare, goods/services. I earn more because I live in a high COL state. It all evens out in that regard.
COL has nothing to do with it. There is no consideration of COL in the US tax code, so that's an irrelevant point.

A $10,000 SALT tax deduction limit is fair. Everyone gets the same maximum tax deduction.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I'm not. Someone who has a $75,000 SALT deduction (what ours used to be in IL) = taxes on a lower percentage of their income than someone who only has a $5,000 salt deduction.

COL has nothing to do with it. There is no consideration of COL in the US tax code, so that's an irrelevant point.
Ha! 75K salt deduction. Not even close for my family. It's relevant because it's lowering taxable income from the people you are comparing my family to. Although, I can understand why you want to ignore it for the point you want to make, which hasn't been successful - in my case at least. If anything, it's just more of the red states sucking on the blue.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
A $10,000 SALT tax deduction limit is fair. Everyone gets the same maximum tax deduction.
If we're talking about what's fair then I should be able to get the same childcare, student loan interest, etc deductions as everyone else. Of course, it's not about fairness.

eta; you also did not address your opinion on 401k contributions.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:59 AM

17,020 posts, read 12,612,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Do not underestimate the Dem party's ability to nominate someone who does not resonate with anyone but party stalwarts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies