Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 01:08 PM

73,136 posts, read 62,780,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So you're pining for the good old days of redlining, segregated neighborhoods, real estate covenants?

Sorry but it's 2019, not 1959. That ship has sailed.

While I wouldn't necessarily want to move to your neighborhood, nor would I want to date your daughter, there's something called civil rights laws - which ensure that if I need to move there, I have the opportunity to live there. Tough noogies if you don't like it.

And thank you kindly for showing your true colors.
I don't blame you for calling him out. On one hand, some people need to be called out. In many aspects, we don't need "the good old days" back. We don't need redlining, segregated neighborhoods or restrictive covenants. On the other hand, considering this thread and the direction it has gone to, it's seems worthless to even bother with said persons. Some individuals will never listen.

As to how this relates to THIS thread, I will say this. From my own perspective, the Confederate flag is like a throwback to the bad old days. It was used as a symbol of resistance against the Civil Rights movement. It goes to this question. Why was the Confederate flag picked as the symbol of resistance against the Civil Rights movement? What is it about the Confederate flag that it was used in such a way?

Old 02-14-2019, 01:23 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,570,995 times
Quote:
So go fly it if you want. That's freedom of expression. But don't be surprised if there's a whole lot of people who will express their opinions that you find objectionable. That's also freedom of expression.
No I would not fly it but I also would not whine like a baby if someone did and I opposed it. That is pathetic. Being a victim is getting old and you will be called out for it by some. At what point do you or the OP take responsibility for your failures and stop blaming something that happened before you were born?

Old 02-14-2019, 01:32 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,238,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner;54390714
[url
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_display_of_the_Confederate_battle_flag[/url]

The Black/White contrast of how the Confederate flag is viewed is disparate. The question is about WHY this is the case.
Somebody made this up. When I was growing up, it never crossed my mind that the confederate flag was a racist hate symbol, no one around me did either. That isn't how it was used historically.

Recently, people were told that it was racist (my theory is that it was a white liberal), so black people changed their opinions accordingly and started acting offended.. Just like people were suddenly inspired to knock over confederate statues that have always been there but no one noticed or cared about before.

Not long ago, black southern rappers were parading around brandishing confederate flags and no one thought anything of it - it was completely uncontroversial back then. Today they are pretending that this never happened.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,365,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I disagree.

Perhaps you wish the whole slavery thing would go away as if it never happened.

It isn’t going away.
It’s been gone since 1865, at the price of a half-million lives. But that doesn’t stop some people from continuing to wallow in it and sow hatred.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:47 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,383,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
THANK YOU SILVERKRIS!!! You and some other individuals on this thread actually get it. A person has the right to fly the Confederate. It is freedom of expression. A person has a choice to fly it from their home or their car. However, with freedom comes responsibility. Said persons should at least take some consideration to understand why some people do not like the Confederate flag. Instead of saying "Blacks are just brainwashed by liberals" or "political correctness", maybe it might help to try and understand the situation. Of course, some people don't want to.
Well, these wanna-be Johnny Rebs want to be able to fly the flag and be free from others criticizing them for it.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:50 PM

8,316 posts, read 3,947,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It’s been gone since 1865, at the price of a half-million lives. But that doesn’t stop some people from continuing to wallow in it and sow hatred.
No doubt about that, anyone who thought the Civil War ended in 1865 is not paying attention. Through many other avenues, from the emergence of the KKK after the war and into the early twentieth century, and on through the Jim Crow era "some people" continued to sow that hatred. Who were the founders of the KKK and the promoters of Jim Crow and segregation? We all know. White Southerners, for the most part.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:52 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,383,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Somebody made this up. When I was growing up, it never crossed my mind that the confederate flag was a racist hate symbol, no one around me did either. That isn't how it was used historically.

Recently, people were told that it was racist (my theory is that it was a white liberal), so black people changed their opinions accordingly and started acting offended.. Just like people were suddenly inspired to knock over confederate statues that have always been there but no one noticed or cared about before.

Not long ago, black southern rappers were parading around brandishing confederate flags and no one thought anything of it - it was completely uncontroversial back then. Today they are pretending that this never happened.
Well, just maybe back in the old days, if a black person raised any objections to Confederate flags, stickers, monuments....they might be threatened with bodily harm. You think?

Old 02-14-2019, 01:57 PM

3,358 posts, read 1,239,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Just as other groups fly 'pride' flags, I view (and have flown) the Confederate flag in the name of white pride. Not white power, as I believe in freedom, opportunity and equality for all Americans, but white pride.
It's a big "eff you" to the people who hate straight, white, Christian people.
I am a straight, white Christian southerner and the Confederate flag does not represent me.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:01 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,238,908 times
Quote:
Well, just maybe back in the old days, if a black person raised any objections to Confederate flags, stickers, monuments....they might be threatened with bodily harm. You think?
No. Black people all around the south used to wear confederate flag t-shirts, belt buckles, etc...in the 90s, not the "old days". No one said or thought anything about it. Even 15 years ago various southern rappers wore confederate flags. It wasn't controversial at all.

Just like those confederate statues have always been there and no one ever batted an eye before they were told that they were racist.

Someone recently (media race hustlers) invented that it was a hate symbol on par with a nazi symbol and suddenly people started to act offended by it.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:20 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,525,027 times
I live in a rural area in the Southland, there are four Battle flags flying proudly from four different homes in my neighborhood, when I drive by, I can feel the sense of pride and heritage those fine folks must feel. Being a transplant from the North, and living the lifestyle of my neighbors; as free and independent as possible, I’ve come to respect their ways.
With regard to how other races feel, don’t know, don’t give a hoot, my town is 90+% White, that’s why I live here.
The problem society is faced with is space; people live too close, get some space between you and the next guy and the ride will be a lot smoother; less knit pickin and over thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies