Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 12:37 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The skill required to teach kids do not merit that kind of pay.

It's an important position that should provide a decent lifestyle, not high end.

Where I live, it is more towards the high end, and I'm a beneficiary of that...but it's part of the reason the area is so expensive as it makes up a good chunk of the property taxes.
You mean there's something we agree on?

When we were living in New York the property taxes for our 1100 sq. ft. home in the semi run down City of Peekskill was $11,500 a year, a little more than half of that was for school taxes. That was back in 2010 the year we left. Peekskill being one of the poorest communities in Westchester County, there are not enough wealthy people living in Peekskill to tax into oblivion to support paying teachers 115-175k a year, not too mention benefits that most in the private sector can only dream of.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 02-14-2019 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 12:39 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
<Sarcasm ON>

My dream is to start a business that will acquire more and more businesses until they own and operate ALL privately-owned wealth-creating properties in the United States. It will then become The American Business Company. What's presently the ABC Television Network will become the company's primary mouthpiece - airing commercials of a parade in small town Middle America, cheering people waving flags, and voiceovers praising heartland values about how good and decent the plain folk customers of the ABC are. That way, we can brainwash people into defending the ABC as the epitome of capitalism.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:45 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Wait, so you're saying the issue isn't cell phones?
I don't get the context of this satire.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
No, women were not willing to work for less. In the late 1960s, I put myself through college by working in a paper mill. Boring repetitive work. Women had certain jobs and men had certain jobs. They each had a different pay scale; women were paid less. I certainly was capable of driving a forklift (and, I did later at an oil refinery) or working on the machines with training but management didn’t see it that way. In 1970, women were finally able to do the same jobs as men for equal pay.

It seems so silly today, to think that women were not expected to work, or in some cases, not allowed, to work certain jobs. And then to not pay them equally???

Old 02-14-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
And me knowing this, I would not have purchased that kind of house in those areas...
Well, yeah, of course not. I'm just pointing out how a modest home in some areas has had the property values jacked up so high, its insane, and the median family income cannot afford it.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:34 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Which makes zero sense, since Maya and every other graphics platform runs on x64 Windows systems, and the TCO of both Windows and Linux is lower than OSx platforms, and also comes without all the proprietary licensing crap Apple is famous for. Been that way for 15+ years.

"Apple has the best graphics" thing is a legend from the 90s that wasn't even true then, given that the early version of Alias/Maya were only on Silicon Graphics RISC workstations. What Apple had was the first sorta kinda version of easy to use graphic packages that gave a nice chunk of pro abilities but at a much better prce point than SG solutions, and because the computer art world was in its infancy, and Apple took low/easy end and SG had high end locked up, nobody saw money in making badass graphics IDEs for PC. Then SG dumped making RISC workstations, went Wintel, dropped Alias/Maya for Windows, and the rest is history.

Believe me, I understand how hard Apple legends die. People still think Apple invented the GUI, the window, the mp3, the smart phone, etc. They get a ton of urban legend type credit for a ton of stuff they didn't do. The "best graphic arts" thing is one of their more enduring, when "easiest for new users to get comfy with and not pay SG tons of money at a time of very little competition" is closer to the truth.

Back on topic - technology for the home and the office is one of the areas where the modern person wildly overspends and almost always for no legitimate reason whatsoever. The yearly upgrade of the smartphone is literally a Gullible Tax. I work in the technology world, and have for the last 25 years, and I see business being almost as dumb as people. It is amazing what companies will buy if a pretty girl with a Power Point presentation tells them they need it. They don't need it, it will be a waste of money, but everyone else is doing it, so we need to be doing it too. And it's almost all a waste.

As I said in my first post in this thread....cultural evolution is the bottom line. We are just different people from the folks of "years back" and we are way more consumerist and spendy, without much regard for common sense or the bottom line.
I'm sure you're probably right as I've never got into that aspect of it, but the bottom line is that the printing, publishing and graphic design industry is primarily on the Mac. It is what it is and I don't think that will be changing anytime soon? Those other programs you've mentioned I've never even heard of in our industry? When we got started in the graphic design business using a computer it was either get a Mac or hardly get any work at all if any.

We would have been happy as pigs in poop if a Windows based system fulfilled our needs. It would have saved us money on buying equipment. It's really nothing more than buying the right tools for any particular job.That is the only reason why we are on the Mac platform. If the printing, publishing and graphic design industry suddenly went to a Windows based platform we'd have no choice but to dump our Mac's and go with the flow. If the printing, publishing and graphic design industry used Windows based machines from the beginning we'd still be using a PC.

It has nothing to do with the computer's graphic interface if that's what you're referring to? Or who was the first with whatever technology.

Fortunately for us one of the companies that we had an account with has hired my wife as a full time employee, benefits and all, working from home. They are a major corporation with locations throughout the world. They overnighted her a complete set up with dual monitors, with all of the latest software along with automatic upgrades, all on the Macintosh platform. If the computer craps out or becomes obsolete they'll just send her out another one.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:47 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Their job is incredibly important, they're teaching the new generations of Americans. I would personally vote to see a teacher's minimum salary be above 200,000 a year if that ever comes onto some initiative.
They're doing a crappy job. Need proof? Read the following...

Quote:
"This exam [OECD's PIAAC], given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society. And U.S. millennials performed horribly...

But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope.

U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind.

Top-scoring US millennials – the 90th percentile on the PIAAC test – were at the bottom internationally, ranking higher only than their peers in Spain.
The bottom scorers (10th percentile) also lagged behind their peers."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.caf173a2db29

Old 02-14-2019, 01:47 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I'm sure you're probably right as I've never got into that aspect of it, but the bottom line is that the printing, publishing and graphic design industry is primarily on the Mac. It is what it is and I don't think that will be changing anytime soon? Those other programs you've mentioned I've never even heard of in our industry? When we got started in the graphic design business using a computer it was either get a Mac or hardly get any work at all if any.

We would have been happy as pigs in poop if a Windows based system fulfilled our needs. It would have saved us money on buying equipment. It's really nothing more than buying the right tools for any particular job.That is the only reason why we are on the Mac platform. If the printing, publishing and graphic design industry suddenly went to a Windows based platform we'd have no choice but to dump our Mac's and go with the flow. If the printing, publishing and graphic design industry used Windows based machines from the beginning we'd still be using a PC.

It has nothing to do with the computer's graphic interface if that's what you're referring to? Or who was the first with whatever technology.

Fortunately for us one of the companies that we had an account with has hired my wife as a full time employee, benefits and all, working from home. They are a major corporation with locations throughout the world. They overnighted her a complete set up with dual monitors, with all of the latest software along with automatic upgrades, all on the Macintosh platform. If the computer craps out or becomes obsolete they'll just send her out another one.
My aunt is a professional graphic artist whose entire career is at the helm of a Mac. I am not bagging on the platform, just laying to rest a few myths, number one being that Macs are superior to PCs, being that they are the same thing and have been for over a decade. They just have a few lines of code that makes it impossible to run any other OS but theirs on that PC hardware.

They are the standard in that particular world, same as corporate databases mostly sitting on Linux boxes. Some stuff, as you say, is how it is.

My complaint on them and any other Gullible Tax item in the modern world is that the individual buys what they believe is required, when it is anything but, and that Gullible Tax is a large part of why the dollar doesn't stretch as far as it once did. In the business world, I call it the same thing. Not accusing you using an industry standard of being Gullible, I am referencing the long term contracts for consultants, apps nobody needs, etc that all come with free rounds of golf at top shelf country clubs for the decision makers. It's money being wasted, but the perception is that the money must be wasted else we perish.

It's that "oh no, must spend or I die" mentality we have evolved to, and however that evolution occurred, the end result IS the problem.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
What makes no sense is a complete stranger deciding that someone else should retire.
100% true.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Top ranked state universities are still out of the price range of most parents. They are really difficult to get into and they accept out-of-state higher paying students. While I totally support state schools they must be more fully funded by their states. I was very lucky to get a sweet deal on a good public education in the 70s. Alas, my grandchildren will be paying an instate rate of $40K year (tuition room and board) for the same dorm room!
Hence, the need for non-pulse dead K-12 teachers, and hitting the books, literally. Encourage youth to read as much as they can. Relying on K-12 public school teachers is a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies