Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 06:15 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
In this post, lovecrowds is all but saying that liberal areas are better.

Q: Why are liberal areas so pricey on real estate usually compared to conservative?
A: Thank you for acknowledging that. It's like asking why is Beverly Hills so much more expensive than Podunk, WV? Think about that, if you can.
You do know West Virginia is a Democratic state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 06:16 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Explain how the city was robbed. What specific trouble was it dealt that did not exist in other cities?
In the modern world the city has little reason to exist. It formed due to the access to Iron Ore and Coal shipping over the lakes.

It's not the first or the last city that will experience this type of a scenario. SE PA. if full of cities that have little reason to exist anymore. In fact, PA as a whole (and many other areas)are full of cities and towns that have no reason to exist. No mines...no factory...no town.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:16 PM

426 posts, read 353,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
This is funny. Idiotic liberal lunatics snobs are the ones trying to turn America into a third world country with their open border policies allowing hundreds of thousands of poor uneducated Central Americans into our country to get free services. Lunatic liberals are traitors... who hate whites and who hate Christians. I would take a down home down to earth good-hearted Oklahoman or West Virginian any day over a pathetic New York liberal or a pathetic liberal Californian. even Florida has been destroyed and rendered unaffordable thanks to the New York liberals.
Go for it. I bet country types have exciting games, like "lets count how many teeth we have between our inbred cousins. First to get to a dozen wins!"

Old 02-18-2019, 06:17 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Corollary: Why are nice homes of liberals more expensive than Trumptown trailer parks? Who knows!

426 posts, read 353,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
In the modern world the city has little reason to exist. It formed due to the access to Iron Ore and Coal shipping over the lakes.

It's not the first or the last city that will experience this type of a scenario. SE PA. if full of cities that have little reason to exist anymore. In fact, PA as a whole (and many other areas)are full of cities and towns that have no reason to exist. No mines...no factory...no town.
That's funny. Mainly because it's completely wrong. High paying jobs are concentrating even more in cities and rural areas are depopulating faster than ever. Care to explain why that's happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
You do know West Virginia is a Democratic state.
I guess they are owned......

One actual answer to their question is that, in WV you don't own the land or the gas, oil or coal beneath your feet and, in fact, they (corporations) are allowed to strip mine it.

I can sell you stuff cheap if I am allowed to bulldoze it after.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
That's funny. Mainly because it's completely wrong. High paying jobs are concentrating even more in cities and rural areas are depopulating faster than ever.
Well, that's funny because I didn't say anything contrary to that.

BUT, there is no need (or little) for a Wheeling, WV or a Gary, Indiana.

I have said many a time that 80 to 90% of the US resident have voted with their feet and live in MSA's.

IMHO, the ideal is a little room around you AND all the benefits of culture and civilization. We have that in W. Mass to a pretty decent degree. Probably 100 restaurants in the little town nearby and area.....7 performance halls (hosting the likes of Bob Dylan as well as local acts), Museums, bear, fox, farms and everyone leaves everyone else alone. Hiking, skiing, boating, hang gliding (if you dare) and much more.

Not cheap....but 200 to 300K can buy something relatively close to town. No long distance driving required.

I've lived in podunk. WV and TN to be exact. I am SO glad we didn't stay. WV went far downhill economically...and TN is full of hate (both self-hate and hate of the other).

Old 02-18-2019, 06:24 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Corollary: Why are nice homes of liberals more expensive than Trumptown trailer parks? Who knows!
There are some mighty fine Obama trailer parks in Chicago and Detroit.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:26 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
That's funny. Mainly because it's completely wrong. High paying jobs are concentrating even more in cities and rural areas are depopulating faster than ever. Care to explain why that's happening?

Uhmmm...you are supporting their argument really. Thats sort of funny. Thats happening because knowledge skills are becoming more important then resources in many cases. Welcome to the future. And Detroit was all about the resources in many ways. Other cities with good climate were able to attract knowledge workers, whereas some place like Detroit just couldn't attract them as well.

We're going to see this occur to some nation states too. Watch Saudi Arabia over the next decade. Our oil shale has put a cap on prices which is much lower then they expected, and electric vehicles are rapidly becoming a better option.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:27 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Yes, I am familiar. I should have mentioned that water under 60 degrees doesn't count for the same.

When I used to travel through NH, VT and Maine I was amazed that the working people (I sold to plumbing supply houses) had houses on the lake. Even those are headed up these days, but you can certainly buy real estate much cheaper near Lakes in Upstate NY, Maine, etc. than near Newport, RI (where the water temp hits 70), for example. All supply and demand.

BTW, for those who want to live near the coast and with nice beauty and a semi-rural feel, places like Tiverton, RI have small houses for about 300K one mile or less from one of the most beautiful places on the planet (the Bay there). Not dirt cheap, but affordable and great if you fish or sail. Lots of history also - and lots of organic farms and such popping up. Westport, MA area is beautiful also.

Overall lifestyles is important to most people. To some less so.

If overall lifestyle means anything, then access to the best health care (Boston, in this case), access to close-by multiple international airports, rail lines, culture, food, education, etc.

Most Mich. lakes don't have that.

Again, I have to shake my head that people don't understand the basics of real estate and economics. Heck, house prices go up when Trader Joes or Whole Foods is within 5 miles!

If you don't want decent health care, volunteer opportunities, culture, etc....then buy something cheap somewhere.
Are you actually suggesting that people live on the coasts because they want to swim in the ocean? Because that is a silly thing to say. Very few people engage in physical activity like that with any regularity. Most people are tired from work at the end of the day and watch TV.

People live where they live mainly for economic reasons. Coastal cities attract investors because of inexpensive and motivated immigrant labor and because those cities are the linchpins in a global economy built on maritime trade. The investors start companies, which creates jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies