Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 03:43 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Thanks for sharing. I'm repeating the link here:
https://taxfoundation.org/how-high-a...es-your-state/

I'm wondering if there are any laws that are impacting Wisconsin because my relatives there are paying property taxes closer to 3% of value but they haven't been long time property holders. So perhaps there is a big disparity for long time homeowners and newer ones due to increase capping laws. I saw a house for sale in Madison, WI that had 4% property taxes.
The numbers above are the average for the State. Different areas withing the State will have different millage rates. Other factors impacting the total tax amount are homestead, portability, and the purchase price, but they are more about the taxable value than the rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 03:55 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,237,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't care whether or not your link disagrees with your examples and/or your spin. I only care if it agreed with what I said earlier, which it does.

You can buy a $10 million home in Florida, and guess what? Your property tax bill is going to be a whopper, as it would be pretty much anywhere because the house is so expensive.

A $700K townhouse in Las Olas area in Ft Lauderdale will cost you $11K in property taxes. High millage rate. Ouch!
You are a bit sensitive.

Same home in Cook County would cost you almost 20K in property taxes. Double ouch!!!

And this is what you get. The selection was slim in Cook County - could only find six homes in the relative range.

Cook County
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...633_rect/9_zm/

Las Olas
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...46_rect/14_zm/

THAT really smarts.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:56 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Well....... People can obfuscate with statistics all day long.

Are people mad at Trump and the GOP over the tax plan? Nope.

The GOP just took one of Minnesota's senate seats. A formerly Blue state. It speaks for itself.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:56 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
I pay 1200 yr living on a lake.....use to be 800 27 yrs ago..
our town fathers are conservative and keep the spending in check....the next town over my taxes would be 4x higher …..full of progressive tax and spend democrats..

I benefitted from the trump tax cut and am pleased with any tax cut...

Old 02-06-2019, 04:06 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Well....... People can obfuscate with statistics all day long.

Are people mad at Trump and the GOP over the tax plan? Nope.

The GOP just took one of Minnesota's senate seats. A formerly Blue state. It speaks for itself.
Which one is GOP Amy Klobuchar, or Tina Smith?

Old 02-06-2019, 04:31 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
The new tax plan Trump created increased the standard deduction and reduced the tax rate. My workplace adjusted my withholdings down and I saw an increase in net pay. Because of the increase in the standard deduction, I don't need to deal with any of the itemizing(not paying tons of deductible interest-standard deduction is larger) and I will just take the standard deduction this year. While my return is less, less was withheld and overall I received an increase in net pay.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:46 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I feel 100% certain that if you got a tax cut, you would lie and say you didn't. 100%.
I feel 100% certain that if you had to pay more in taxes ~ you would lie and say you didn't. 100%

Old 02-06-2019, 04:55 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
It was all great fun when his targets were the people they hated. Now they find themselves targeted and suddenly it's not fun any more. This tax legislation is hitting his middle class supporters hard. They were warned, but they're obviously slow learners.
Maybe we can offer something tangible to these Trump supporters like thoughts & prayers !

:

Old 02-06-2019, 05:06 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
This story is a crock. People are benefitting from the Trump tax cuts unless they are getting soaked by their blue-state government.
Wrong

Great example here https://www.marketplace.org/2019/02/...rhaul-makes-it

Old 02-06-2019, 05:19 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Obama "inherited" about a $10 trillion debt-he left Trump a $20 trillion one. He can not blame Bush for everything that happened during his administration-any more than he can claim credit for what happened 2 years after he left office.

Fortunately under Trump-we have record high tax revenues-we don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem. And that has been true under both parties.
Well sure he can...blame Bush! Surely you are aware

1. The Great Recession had hit just a few months back - and is/was a decade plus event (yes, we are still feeling it)..

2. The Bush Tax Cuts - from debt and deficit - were LAW and then the time came to try and do away with them, Republicans refused....100%. Obama was only able to claw back a little.

3. The same wars we are still spending TRILLIONS on.....are costing us.

Those three things are responsible for most all of the increases in debt, but we could add the health care crisis/emergency (yes, 11K per person per year IS an emergency) that the Republicans not only refused to address, but that they've been fighting since.

No "both sides" are not at fault. Only one party is primarily responsible for continuous and massive tax cuts from debt and deficit, unlimited money for wars and failure to address our problems. Need I quote Mitch? We all know what he said "nothing gets done...no matter what".

That is no way to run a country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies