Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 05:41 PM

1,640 posts, read 795,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
That is exactly what the new spiritual head of the party, AOC is pushing for. When she attacks capitalism, what do you think her alternative is?
She's another example of the mentality of this nation. We want the least experienced, least knowledgeable, biggest scammers we can muster. I don't think she's a scammer, to be clear, but inexperienced. Trump and company are the scammers. And we're really at the point of no return. But, for the point of this conversation it's absurd that adults cannot be honest with themselves and each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 05:41 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Then neither should religiosity, right? The 10 most 'religious' states are all red. So, let's be fair to people who aren't religious and not allow any more charitable contributions to churches? Sounds fair to me

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...tes-in-america
I'm not religious, so that argument from a religious point of view doesn't bother me one way or another. Charitable donations to religious institutions, just like charitable donations to all organizations is deductible yes, and should remain so as many organizations provide relief and assistance to all sorts of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
The blue states should get back the same in fed dollars they put in as the red states, but that's not what happens. It's more scam.
Actually, it's a mixed bag https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/, and much of that is dependent on where large companies are located, which produce a lot of wealth by providing products and services in a capitalist system, which we want.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Don't these idiots (I don't care which party) understand that THEY CAUSED THIS DECREASED RETURN THEMSELVES???????

They DIDN'T ADJUST THEIR WITHHOLDING

They got their money via larger paychecks all year but squandered the cash.

Don't blame President trump for your own stupidity and lack of fiscal responsibility!
That may be the case for some earners, but I would have noticed a several hundred dollar increase. Even so, that whole thing was a scam as well. It was hoodwinking by the very people that these folk elected.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:43 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Most Americans don’t care about anything unless it affects them directly. We tried telling them the middle class tax cut was temporary while the rich was made permanent but they had to see it themselves to be believed

Old 02-11-2019, 05:46 PM

17,586 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The personal exemption was removed. This means it doesn't make sense for many people to itemize even when they used to itemize. Those that do itemize will no longer have the $4050/per person exemption. This means a couple with 1 child would lose the $12,150 personal exemptions that they previously had. They used to include that $12,150 deduction with their mortgage interest, property tax and state tax when they itemized. Ouch, even for low tax states.

Losing the personal exemption is a major hit for anyone that itemizes, forcing them to choose the standard deduction over itemizing. In other words, many will no longer deduct their mortgage interest or property taxes, regardless what state they live in.
I'm throwing in the BULLCRAP Flag!

Quote:
The personal exemption deduction is now gone ($0), from $4,050 in 2017. The standard deduction for single taxpayers and married taxpayers filing separately rises to $12,000 from $6,350. The standard deduction for married taxpayers filing joint returns rises to $24,000 from $12,700.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Actually, it's a mixed bag https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/, and much of that is dependent on where large companies are located, which produce a lot of wealth by providing products and services in a capitalist system, which we want.
Where large companies are located is not random. I work for one of the largest pharma's in the world and we do create a lot of wealth for this country. We have collaborations with universities in the region, which is critical for innovation, and are intimately involved with clinical trials, cross education, training the next generation of scientists. We provide a lot of value for the dollar for all that unearned income non-workers enjoy. Unearned income that also contributes to inflation and raises our COL. Then we get the screw by those same people.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:47 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Assets imply value. Value created by the work of others.
Incorrect. The investment of assets provides the capital that enables others to work. I'll keep it simple for you, so you'll be able to understand it...

No factory, raw materials, tools, machinery, etc. = no factory jobs.

If the "workers" didn't raise the capital to fund the left side of the equation themselves, there is no factory, raw materials, tools, machinery, etc., and consequently... no factory jobs.

Quote:
Investing the work of others does not make you any better than someone on welfare. Maybe smarter, but most likely a better scammer. Trump is a great scammer, but he's not necessarily smarter than anyone.
It's not a scam. People are only able to work because someone has fronted the capital to fund the provision of the facilities, tools, machines, raw materials, etc., with which workers CAN work.

Quote:
You don't need a job because you have other people working to support you.
No different than any other retiree who draws investment income including but not limited to their pensions/retirement accounts.
Quote:
More bull. Other people worked and you invested their work.
Not at all. People are paid market wage for their labor. In fact, that's a business EXPENSE.

Quote:
Again, someone not agreeing with the scam you are peddling does not mean a lack of understanding. You think you are smarter than everyone else. So does trump. You think you deserve more than everyone else by the virtue of being you. So does Trump. I get it all too clear. I see right through you. I see right through your joy of seeing the hardships others face.
Retirement and drawing on one's pension/retirement account (or investment account, as applicable) is a scam? That will be news to tens of millions of US retirees. Do you have a pension and/or a retirement account? If so, you've just labeled YOURSELF a "scammer."

Quote:
Actually, working mothers stack more volunteer hours per week than anyone in this country.
Good for them. I volunteer, too.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Don't these idiots (I don't care which party) understand that THEY CAUSED THIS DECREASED RETURN THEMSELVES???????

They DIDN'T ADJUST THEIR WITHHOLDING

They got their money via larger paychecks all year but squandered the cash.

Don't blame President trump for your own stupidity and lack of fiscal responsibility!
Withholding is determined by the IRS. Employers withhold money according to the data provided to them. It is very unusual for an employee to question their withholding, so miss me with the all caps and take a deep breath. Maybe the toddler in chief should have written a tweet telling people that they need to check their withholding, dontcha think?

Old 02-11-2019, 05:53 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Where large companies are located is not random. I work for one of the largest pharma's in the world and we do create a lot of wealth for this country. We have collaborations with universities in the region, which is critical for innovation, and are intimately involved with clinical trials, cross education, training the next generation of scientists. We provide a lot of value for the dollar for all that unearned income non-workers enjoy. Unearned income that also contributes to inflation and raises our COL. Then we get the screw by those same people.
So... you and your "one of the largest pharma's in the world" are SCREWING Americans with high drug prices. That's repulsive.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:54 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
I'm throwing in the BULLCRAP Flag!
What are you calling bullcrap? It's a fact that the personal exemption was eliminated and that the personal exemption could be used while itemizing, are you really claiming that's not true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies