Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,923,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If background checks were done and it was found that someone was an illegal alien, or maybe had questionable or fraudulent documentation, it would seem that ICE would be involved at some point.
Coalman already pointed out to me that the proposed amendment does specify ICE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 10:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Thank you.

But as I said -- seems that the Republicans had some 90 amendments they were trying to tag on to play games with the bill. So the Dems may not have directly opposed this one amendment as much as the games that the Republicans were playing.

Doesn't matter -- it will pass the House but not the Senate.

I don't think the Democrats have any intentions of passing anything in the House that has any hopes of becoming law. They don't want to kill the media attention, that should of been quite clear after the Florida shooting in the club.

There was two competing bills in the Senate and both would have faced stiff Constitutional challenges. The Republican bill endorsed by the NRA would have barred anyone on the do not fly list from purchasing a gun for 3 days, permanently with a court order. If you are a gun control advocate it'a certainly better than no law which is exactly what the result was because of no support from the D's.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:00 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
I'd also wonder if there is other reasons, what is the rate of blacks failing check?

Old 02-19-2019, 11:04 AM

24,543 posts, read 17,297,674 times
Of course the authorities should be notified when someone fails the background check. They should also be notified when someone tries to buy a gun but the dealer refuses which is their right.

We had a mass shooter, I can't remember his name but I think it was the Pulse Nightclub shooter that tried to buy the murder weapons at a gun store and he was refused because the dealer was getting an odd vibe from the guy. I'm surprised he wasn't sued by the NAACP for denying him.... The dealer did notify the cops that were not able to do much and the shooter ended up going to another gun store where he was able to buy the murder weapons. The rest is infamous.

If a red flag goes up when it comes to a gun sale then the authorities should be notified.

What is the Left afraid of? That the illegal alien will be afraid to buy a gun because he might be found out to be illegal?

Ahh being illegal he should not be allowed to buy a gun. What does an illegal alien need with a gun anyway?

Old 02-19-2019, 11:06 AM

39,098 posts, read 51,306,911 times
The issue of notification when illegals attempt to buy is parenthetical at best in the OP's link. Supposedly Dems are against notification in all cases (including illegals). We never learn why though so I suspect the story is being slanted to distort reality as was the thread title.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:12 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,923,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Of course the authorities should be notified when someone fails the background check. They should also be notified when someone tries to buy a gun but the dealer refuses which is their right.

We had a mass shooter, I can't remember his name but I think it was the Pulse Nightclub shooter that tried to buy the murder weapons at a gun store and he was refused because the dealer was getting an odd vibe from the guy. I'm surprised he wasn't sued by the NAACP for denying him.... The dealer did notify the cops that were not able to do much and the shooter ended up going to another gun store where he was able to buy the murder weapons. The rest is infamous.

If a red flag goes up when it comes to a gun sale then the authorities should be notified.

What is the Left afraid of? That the illegal alien will be afraid to buy a gun because he might be found out to be illegal?

Ahh being illegal he should not be allowed to buy a gun. What does an illegal alien need with a gun anyway?
What I get from your anecdote regarding the mass shooter is that the red flag did no good. So this proposed amendment is designed to raise red flags. But what happens after that red flag is raised? And what happens in the court system when people sue because of the red flag raised? Will the police conduct surveillance on these people? How much surveillance, how much investigation? Because that can compromise someone's Constitutional rights. And then we end up in courts for years, and the amendment ends up being struck because it's found Unconstitutional.

I think this amendment would be better if it ONLY addressed illegals and ICE. I think it muddies the water to include citizens.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:55 AM

16,647 posts, read 8,660,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
sure. they don't want people they see as their future voters kicked out of the country...
That seems like a very cynical viewpoint.

That said, this preoccupation or even obession with allowing illegal aliens to come into this country is unacceptable. Then when they break laws, to try and shield them from our immigration service is beyond comprehension. Some of these people are likley ones who never reported back for their hearings, so maybe they do not want them to be deported, even though that is what the law calls for.
Giving them drivers licences is also absurd, but maybe they think it will be a means of allowing them to vote illegally.

Yet with all that and more, to think they do not want illegals reported for attempting to buy a gun is beyond all reason, logic and comprehension.
Then again Obama commuted a lot of drug dealers sentences (who also had gun convictions) and let them lose on our streets.
Maybe they think illegals should be able to buy guns to protect them from being deported, yet want law abiding American citizens to give up their guns.

This is not your fathers Democratic party any longer, as they have gone dog nuts.
This thread has plenty of examples how they have gone off the rails;

Why has the Democratic Party gone mad?

`

Old 02-19-2019, 12:01 PM

18,469 posts, read 7,110,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Never understood why the NRA so staunchly opposed universal background checks.

Easy.

Do you think that a father should have to do a background check on his son in order to give him a .22 for Christmas?

Old 02-19-2019, 12:04 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,407,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd also wonder if there is other reasons, what is the rate of blacks failing check?
Valid question. There is a mix of socioeconomic factors and racism, but when the factors are one or both is a thread on its own.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:07 PM

16,647 posts, read 8,660,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Never understood why the NRA so staunchly opposed universal background checks.
Nice try at diversion of this subject. Since I will not allow you to distract from the topic, feel free to ask the same question in another gun related thread, as there is a very logical reason to oppose what Democrats and anti-2nd Amendment types call "universal background checks".

In the mean time, since you are a Democrat, do you have anything salient to say on this subject?

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies