Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 11:57 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Trump and the GOP took them away to screw a certain segment of the country.
Nice spin. They took away the deductions to be fair to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 04:07 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
Their daycare is 3k. Mine is 30K. Taking that off the top of my salary starts to even that playing field. I don't get why COL is not a factor. All I'm asking for is their 3K max, not mine. Maybe in the future we will come out way ahead, but who knows what will happen.
It's your choice to live in a high COL locality/state. No one is forcing you to do so. COL has never been considered in either local, state, or federal tax code, so I have no idea why you would expect anything otherwise.

Case in point... if housing is expensive and incomes are high in a specific area, WHY do the local/state taxing bodies add insult to injury by levying high taxes on top of inflated housing prices and incomes? Why not lower the tax rates so that the high housing value doesn't punitively impact residents' real estate tax bills, and the high incomes needed to match the high COL doesn't punitively impact the state income tax bill of those earning inflated incomes?

Old 02-11-2019, 04:23 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
It wasn't a failure, everyone was warned, that they wouldn't get as much back if they didn't with hold at a higher rate....

You either got more in your paycheck each week, and you didn't get as much back if anything in your tax return.

Me, I'd prefer more money in my pay each week, rather than give it to the government to earn interest on and waste it away....

Plus I held more out of my check than I usually do....so? This shows how many people do not pay attention to what is reported.....

I'm certain everyone enjoyed getting more money in their pay check each week....however, what did you think, it was for free?

Old 02-11-2019, 04:29 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Nice spin. They took away the deductions to be fair to everyone.
It had the effect of screwing certain states more than others

Old 02-11-2019, 04:37 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Many are still getting screwed on the healthcare fine that never went away.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Many are still getting screwed on the healthcare fine that never went away.
what healthcare fine?

Not sure I understand....

Old 02-11-2019, 04:55 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You are missing the point. Again.
It's not about ME or YOU for this matter.
It's a question of HOW MANY people were affected by these new tax laws in a negative way.

Because this particular factor might change people's voting preferences.
Getting a lower tax refund but having less in taxes withheld throughout the year is what's going on. Sadly, most people are too ignorant to realize the net effect of that is that their total effective federal income tax rate is lower. All they see is that their tax refund is lower which is completely meaningless in the case of a lower effective federal income tax rate.

Anyone can compute their effective federal income tax rate by dividing their total tax by their AGI. On the 2017 US 1040, that's the amount on line 63 divided by the amount on line 37. On the 2018 US 1040, that's the amount on line 15 divided by the amount on line 7.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:02 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
what healthcare fine?

Not sure I understand....
If you don't have healthcare you still get fined this tax year.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:12 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Well said.

Don't worry cause people still believe trickle down economics work after all these years showing it doesn't.

The majority of the middle class has much more in common with the poor than the extreme rich yet the middle class attacks the poor - true to form cause this is exactly what the extreme rich want.

at the end of the day the middle class will never learn.
They will never learn. It is astounding the percentage of working poor - not even middle class - I've met who hate "the poor" while being too ignorant to realize two things: 1) They are poor! 2) All of us are "poor" from the perspective of those who run the nation, and we're all one long job loss away from poverty.

Reminds me of the right-wing idiot I know who, aside from demanding theocracy and similar drivel, hates "all them poor people on government handouts" while at the same time admitting that he grew up on "government cheese" and the EXACT SAME "HANDOUTS" because - guess what? - he was (and still is) poor?! Hypocritical morons... They honestly think that they and their family are "noble working poor," but those people up the roads - all of them, and especially any who are different in skin color, faith, etc - are "bums." Ignorance knows no boundaries with them, sadly.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:15 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Getting a lower tax refund but having less in taxes withheld throughout the year is what's going on. Sadly, most people are too ignorant to realize the net effect of that is that their total effective federal income tax rate is lower. All they see is that their tax refund is lower which is completely meaningless in the case of a lower effective federal income tax rate.

Anyone can compute their effective federal income tax rate by dividing their total tax by their AGI. On the 2017 US 1040, that's the amount on line 63 divided by the amount on line 37. On the 2018 US 1040, that's the amount on line 15 divided by the amount on line 7.
Agreed. As I said when it was passed into law, Trump's "tax break" is basically a glorified pay-day loan scam. "Get YOUR money now!" long-term consequences be danged. The only people who benefit substantially are the rich and corporations who get large, permanent tax breaks; the ones meant to buy votes from the gullible will expire soon enough. Sadly. Trumpers don't care; they won't accept the facts that they were hoodwinked by a professional con-artist, and they will no doubt blame "Obama" or somehow the Democratic House for what happened... hopeless... utterly hopeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies