Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 05:19 PM

17,614 posts, read 6,894,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I would prefer that you answer my question about the disparity in what taxpayers are handing out in Texas vs California but since you chose not to I will answer your question.

I am 100% against EITC it allows employers to find people who will work at wages that would not otherwise attract applicants, it's just another form of welfare for corporations.
I would like to make everything equitable by eliminating all deductions and going to a flat tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 05:25 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,394,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
No, my taxes went up because now I have to count income that previously was excluded. Bottom line is I have to write a BIGGER CHECK on the same gross income than I did a year ago.

Doesn't matter if rates went down if taxable income was increased
I'm not sure if you really don't understand this, or if you're just insisting on bashing the tax change. The rates absolutely matter. For the vast majority of people, any increase in taxable income is more than offset by the fact that their overall tax rate went down a few percentage points.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:40 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
I would prefer that you answer my question about the disparity in what taxpayers are handing out in Texas vs California but since you chose not to I will answer your question.

I am 100% against EITC it allows employers to find people who will work at wages that would not otherwise attract applicants, it's just another form of welfare for corporations.

You asked how he felt about the disparity in EITC and his response was to eliminate EITC. How is that not a crystal clear answer to your question? Put me down for ending EITC as well. It's one way that some, including illegals, get more back than they paid in. There should be a line on the return for Net Tax Paid. In no case should it be less than zero. The IRS should not be a welfare agency.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
No they don't. All three only report sales over 20k or 200 transactions. It's for that very reason that I stop selling when I approach 200 transactions in a given year
"To comply with IRS regulations, we've have issued a Form 1099-K for tax year 2018. This form summarizes the gross payments you received through PayPal for the sales of goods and services during 2018. Here's how to view and print your Form 1099K"

Direct Email From Paypal......I only had 3K in total transactions (income) and well less than 50 transactions.

In my case, it's due to being MA. resident.....

"*Except in Vermont and Massachusetts where the threshold is lower irrespective of the number of transactions."

"Third party settlement organizations (“TPSOsâ€) must report the gross amount paid in settlement to a payee with a Massachusetts address using Form 1099-K when the gross amount paid in settlement in a calendar year is $600 or greater "

Of course, I know the rest of you are honest, moral and forthright Americans and declare all that income with or without a form.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:30 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
"To comply with IRS regulations, we've have issued a Form 1099-K for tax year 2018. This form summarizes the gross payments you received through PayPal for the sales of goods and services during 2018. Here's how to view and print your Form 1099K"

Direct Email From Paypal......I only had 3K in total transactions (income) and well less than 50 transactions.

In my case, it's due to being MA. resident.....

"*Except in Vermont and Massachusetts where the threshold is lower irrespective of the number of transactions."

"Third party settlement organizations (“TPSOsâ€) must report the gross amount paid in settlement to a payee with a Massachusetts address using Form 1099-K when the gross amount paid in settlement in a calendar year is $600 or greater "

Of course, I know the rest of you are honest, moral and forthright Americans and declare all that income with or without a form.
My bad, I didn't know Massachusetts had a different law. No, I'm not going to claim it unless it gets reported to IRS, I consider it tax avoidance something that Amazon and Exxon have down to a science

Old 04-16-2019, 06:35 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I actually made slightly less in 2018 than I did in 2017, and I paid more in taxes this year. Thankfully, I increased my contribution to my quarterly taxes substantially through the year because I had a bad feeling about it, and so what I owed in the end was only about $100. It would have been much more had I not upped my estimated taxes.

But yeah, lower income and higher taxes is what I found as well. And I am by no means wealthy.
Well I got more back than I did last year by a good amount. I didn't change my deductions either. My friend from Mass complained about Trump as well. When I asked him if he changed tax brackets from previous years he admitted that he moved up 1.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:40 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Don't you support higher taxes on the rich? You are part of the rich, live in Ma$$achusetts, have at it.
I don't support higher taxes on ANYONE....EXCEPT the 40% or so not paying ANY Federal Income Tax.

I am All-In on raising their taxes. Everyone MUST have skin in the game.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:45 PM

556 posts, read 622,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Let's eliminate the EITC all together. Are you game? I am.
I am against the EITC because it is abused so much. It discourages marriage. Men and women have children and live together and live as married couples. They share living expenses but file separate tax returns. The man could earn a decent wage and file single. The woman of the house works off the books or claims enough to claim head of household and the EITC along with the Child Tax Credit.she pays no taxes and the government gives her thousands of dollars. That’s the scam. I have even seen married couples do this for years even though the chances of getting caught are much higher.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:23 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Rather racist of you to imply that all illegal immigrants are brown, but I expect racism from leftists.
I am not a leftist, and nor am I color blind.

People like you see racism everywhere, but then again there is nothing new in race-card waving Trump loyalists.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:25 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yes, I was referring to the standard deduction increase as well as the rate reduction making only those rich few in selected blue states who previously were taking huge deductions the only ones paying more.
Not true. I live in Florida, and ended up with a massive tax hike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies