Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:14 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Why? Dr. Spock was no better.
Oprah has guests with different opinions on her show. The same type of entertainment is presented by Fox, all radio talk shows, etc.
Why do you fear one woman?
Please don't use condescension to show your caring for women. It smacks of sexism.

Oprah is entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 08:08 PM

208 posts, read 412,203 times
The choice isn't either between Oprah or Dr. Spock now is it? Are you saying outside Oprah only Dr. Spock is the only authority on raising kids? And what makes you think I support Dr. Spock?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:57 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palpatein View Post
Has it ever occurred to you that millions of women hang on every word pouring forth from the lips of Oprah in regards to how they should raise their kids, date, and work on their marriage? And yet, Oprah has no kids, she isn't married and she isn't dating any man.

Shouldn't you be getting advise from an expert who's proven they know what they're talking about?
Any philosopher will tell you that the truth is the truth no matter who speaks it. Just go ask a priest about birth control and he'll tell you the same thing.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:07 PM

236 posts, read 615,267 times
This thread is silly.Should Oprah's ''disciples'' be labled a threat to national security?millions of old white women waving thier purses and canes?

Old 04-11-2008, 09:21 PM

236 posts, read 615,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
All of her charitable programs and other philanthropies are heralded from the rooftops - she does nothing that is just annonymous and private.

what have YOU done to help the poor,less well off or down trodden?

Old 04-11-2008, 11:22 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
For many years I thought of Oprah as a rather benign talk show host who seemed more upbeat than some of her fellow hosts. But I am seeing and feeling a shift in her cult of self and I find it rather frightening. She is without a doubt the most powerful and influential woman in the media and increasingly she doesn't just have fans but rather disciples. Millions of these followers hang on her every word and slavishly believe that every one of these words uttered by this woman are pearls of wisdom. If she recommends a book, it becomes a huge best- seller; if she touts a particular bra, it will be sold out all over the country; if she endorses brand of chocolate, women everywhere will be driven to find it. But recently, she has stepped out of the realm of just marketing products and into the much more frightening activity of marketing people and ideas. Her endorsement of Barack Obama drew a huge influx of people and monies to his campaign and now she is holding up the author of a new book, "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle as the new Messiah. She is very much a "New Age" proponent and urges her followers to seek their spirituality within themselves rather than in God-centered mainstream religions. Many of her gospel-like pronouncements seem to echo those of the often criticized Scientologists.

It seems very apparent to me that Oprah has become the voice of those who have no voice or core beliefs of their own. She has set herself up as the spokesperson of the unhappy and dissatisfied hoardes of her audience members (at home and in her studio) . She preaches acceptance of oneself but at the same time she has stylists on her show telling you how you can look ten years younger or have a really cool haircut. She has an ego that knows no bounds as evidenced by every issue of "O" having only a photo of herself. All of her charitable programs and other philanthropies are heralded from the rooftops - she does nothing that is just annonymous and private. But the bottom line is that her new advocacy of this Eckhart Tolle book and its author is feeling more and more like a cult which diguises itself as simply a means for individuals to discover their own true spirituality.
I'm not an Oprah fan or hater. I might tape a show if someone interesting is on. I did record the Eckhart Tolle episode because I read one of his books years ago and found it interesting. She and some of the people she was interviewing made a strong point that it was NOT a religion, but a philosophy that can be incorporated into whatever religion a person is a part of. Many of the guests mentioned being Christian and using ideas of the book to be present in their faith. I wonder if this concerned post would exist if people started exploring christianity because the Oprah show mentioned it.

This post reads to me fear that she is trying to eradicate religion and replace it with "new age, devil practices" that isn't even the case, but so what if it were? She happens to be a charismatic person who people listen to, there are many people like that and they have a right to speak and people have a right to listen. Some might feel that people should only listen to ideas they and their preacher agree with, but we live in a free country, thank God!

Last edited by detshen; 04-11-2008 at 11:38 PM..

Old 04-12-2008, 12:37 AM

How would Redrover know each and every charity that Oprah gives to?
Maybe she's psychic.

What Oprah does is none of your business.
Geez, you're a bunch of busy bodies.
I can't help but think that jealousy is at play here.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:04 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Oprah has said, "If there's a thread running through each show we do, it is the message that `you are not alone.'" No wonder either Oprah or her guest is almost always weeping. The fluidity of tears--the oceanic melting of the ego in high feeling--represents the essence of Winfrey-democracy. We are not alone because we can blur into another person or become another person at any moment. We can make over our appearance, achieve our "wildest dreams," or be heartened by the evidence of charity or by the revelation that the rich and famous are creatures of feeling, too, which makes their lives possibly habitable phases in the spectrum of exchangeability....She has turned living vicariously into living authentically.

The New Republic
Thank You For Sharing: The Strange Genius of Oprah, by Lee Siegel
Monday, June 5, 2006

Old 04-12-2008, 05:02 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanw View Post
Why do you think Oprah gives so much, builds schools, etc. I think it is her own ego that makes her do it (and tax breaks) I give but don't have to go on TV to do it and do not bring attention to myself. She is so full of herself it is amazing. I can see how people get caught up in her and look up to her. I have nothing against a Black woman making a name for herself, making more money than I and being famous. I think that is great but to bring so much attention to yourself and trying to make others think as you do is something else. She knew that with all her power over the female gender she would get Obama votes if she just mentioned his name and said she supported him. (Many celebraties do the same) I am amazed that people actually hang on every word she says and yes there are some who let her make their decisions for them. They will vote for Obama because she said to. It's that plain and simple. She is too powerful in some respects.
I agree with you, why is she telling about almost every dime she gives. There are people richer than her who give without asking for all the attention. If she wouldn't give it would be looking bad.
By the way I haven't heard so much from ehr since the rev. from Nobama's rant!!!

Old 04-12-2008, 05:43 AM

bentlebee, so you know for a fact that the only support she provides is discussed on her show?

Even if she discusses organizations she supports, what's the big deal?
I don't get this fascination with someone else's life.
Her money is hers to give for whatever reason ...

Looks like envy on yours and Alan's part.
Why else would this even be addressed?

You pay way too much too much time focusing on someone else's life and not your own.
How does anything she does affect you in any way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies