Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 PM

426 posts, read 352,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Arrogant, snobby, money grubbing liberal elitists with no hearts who regard the Midwest and the southern States as fly over country. Nothing more repulsive than a liberal elitist.
Nothing worse than country bumpkin knuckledraggers. I mean they may as well just live in a third world country if you live in Tumbleweek, OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Why does the question about access to large bodies of water have to be answered time and time again? For whatever reason, real estate within a hour or so of the coast is usually expensive. From what I have heard, much of the development of the modern world centered on WATER and access to it.

I wonder if people are intentionally being obtuse? Go to midwest city you choose (vibrant of not) and zoom out on google maps sat view.

Now. I'm not here to talk math....but when developable land is close by 360 degrees, the amount of such land increases massively with each mile or two you go out.

The new inventions called the Interstate and Autos have made ALL of that land easily available.

Heck, even Pittsburgh - not true midwest - and very vibrant...is cheap. Why? No ocean. Land on all side.

Easy. No one is being forced to live in the good spots...but most of means choose to. When did Mitt Romney build recently? La Jolla California...not Utah. Before that he was in Boston and on a massive lake in NH.

Where does Bill Gates live? Jeff Bezos.

Have members run out of actual political topics....and are now asking for 9th grade economics classes?

Most waterfront properties in Michigan are relatively affordable, and less expensive than a land-locked shoebox-size house in the San Fran Bay area.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:52 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Why didn't the Democrats step up and fix the issues? After all, that party advertises itself as the working man's party. And racism was prevalent in other cities.

Not sure about the industry part. The former residents of the city of Detroit moved to the suburbs and kept their "industry" jobs.
The thing is most of the democrats left to. It's easy to manage a city that's growing and everything chugging along. Imagine a city that was one of the largest in the world built the infrastructure to accommodate 2 million freaking people, and then 1.2 million move out. Newsflash all of the infrastructure is still there except now the city has to do more not with less, but the pure minimum. Detroit should've been backrupt years ago, and to no fault of their own. I'd love to hear how Detroit should've "managed" the trouble it was dealt. What's appalling is that people look at Detroit, and wonder why the city is the way it is. Looking at the last 70 years one can easily see how the city was robbed of everything, and residents that stayed behind were left with the ultimate burden.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:55 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
Arrogant, snobby, money grubbing liberal elitists with no hearts who regard the Midwest and the southern States as fly over country. Nothing more repulsive than a liberal elitist.
The irony in this post cannot be underemphasized.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:56 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Nothing worse than country bumpkin knuckledraggers. I mean they may as well just live in a third world country if you live in Tumbleweek, OK.
This is funny. Idiotic liberal lunatics snobs are the ones trying to turn America into a third world country with their open border policies allowing hundreds of thousands of poor uneducated Central Americans into our country to get free services. Lunatic liberals are traitors... who hate whites and who hate Christians. I would take a down home down to earth good-hearted Oklahoman or West Virginian any day over a pathetic New York liberal or a pathetic liberal Californian. even Florida has been destroyed and rendered unaffordable thanks to the New York liberals.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
The thing is most of the democrats left to. It's easy to manage a city that's growing and everything chugging along. Imagine a city that was one of the largest in the world built the infrastructure to accommodate 2 million freaking people, and then 1.2 million move out. Newsflash all of the infrastructure is still there except now the city has to do more not with less, but the pure minimum. Detroit should've been backrupt years ago, and to no fault of their own. I'd love to hear how Detroit should've "managed" the trouble it was dealt. What's appalling is that people look at Detroit, and wonder why the city is the way it is. Looking at the last 70 years one can easily see how the city was robbed of everything, and residents that stayed behind were left with the ultimate burden.
Explain how the city was robbed. What specific trouble was it dealt that did not exist in other cities?

Old 02-18-2019, 06:01 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,184 times
Quote:
This is funny. Idiotic liberal lunatics snobs are the ones trying to turn America into a third world country with their open border policies allowing hundreds of thousands of poor uneducated Central Americans into our country to get free services. Lunatic liberals are traitors... who hate whites and who hate Christians. I would take a down home down to earth good-hearted Oklahoman or West Virginian any day over a pathetic New York liberal or a pathetic liberal Californian. even Florida has been destroyed and rendered unaffordable thanks to the New York liberals.
What state do you live in?

Old 02-18-2019, 06:09 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Explain how the city was robbed. What specific trouble was it dealt that did not exist in other cities?

Primarily once their population declined their debt burdens crushed them. Because if you live there you now have high tax burdens with really poor service and infrastructure. 1.8 million people in 1950, 713,000 today. And 18 billion in debt. Which caused them to enter bankruptcy.

Once the decline in population started it was pretty hard to change direction. So they declared bankruptcy, unfortunately only about 7 billion of their debt goes away that way, which means really they will continue to decline and fail. Its very predictable. Their population will keep dropping as the costs to pay that debt cause the tax rates to remain high with little actual delivered benefits. Its all going to the banks who wish to avoid loan losses.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Primarily once their population declined their debt burdens crushed them. Because if you live there you now have high tax burdens with really poor service and infrastructure. 1.8 million people in 1950, 713,000 today. And 18 billion in debt. Which caused them to enter bankruptcy.

Once the decline in population started it was pretty hard to change direction. So they declared bankruptcy, unfortunately only about 7 billion of their debt goes away that way, which means really they will continue to decline and fail. Its very predictable. Their population will keep dropping as the costs to pay that debt cause the tax rates to remain high with little actual delivered benefits. Its all going to the banks who wish to avoid loan losses.
Why didn't the city and city politicians do something to reverse the population decline? That did not happen overnight.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:13 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Most waterfront properties in Michigan are relatively affordable, and less expensive than a land-locked shoebox-size house in the San Fran Bay area.
Yes, I am familiar. I should have mentioned that water under 60 degrees doesn't count for the same.

When I used to travel through NH, VT and Maine I was amazed that the working people (I sold to plumbing supply houses) had houses on the lake. Even those are headed up these days, but you can certainly buy real estate much cheaper near Lakes in Upstate NY, Maine, etc. than near Newport, RI (where the water temp hits 70), for example. All supply and demand.

BTW, for those who want to live near the coast and with nice beauty and a semi-rural feel, places like Tiverton, RI have small houses for about 300K one mile or less from one of the most beautiful places on the planet (the Bay there). Not dirt cheap, but affordable and great if you fish or sail. Lots of history also - and lots of organic farms and such popping up. Westport, MA area is beautiful also.

Overall lifestyles is important to most people. To some less so.

If overall lifestyle means anything, then access to the best health care (Boston, in this case), access to close-by multiple international airports, rail lines, culture, food, education, etc.

Most Mich. lakes don't have that.

Again, I have to shake my head that people don't understand the basics of real estate and economics. Heck, house prices go up when Trader Joes or Whole Foods is within 5 miles!

If you don't want decent health care, volunteer opportunities, culture, etc....then buy something cheap somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies