Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:13 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
It has taken far more lives than all people any illegal aliens have killed or hurt.

So if Trump can go around Congress for the wall, get ready for the next D president to go full force on confronting the national epidemic of gun violence.

I didn’t want an expansion of executive power, but you cons seem ok with it to further your pet projects. You’ll have to bear that position in mind when the shoe is on the other foot.

That isn't comparable as "mental illness & Guns" is comparable!

The gun violence in Aurora was a felon with a gun! Sanctuary city or area where felons are free to do whatever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 10:32 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
That isn't comparable as "mental illness & Guns" is comparable!

The gun violence in Aurora was a felon with a gun! Sanctuary city or area where felons are free to do whatever...
One of the founding principles of the US system of justice is the 2nd chance...a felon does not remain a felon for their entire life, eventually they pay off their debt to society. Holding someones crime over their head for life is pretty anti-America!

Old 02-17-2019, 11:18 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
One of the founding principles of the US system of justice is the 2nd chance...a felon does not remain a felon for their entire life, eventually they pay off their debt to society. Holding someones crime over their head for life is pretty anti-America!
One of the conditions of which you are not able to lawfully possess a firearm.

Federal Form 4473 Question C:
Have you ever been convicted in any court for a felony, or any other crime, for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation? (See instructions for question 11.c.)

Exception to 11.c.
The person has been pardoned, the conviction has been expunged or set aside, or the person has had their civil rights (the right to vote, sit on a jury, and hold public office) taken away and later restored AND the person is not prohibited by the law of the jurisdiction where the conviction occurred from receiving or possessing firearms. Persons subject to this exception should answer "no" to 11.c. or 11.i., as applicable.

If you had answered "yes" to 11.c. you could not legally take possession of a firearm and the dealer could not sell it to you.

If you answered "no" to 11.c. and did not meet the exception to 11.c. you could be charged with a federal crime.

Quote:
Lying on a Federal Form (United States Code 18 Section 1001)
Under U.S. Code 18 Section 1001, it is illegal to knowingly and willfully make any materially false, fictitious or fraudulent statement or representation in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative or judicial branch of the United States. A conviction for lying on a federal form is punishable by five to eight years in federal prison.---https://www.wklaw.com/lying-on-paperwork-to-buy-guns/

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 02-17-2019 at 11:33 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 06:36 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
The real national emergency is the ATF being handcuffed, and the law made that prevents them from being able to efficiently digitize and trace the serials and names of the owners and their guns. It sho uld be just like cars.
The national emergency is also the gun shops that sell guns on the street behind the stores to the criminals.
The gun show loophole is also a national emergency. Gun shows from non vetted sellers need to end.
The basic point is......we don't trust the government to have that kind of power and after all, why should we.....when they clearly don't trust the public to insist on that kind of power.

Let's say for a moment that such intentions are honorable, for safety. I don't believe that for a second but let's just say.........

Why does one suspect that someone with a lot of guns, with, say, 15K rounds of ammo, is up to no good, is getting ready to do something despicable?

Way back on the JROTC rifle team, we shot 160-200 rounds a week in practice, per shooter. Over a semester, say 12 weeks, that's up to 2400 rounds. If it was okay for high school, why does one think it is not okay for an adult professional shooter where at the hey day, I was shooting a 1000 rounds of pistol and 400 rounds of rifle a month.

Why so much? Practice makes perfect.......and I am not expected to miss. In fact, they REALLY look down on me when I do in practice.

Unfortunately, politics makes it necessary to stock pile ammo for one never knows what crisis, what passage of the law or changing of the regulations will short arm (is that the word) the supply or drive the prices up.

The ambition to be the best is not an inexpensive one.

So why would one think that of their people........if their intentions were honorable.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:45 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes they deserve second chances but they don’t get to own guns!!!! So are saying because he deserved a second chance he should be able to own a gun? I’m puzzled by your statement.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
The basic point is......we don't trust the government to have that kind of power and after all, why should we.....when they clearly don't trust the public to insist on that kind of power.

Let's say for a moment that such intentions are honorable, for safety. I don't believe that for a second but let's just say.........

Why does one suspect that someone with a lot of guns, with, say, 15K rounds of ammo, is up to no good, is getting ready to do something despicable?

Way back on the JROTC rifle team, we shot 160-200 rounds a week in practice, per shooter. Over a semester, say 12 weeks, that's up to 2400 rounds. If it was okay for high school, why does one think it is not okay for an adult professional shooter where at the hey day, I was shooting a 1000 rounds of pistol and 400 rounds of rifle a month.

Why so much? Practice makes perfect.......and I am not expected to miss. In fact, they REALLY look down on me when I do in practice.

Unfortunately, politics makes it necessary to stock pile ammo for one never knows what crisis, what passage of the law or changing of the regulations will short arm (is that the word) the supply or drive the prices up.

The ambition to be the best is not an inexpensive one.

So why would one think that of their people........if their intentions were honorable.
But the problem is that their intentions are not honorable. Their motivation is for political retribution only. What better way is there to punish your political enemies than to criminalize their lawful possessions and activities?

Democrats have absolute power and control in all of the "blue" states. They hate and despise Conservatives along with our values and beliefs. They're out to persecute those who do not subscribe to their way of thinking. Cuomo upon signing New York's "Safe Act" into law even stated as such and I'll paraphrase "that those that do not think like him are not welcome in New York".

They know that they can pass all of the gun laws in the world and it's not going to stop the criminal misuse of firearms. The criminals certainly are not going to give them up because of another oppressive law that's for sure. It's certainly not going to stop the criminally insane. In an act of civil disobedience most people who lawfully own firearms are not going to turn them in or register them either. As the passage of the "Safe Act" has proven.**

We already have thousand's of laws that address both the criminal and negligent misuse of firearms, along with thousand's of laws that address every conceivable criminal act imaginable. We don't need any more laws that only serve to criminalize otherwise law abiding citizens.

Quote:
Conservatives aren't welcome in New York, according to Governor...
http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...lcome-new-york
Jan 24, 2014 ... In the US, we must support freedom of speech, even when we don't like what's said. ... no place in the state of New York, because that's not who New Yorkers are. ... year that managed to pass tighter gun control laws – the SAFE Act – after ... It wasn't right what happened to those protestors, and it would be ...

"Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are? Because if that’s who they are and they’re the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York, because that’s not who New Yorkers are".--Andrew Cuomo Governor of New York
Quote:
**Low assault-weapon registration stats suggest low compliance with...
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2267730
Jun 23, 2015 ... Cuomo's landmark SAFE Act gun control law ... owners are not complying with a law that is supported by New Yorkers," said Leah Gunn Barrett, ...

Nearly One Million New Yorkers Didn't Register Their 'Assault ...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankmin...sault-weapons/
Jun 24, 2015 ... There was no process for registering the guns late, so any gun owner in ... Many then asked New York State how many gun owners had registered ... by the April 2014 deadline set by New York's SAFE Act (the SAFE Act also ...

Old 02-19-2019, 07:23 AM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Yes they deserve second chances but they don’t get to own guns!!!! So are saying because he deserved a second chance he should be able to own a gun? I’m puzzled by your statement.
Felons get their record expunged all the time and are able to own firearms. Honestly, if we can't trust them with a gun then why aren't they still locked up.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
According to federal law a person may have their 2nd Amendment rights restored if:
Quote:
The person has been pardoned, the conviction has been expunged or set aside, or the person has had their civil rights (the right to vote, sit on a jury, and hold public office) taken away and later restored AND the person is not prohibited by the law of the jurisdiction where the conviction occurred from receiving or possessing firearms.
I don't have a problem with that as that's not an easy task. If a person has their civil rights restored that means all of them. But whether you or I are in favor of this or not doesn't matter. That's the law.

Quote:
For Ex-Felons, Limited Rights Mean A Future On Hold : NPR
http://www.npr.org/2012/10/22/163414...future-on-hold
Oct 22, 2012 ... And while she dreams of going to law school, she will be unable to sit ... After applying to have her own civil rights restored in 2008, 2009 and ... She got out of prison four years ago and quickly applied to have her ... I won't be able to go to the Florida bar and take the exam, unless I have my rights restored.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 02-19-2019 at 07:37 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 07:52 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
But the problem is that their intentions are not honorable. Their motivation is for political retribution only. What better way is there to punish your political enemies than to criminalize their lawful possessions and activities?

Democrats have absolute power and control in all of the "blue" states. They hate and despise Conservatives along with our values and beliefs. They're out to persecute those who do not subscribe to their way of thinking. Cuomo upon signing New York's "Safe Act" into law even stated as such and I'll paraphrase "that those that do not think like him are not welcome in New York".

They know that they can pass all of the gun laws in the world and it's not going to stop the criminal misuse of firearms. The criminals certainly are not going to give them up because of another oppressive law that's for sure. It's certainly not going to stop the criminally insane. In an act of civil disobedience most people who lawfully own firearms are not going to turn them in or register them either. As the passage of the "Safe Act" has proven.**

We already have thousand's of laws that address both the criminal and negligent misuse of firearms, along with thousand's of laws that address every conceivable criminal act imaginable. We don't need any more laws that only serve to criminalize otherwise law abiding citizens.

Well, like I said......I don't believe it for a second.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:55 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
According to federal law a person may have their 2nd Amendment rights restored if:

I don't have a problem with that as that's not an easy task. If a person has their civil rights restored that means all of them. But whether you or I are in favor of this or not doesn't matter. That's the law.
I dont understand how they can hold someones crime over their head for the rest of their lives?, this conflicts with one of the founding principles of the US system of justice, the ability to start over with clean slate once the debt to society has been paid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies