Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 04:16 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,298,736 times

Advertisements

Remember those stories a couple of years ago about how the generation after the Millennials would be the most conservative one in memory?

At this point, it looks like wishful thinking. A study released this week by Pew Research found the Gen Z opinions closely resemble those of millennials. Here’s some examples:

Trump Job Approval By Generation: Silents 54%; Boomers 43%; Gen X 38%; Millennials 29%; Gen Z 30%

Government Should Do More To Solve Problems: Silents 39%; Boomers 49%; Gen X 53%;
Millennials 64%; Gen Z 70%

Increasing Diversity is Good For Society: Silents 42%; Boomers 48%; Gen X 52%; Millennials 61%; Gen Z 62%

Quote:
Among Republicans and those who lean to the Republican Party, the generational divides are even starker. Roughly half (52%) of Gen Z Republicans say they think the government should be doing more to solve problems, compared with 38% of Millennial Republicans and 29% of Gen Xers. About a quarter of Republican Baby Boomers (23%) and fewer GOP Silents (12%) believe the government should be doing more.
Generation Z Looks a Lot Like Millennials on Key Social and Political Issues | Pew Research Center

Much of Gen Z are just kids, and their opinions may change, but there’s nothing noted thus far to indicate a sea change from the Millennials. As a group, they loath Trump, favor more government involvement and aren’t terrified by diversity, not positions you would expect from a more conservative generation.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 01-23-2019 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 05:25 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,789,933 times
This will impact elections in the next 20 or so years.

Best that the Conservatives stop calling the youth special snowflakes and start listening to them!

Old 01-23-2019, 05:31 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Remember those stories a couple of years ago about how the generation after the Millennials would be the most conservative one in memory?

At this point, it looks like wishful thinking. A study released this week by Pew Research found the Gen Z opinions closely resemble those of millennials. Here’s some examples:

Did you miss the part where this very small survey included 13 year olds?

Old 01-23-2019, 05:34 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post

Trump Job Approval By Generation: Silents 54%; Boomers 43%; Gen X 38%; Millennials 29%; Gen Z 30%

Government Should Do More To Solve Problems: Silents 39%; Boomers 49%; Gen X 53%;
Millennials 64%; Gen Z 70%

Increasing Diversity is Good For Society: Silents 42%; Boomers 48%; Gen X 52%; Millennials 61%; Gen Z 62%

Generation Z Looks a Lot Like Millennials on Key Social and Political Issues | Pew Research Center

Much of Gen Z are just kids, and their opinions may change, but there’s nothing noted thus far to indicate a sea change from the Millennials. As a group, they loath Trump, favor more government involvement and aren’t terrified by diversity, not positions you would expect from a more conservative generation.
I love them and can’t wait until they take over.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:35 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Oh, does this mean we are supposed to hate them yet? When does that start?

Old 01-23-2019, 05:38 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,784,113 times
Both my kids are gen z and both are pretty hard left. The times they are a changing.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:41 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,899,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
This will impact elections in the next 20 or so years.

Best that the Conservatives stop calling the youth special snowflakes and start listening to them!
Gen Z here, and I agree. Diversity is the name of the game as well. All of us are early 20s and teens we have many more years to go than the angry boomers on here. Lol it's just a waiting game. Honestly I think we were more conservative I was myself, but I think Trump will have an ever lasting impact on making us much more liberal. There's an all out assault on young people especially by conservatives in this country, and trust me all it does and take us more and more to the left.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:43 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,899,677 times
You see how many women Trump drove into office. I'm sorry the longer he stays in the more blue this country Will become.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:44 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Both my kids are gen z and both are pretty hard left. The times they are a changing.
Both my kids are Millennials and are more hardcore left than I am, and that's saying something. Conservationism is dying with the dying silent generation. It can't happen soon enough.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:48 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,730,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Gen Z here, and I agree. Diversity is the name of the game as well. All of us are early 20s and teens we have many more years to go than the angry boomers on here. Lol it's just a waiting game. Honestly I think we were more conservative I was myself, but I think Trump will have an ever lasting impact on making us much more liberal. There's an all out assault on young people especially by conservatives in this country, and trust me all it does and take us more and more to the left.
Yep...the GOP is now looking down the barrel of a demographic disaster. The key to understanding Millennials and Gen Y is that there is a much higher percentage of these age blocks that are non-white, I believe over 40% compared to Boomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies