Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Belongs on Public Roadways?
Only Motor Vehicles 34 36.17%
Motor Vehicles, Bicyclists, and Pedestrians 60 63.83%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Part of driving is not dodging a cyclist who thinks he's driving a car...in the middle of the road. I happen to be a good driver, which is why I haven't hit any of these Lance Armstrong wannabes.
He has every right to the center of the road. The speed limit is the MAXIMUM speed that you may drive. But everyone wants to do ten or more over that speed limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 01:37 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
He has every right to the center of the road. The speed limit is the MAXIMUM speed that you may drive. But everyone wants to do ten or more over that speed limit.
You might want to re-take the drivers license test.

There is also a minimum speed on most roadways and a prohibition for "Impeding the free flow of traffic"

A bicyclist does not have the "right" to the center of the road.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:47 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,379 times
Exactly, that's like me walking in the middle of the street expecting to be safe...please...

Old 05-13-2008, 02:05 PM

10 posts, read 10,792 times
Does anyone know where speed "limits" come from? Who did their homework?
A hello kitty button awaits the 1st person who gets it right!

Cp

Quote:

Old 05-13-2008, 02:13 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,379 times
Well, it is well known that municipalities and states "enforce" these laws to boost revenue, sometimes they keep the limit artificially low to keep revenues coming in. Insurance companies also benefit from this as well. Not sure what the genesis of it was...

Old 05-13-2008, 02:45 PM

Here's the answer:
Traffic engineering council report summary: Survey of speed zoning practices | Institute of Transportation Engineers. ITE Journal | Find Articles at BNET.com

Heres the def of "speed Trap":
California Speed Trap Laws

Here's a funny case...I wonder if we can finder a bicycle in the middle of the road case! I will look...
http://www.highwayrobbery.net/TrcDoc...iBriefOpen.pdf

Old 05-13-2008, 02:55 PM

Can Someone read these whole bicycle in the road cases (from ohio) and give us a good summary? maybe we all can learn from this? I hope! Should the laws be changed? how? and Why?
(you can use findlaw i think to look up original cases?) I will help if needed!
Selz case, Fred Oswald
Not sure if Ca bike laws are the same or how similar/different from Ohio?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:59 PM

Mb,

yes its big bucks for sure. In Ca its in the billions of $. Now if they put that money to proper use (which they typically do not) then accident rates would be lower. I just need to start my own grass roots solution i guess?

Quote:
Well, it is well known that municipalities and states "enforce" these laws to boost revenue, sometimes they keep the limit artificially low to keep revenues coming in. Insurance companies also benefit from this as well. Not sure what the genesis of it was...

Old 05-13-2008, 03:38 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Exactly, that's like me walking in the middle of the street expecting to be safe...please...
According to FLORIDA law, a bicyclist is treated EXACTLY like a car. There is NO requirement for them to ride anywhere but the center of their lane...the right lane, just like cars.

I think, that like pedestrians, bicyclists should FACE oncoming traffic, so that they can get out of the WAY of cars.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:06 PM

Tk,

I do not think bikes riding on the opposite side of the road is a good idea at all. Thats why its NOT done that way now! Many drivers just do not expect to have a bike coming at them the opposite way when they are making a right turn or worse yet how would a bike do backwards left turns against traffic like you suggest? (i want to hear this one)! It just will not work safely. Peds can do it because they are typically moving so slow (and they can run out of the way of a stray car better if they are facing it). Bikes can be moving at 25MPH+ and if they come shooting out of nowhere in the wrong direction thats a big problem for auto drivers etc. Even someone on foot running through a cross walk is at high risk of being hit because auto drivers do not expect it (fast movement). A pedestrian gets hit more than once every two minutes in the USA, I don't know the stats for Bikes?
Anyone have that one?

I say put radio receivers in cars that tells a driver when a ped or a biker is ahead around the corner. The rider would wear a transmitter that transmits/tells cars he/she (or a cat or dog for that matter) is there and the driver can predict it and slow down... Why we have not utilized this simple technology is way beyond me. DuH duMb Apes with a collective IQ of less that dirt) (sorry dirt)! (I bet its all patented and some knucklehead is sitting on it for "future" profits while more and more people die in road accidents every year). It also takes cooperation and standards agreements for this to work, but we all know how bad Americans are at coming to an agreement!
And if greed/money gets involved well then we may as well forget afford ability.
Then someone (the MFG/inventor) would get sued if the units failed to work one time. No wonder why China is starting to Kick the USA's butt!!!
(Actually the USA just seems to kick itself in the butt over and over again!)!

Cp

Quote:
According to FLORIDA law, a bicyclist is treated EXACTLY like a car. There is NO requirement for them to ride anywhere but the center of their lane...the right lane, just like cars.

I think, that like pedestrians, bicyclists should FACE oncoming traffic, so that they can get out of the WAY of cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies