Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 02:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Why do you think those companies left NY?

High taxes and burdensome regulations imposed by Liberal politicians, elected mostly by people from New York City.

And singer didn't leave, they were bought out by BAE systems .....I know I used to work there...

And Virginia's weather is nowhere near as bad as New York state's in the winter ......at least the part of Virginia I'm in.
The companies left because of greed. Just like several textile companies abandoned your precious North Carolina and Virginia.

I didn’t say that Virginia’s weather was as severe as New York’s, but Virginia’s weather DOES suck in winter nonetheless. Actually, it sucks in the summer too.

Hell, you can’t even have a radar detector in your car. What a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 03:17 PM

18,468 posts, read 7,105,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The companies left because of greed. Just like several textile companies abandoned your precious North Carolina and Virginia.

I didn’t say that Virginia’s weather was as severe as New York’s, but Virginia’s weather DOES suck in winter nonetheless. Actually, it sucks in the summer too.

I have a little clue for you:

Business exist to make a profit.

It is their entire reason for being.

Not to provide jobs.

Not to provide health insurance.

Not to be engines of social justice..

They exist solely to make money

And the hard fact is that if a state or locality makes it too difficult for businesses to make a profit..... they will leave......

If you want to call that greed, fine ....it doesn't really matter because it doesn't change anything.

They have a saying in the South:

"It is what it is."

Liberals don't like "what it is", so they think they can stick their heads in the sand, keep raising taxes and people and business will just sit back and take it.... they think they can change "what it is" by playing Robin Hood..

They're wrong.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:17 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,499,814 times
Quote:

You're soo right dd! Those Hanes tighty-whitey underpants that I used to buy that were made in North Carolina, are now made in ...wait for it ...Vietnam! Hanes didn't leave because of those horrid gubmint regulations. They left because of greed!!! Now, those workers in that plant are the ones downing oxycontin like Skittles and dying at 46. That was not due to librul Democrats either!

Old 02-07-2019, 03:21 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,246,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
Wow, you libs will not give up on stealing money from people.
Liberals have never seen a tax they didn’t like.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I have a little clue for you:

Business exist to make a profit.

It is their entire reason for being.

Not to provide jobs.

Not to provide health insurance.

Not to be engines of social justice..

They exist solely to make money

And the hard fact is that if a state or locality makes it too difficult for businesses to make a profit..... they will leave......

If you want to call that greed, fine ....it doesn't really matter because it doesn't change anything.

They have a saying in the South:

"It is what it is."

Liberals don't like "what it is", so they think they can stick their heads in the sand, keep raising taxes and people and business will just sit back and take it.... they think they can change "what it is" by playing Robin Hood..

They're wrong.
If businesses exist ONLY to make profits and not to provide jobs, why then do you right wingers insist on using employment as a reason for cutting corporate taxes and keeping the jobs here? Why are you guys always talking about job creation relative to making this country business friendly? Why don’t you just sell tax cuts like this:

“Let’s cut their taxes so they can have more profits whether or not they hire anyone at all because we want the C-Suite class to become a lot wealthier.”

But no, you guys just lie (as usual) and falsely link tax cuts to making us all better off.

If cutting taxes on corporations is intended to nothing more than enrich investors and execs, why the hell do you care about cutting taxes? You’re not an exec, a wealthy investor, or a beneficiary of the tax cut in any way. You’re a peon. So what’s your interest besides being a lapdog for the wealthy?

Old 02-07-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
You're soo right dd! Those Hanes tighty-whitey underpants that I used to buy that were made in North Carolina, are now made in ...wait for it ...Vietnam! Hanes didn't leave because of those horrid gubmint regulations. They left because of greed!!! Now, those workers in that plant are the ones downing oxycontin like Skittles and dying at 46. That was not due to librul Democrats either!
He rips New York for being a bad business environment and lauds Virginia and North Carolina...but he obviously forgot about Tobacco Road losing damn near all of their textile manufacturing just like New York State lost much of their heavy manufacturing.

So he resorts to his old tried and true formula...ripping liberals and claiming that businesses exist ONLY to plunge us all into his Dickensian fantasy. Lol

What a joke.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:38 PM

18,468 posts, read 7,105,093 times
Quote:
If businesses exist ONLY to make profits and not to provide jobs, why then do you right wingers insist on using employment as a reason for cutting corporate taxes and keeping the jobs here? Why are you guys always talking about job creation relative to making this country business friendly? Why don’t you just sell tax cuts like this:

“Let’s cut their taxes so they can have more profits whether or not they hire anyone at all because we want the C-Suite class to become a lot wealthier.”

But no, you guys just lie (as usual) and falsely link tax cuts to making us all better off.

If cutting taxes on corporations is intended to nothing more than enrich investors and execs, why the hell do you care about cutting taxes? You’re not an exec, a wealthy investor, or a beneficiary of the tax cut in any way. You’re a peon. So what’s your interest besides being a lapdog for the wealthy?

Creating jobs is a side effect of business making money..... creating jobs is a necessary part of doing business.

It is not the purpose of it.

That's why more and more jobs are being lost to automation, technology, outsourcing, Illegal labor etc.

The less employees a business needs to sustain it's profits, the less it will hire.

The more you tax and regulate a business, the harder you make it to sustain it's profit margin and the more incentive you give it to leave the state for one with lower taxes and less regulations......or the country.

If businesses don't turn a profit, what do you expect them to hire and pay their employees with?

Good faith?

When I moved to North Carolina from upstate New York some twenty odd years ago, I was there for about two weeks when I happened to see another ex co-worker from New York at a gas station.

Then not long after that, business popped up with names that were familiar to me from upstate New York .......because they moved there too.

If you ask a local around Charlotte about the city's demographics, they'll tell you that most of the people who live there are transplants from other states like New York.

Damn Yankees we are .

That's why Charlotte doesn't feel like a typical Southern city.......

Because there's not that many actual Southerners there now.

And I may be a peon, but I'm a bigger and better off peon than I would be if I had stayed in New York.

Because I had more opportunity in North Carolina to take advantage of the better business climate and reap the benefits of businesses making more profits.

Last edited by FatBob96; 02-07-2019 at 05:00 PM..

Old 02-07-2019, 04:40 PM

20,761 posts, read 8,606,055 times
So why not replace pavement with gravel? Not slippery when it's icy and not muddy when it rains. That's why in the UK most places have gravel. Watch any TV show set in England.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Creating jobs is a side effect of business making money..... creating jobs is a necessary part of doing business.

It is not the purpose of it.

That's why more and more jobs are being lost to automation, technology, outsourcing, Illegal labor etc.

The less employees a business needs to sustain it's profits, the less it will hire.

The more you tax and regulate a business, the harder you make it to sustain it's profit margin and the more incentive you give it to leave the state for one with lower taxes and less regulations......or the country.

If businesses don't turn a profit, what do you expect them to hire and pay their employees with?

Good faith?

When I moved to North Carolina from upstate New York some twenty odd years ago, I was there for about two weeks when I happened to see another ex co-worker from New York at a gas station.

Then not long after that, business popped up with names that were familiar to me from upstate New York .......because they moved there too.

If you ask a local around Charlotte about the city's demographics, they'll tell you that most of the people who live there are transplants from other states like New York.

Damn Yankees we are .

That's why Charlotte doesn't feel like a typical Southern city.......

Because there's not that many actual Southerners there now.

And I may be a peon, but I'm a bigger and better off peon than I would be if I had stayed in New York.

Because I had more opportunity in North Carolina to take advantage of the better business climate and reap the benefits of businesses making more profits.
A lot of people are doing just fine in New York. You just couldn’t for some reason.

So maybe the problem is you, and not the state of New York.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:14 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,682,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Many counties in GA have stormwater runoff fees, NC counties do as well.
Those are only billed to those who use the municipal water & sewer systems, and they are not universal. It's a local matter. There isn't a tax imposed on all property owners based on what they have built on their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies