Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 09:53 AM

73,097 posts, read 62,726,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agree the belief in the 'Lost Cause' mythologies is still present, still distorting history, & still attempting to justify the concept that owning people as property is a legitimate one. The arguments based on the various sophistries are only too transparent. The CSA fought to preserve & sought to expand their 'way of life'. A 'way of life' based on the absolute right for some people to own other people as property. Even if they had succeeded, they would have had to erect a wall around their Confederate Country because the people in the Free States did not agree with returning escaped enslaved people. That would not have changed if they had won. It was also a very big & contentious issue back then. The CSA sought to force their warped views on owning people as property on all the people of the USA. The 36th Congress attempted to appease the Slave States to avert a military conflict. As had been previously attempted at the Constitutional Convention. It was a 'no go' then & no matter how many Amendments were proposed by the 36th Congress, the Slave States would have none of it.

There was a guy in TX who was still trying to get Texas to ratify the Corwin Amendment in March of 1963.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150626...s-35-years-ago
I'm not surprised that someone in 1963 wanted slavery back. There are individuals today who wish slavery still existed. Some people don't change.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:58 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,283,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Yes, the south wanted to leave over something that was still legal. Like I said before, the Articles of Secession and the Confederate Constitution are much more telling about what the Confederacy wanted that Lincoln was.

Yes, I know the South wanted to be independent. The question is WHY???? WHY did the South wanted independence so badly? The answers are in the Articles of Secession, and slavery was one of the biggest answers. You have not proven otherwise. And slavery was not explicitly protected in the Constitution. It just wasn't mentioned much. The Confederate Constitution, however, explicitly protected slavery.
it was more than that but you are obsessed with 1 of their reasons which by the way was legal and protected by the constitution and the Supreme Court.

Their sin wasn't that they practiced slavery in the eyes of the federal government....their sin was that they declared their independence and left the union....that was the war all about.

again, if the South stayed in the Union, slavery would have still been protected by the constitution and the courts. The South just didn't want to be tax over it.

by the way, Lincoln and the North would have made slavery explicitly protected in the Constitution with the Corwin Amendment....something you keep ignoring over and over.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:01 AM

ENOUGH!!!

This thread has literally become a dumpster fire. This was suppose to be about the this disconnect between how Whites view the Confederate flag vs how Blacks view the Confederate flag. It has morphed into a fight.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
it was more than that but you are obsessed with 1 of their reason which by the way was legal and protected by the constitution and the Supreme Court.

Their sin wasn't that they practiced slavery in the eyes of the federal government....their sin was that they declared their independence and left the union....that was the war all about.

again, if the South stayed in the Union, slavery would have still been protected by the constitution and the courts. The South just didn't want to be tax over it.

by the way, Lincoln and the North would have made slavery explicitly protected in the Constitution with the Corwin Amendment....something you keep ignoring over and over.
I'm obsessed because it was one of the biggest issues. It is likely what explains why alot of Blacks don't like the Confederate flag, regardless of how you feel about it. I haven't ignored anything Lincoln planned to do. I'm telling you the former Confederate states weren't satisfied. It wasn't enough for them.

At this point, the only thing I see from you as that you side with the Confederate cause. At this point, it's a waste of time discussing it with you.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:06 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,671,509 times
Quote:
ENOUGH!!!

This thread has literally become a dumpster fire. This was suppose to be about the this disconnect between how Whites view the Confederate flag vs how Blacks view the Confederate flag. It has morphed into a fight.

Agreed, but i am not sure there needs to be a connection between blacks and whites when it comes to the Confederate Battle flag. Some whites see it one way, blacks see it another. We don't have to agree... why should we?

Old 02-12-2019, 10:12 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,283,871 times
Quote:
ENOUGH!!!

bhaaaaaa! enough????? this is not a fight, nobody is attacking anybody with knives, bottles and fists. We are just having a conversation. You just can't handle the truth, bro!!!.

in the eyes of the federal government, the sin of the south wasn't slavery. The federal government was ok with it since it was legal and protected by the constitution and the Supreme Court. The sin was that they declared their independence and left the Union and the Federal government was to lose lots of $$$$$ and control of resources.. That's what the war was all about.

The Confederate flag is just a battle flag in one of the most violent and bloodiest war in U.S. history that 1 side viewed as a war of aggression and invasion from a tyrant......it is what it is.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

Agreed, but i am not sure there needs to be a connection between blacks and whites when it comes to the Confederate Battle flag. Some whites see it one way, blacks see it another. We don't have to agree... why should we?
Here is the thing. The Confederate flag has been a very divisive symbol for a very long time. Some say "it's southern heritage". Others say "it represents slavery and racism". There is a big disconnect and race plays a big factor. The big question is WHY? And I also mentioned a few other things. Blacks are the most Southern of any ethnic group in the USA. And yet, Blacks are the least likely to identify with it as "southern heritage". Is it really about southern heritage with this large of a disconnect? What is it really about? Now, I base what I feel about the Confederate flag on historical facts such as the Articles of Secession. However, what I'm seeing right now is not a debate, but alot of fighting.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:22 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,938,334 times
Quote:
I'm obsessed because it was one of the biggest issues. It is likely what explains why alot of Blacks don't like the Confederate flag, regardless of how you feel about it. I haven't ignored anything Lincoln planned to do. I'm telling you the former Confederate states weren't satisfied. It wasn't enough for them.

At this point, the only thing I see from you as that you side with the Confederate cause. At this point, it's a waste of time discussing it with you.
I don't think you're obsessed, I think you are trying to make sense of the whole thing.

On the other hand, some folks seem obsessed with the ideas that tormented John Wilkes Booth, likely driving him to assassinate President Lincoln;

Quote:
“Sic semper tyrannis” (“Thus always to tyrants”).
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ion-180954331/

Old 02-12-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I don't think you're obsessed, I think you are trying to make sense of the whole thing.

On the other hand, some folks seem obsessed with the ideas that tormented John Wilkes Booth, likely driving him to assassinate President Lincoln;

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ion-180954331/
I figured if I'm going to get called obsessed, I might as well wear the title proudly. How else does one respond to gaslighting?

Old 02-12-2019, 10:26 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,938,334 times
Quote:
Here is the thing. The Confederate flag has been a very divisive symbol for a very long time. Some say "it's southern heritage". Others say "it represents slavery and racism". There is a big disconnect and race plays a big factor. The big question is WHY? And I also mentioned a few other things. Blacks are the most Southern of any ethnic group in the USA. And yet, Blacks are the least likely to identify with it as "southern heritage". Is it really about southern heritage with this large of a disconnect? What is it really about? Now, I base what I feel about the Confederate flag on historical facts such as the Articles of Secession. However, what I'm seeing right now is not a debate, but alot of fighting.
The only way I can make sense of it is that you, as a descendant of enslaved people, are just supposed to accept that you are not part of their 'Southern heritage'. Either that or your heritage is less than theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies