Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 11:59 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,302,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
depends on the club or business?

don't you mean depends on the race being discriminated, right?

blacks and Hispanics are always the victims.

whites and Asians are always the perpetrators.

I meant what I said. If you wanna put words in my mouth, be my guest. Doesn’t bother me in the least.

I never said that Asians are the perpetrators. But if you wanna take it that way, that’s none of my business.

Whites? Well who else is doing the discriminating against Asians if not whites? Blacks sure as hell aren’t writing the admissions standards. Harvard is run by whites from top to bottom, so why try to put us black folks into your bull**** when we’ve got nothing to do with it? Of course, it’s because you’re feeling some sort of funny way about black folks, but again, your problem...not ours.

I’m not about to apologize for a single black admission into Harvard or anywhere else. That’ll never happen.

This is a fight between whites and Asians ...deal with it and quit trying to be cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 11:59 AM

78,771 posts, read 60,983,135 times
Harvard will gladly drop standards for a high profile admission like if the future king of Saudi Arabia, former presidents kid etc. wants to attend....of if your really good at mens basketball lol.

I would point out however that even though they're private that's a 20th century defense and is no longer valid.

These days, various STEM companies are under constant attack for not having the right "diversity numbers" and are taken to task for it in the media. People aren't demanding ethnicity or gender A with 5% of the STEM majors but 10% of the population....have 5% of their employees from group A....they want 10%.

That lays all the past history of unequal education and opportunity along race and gender lines at the feet of a private company as if they're to blame for that.

So, realize that Harvard is getting hoisted by the same petard that the SJW's use all the time.

In fact, that's kinda the basis of the Harvard attack to show some of the challenges when forcing diversity hurts someone that isn't a white male.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:04 PM

14,248 posts, read 4,632,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I meant what I said. If you wanna put words in my mouth, be my guest. Doesn’t bother me in the least.

I never said that Asians are the perpetrators. But if you wanna take it that way, that’s none of my business.

Whites? Well who else is doing the discriminating against Asians if not whites? Blacks sure as hell aren’t writing the admissions standards. Harvard is run by whites from top to bottom, so why try to put us black folks into your bull**** when we’ve got nothing to do with it? Of course, it’s because you’re feeling some sort of funny way about black folks, but again, your problem...not ours.

I’m not about to apologize for a single black admission into Harvard or anywhere else. That’ll never happen.

This is a fight between whites and Asians ...deal with it and quit trying to be cute.
Yet, you are over here defending whites passing unjust law to discriminate Asian.

No, i'm not judging you because you are black because I can't tell if you are black/white/yellow by your screen name. I'm judging you because you are defending racist policy by Harvard.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:38 PM

12,436 posts, read 8,227,728 times
Quote:
Harvard accepts it...they don’t need a dime of it. At 37 billion dollars in endowment funds, they could survive quite well without a single fed dollar.

Moreover, with the some of the brightest scientists and researchers in the world, cutting off their federal dollars is just cutting off your nose to spite your face.
When you think your cause is righteous you do cut off your nose. Think of it like divesting from Israel.

Obviously people don't think Asians are worth it.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
When you think your cause is righteous you do cut off your nose. Think of it like divesting from Israel.

Obviously people don't think Asians are worth it.
I have no issues with divesting from Israel. I’m not an Israeli. That’s their problem.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Yet, you are over here defending whites passing unjust law to discriminate Asian.

No, i'm not judging you because you are black because I can't tell if you are black/white/yellow by your screen name. I'm judging you because you are defending racist policy by Harvard.
You call it defending. I call it truth telling. Makes me no difference anyway. I’ll never get into Harvard, didn’t want to attend Harvard, and I love my alma mater sufficiently enough that I’d send my kids there over Harvard any day. Ivy League is nothing to me personally although my son was accepted into Cornell. Meh.

The point is that bringing blacks into the conversation is dumb all the way around. I didn’t do it, you did.

What I’m defending is Harvard’s right to keep itself extremely exclusive because Harvard isn’t just an institution of higher learning. Harvard is a club. You can sit here and pretend that Harvard is Penn State or Rutgers if you want, but it isn’t. No Ivy is.

If I’m in admissions at Harvard, I’m going to discriminate in favor of the powerful and wealthy every time whether they’re scholastically ideal or not as candidates. To do so means that Harvard has to balance its admissions standards with realities. If most rich and famous applicants were Asians, then I’d admit them. But they aren’t ...most of the upper crust is white and to get those white dollars, I’ve gotta keep Harvard mostly white. Arguing against that is arguing against the sun coming up tomorrow. It’s senseless.

If Harvard wanted to just go by test scores, the whole campus could perhaps be Asian with few exceptions. That’s not gonna happen. You may not have a problem with it, but their alumni do. The alumni has billions...random applicants generally don’t.

That’s life.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:08 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,050,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I can see both sides to this argument so I'll present them and efficiently anger as many people as possible.

Side 1: Certainly, there is much much more to a candidate than grades and scores.

Kids in some parts of the country, especially the east coast are extremely focused towards SAT scores and prep endlessly for them plus focus on the extras to try to get their admission. A lot of these kids parents are professionals with advanced degrees etc.

Other kids might score a little less but don't have the piles of prep hours either. They may also work jobs and participate in a other activities that are shunned by the majority of the herd preparing their Ivy resumes.

Imagine you have an applicant whose parents are both doctors, 1600 SAT, etc. etc. 1st chair violin, debate club....all the usual crap.

Then you have the applicant with 1500 SAT, worked at the grocery store 10-15 hours a week to help family out with $$$. Neither parent went to college. From a regular non-magnet public school.

I can absolutely see why taking someone that didn't have the perfect (or near perfect) SAT score but still quite a high one if they weren't in the position to be prepping for it for 5 years lol and have some more unique life skills and experience than just one more private school tiger mom progeny from the east coast.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side 2: There is indeed a slippery slope between diversity and merit.

I've posted before that if you go to the local math competitions they are absolutely dominated by the Pak\India\China kids of professionals that work at area tech and communications companies. On those days if you walk over to the basketball clinic in the gym or a soccer clinic outside you won't see that...you'll see mostly white & black kids.

This is not because of ethnicity but rather selection bias. Those people are here because they are highly educated in STEM fields and as such are going to have a household environment putting education near the top as well as some family genetics towards intelligence and efforts put towards that and NOT sports.

It's galling for people to have no problem with top college basketball being packed with white and black people and hardly anyone from east asia and that's due to "merit" but when those kids kick butt in academics it's "well that needs to be balanced out for "diversity".
Does anyone research about what years of oppression can cause to the brains?? If a poor black guy as in your example is really shining, I wouldnt mind having him in place of that Indo/Chinese doctors's kid.

And dont put Pak in the same bracket as Indo/Chinese

Old 02-26-2019, 01:11 PM

14,248 posts, read 4,632,920 times
Quote:
You call it defending. I call it truth telling. Makes me no difference anyway. I’ll never get into Harvard, didn’t want to attend Harvard, and I love my alma mater sufficiently enough that I’d send my kids there over Harvard any day. Ivy League is nothing to me personally although my son was accepted into Cornell. Meh.

The point is that bringing blacks into the conversation is dumb all the way around. I didn’t do it, you did.

What I’m defending is Harvard’s right to keep itself extremely exclusive because Harvard isn’t just an institution of higher learning. Harvard is a club. You can sit here and pretend that Harvard is Penn State or Rutgers if you want, but it isn’t. No Ivy is.

If I’m in admissions at Harvard, I’m going to discriminate in favor of the powerful and wealthy every time whether they’re scholastically ideal or not as candidates. To do so means that Harvard has to balance its admissions standards with realities. If most rich and famous applicants were Asians, then I’d admit them. But they aren’t ...most of the upper crust is white and to get those white dollars, I’ve gotta keep Harvard mostly white. Arguing against that is arguing against the sun coming up tomorrow. It’s senseless.

If Harvard wanted to just go by test scores, the whole campus could perhaps be Asian with few exceptions. That’s not gonna happen. You may not have a problem with it, but their alumni do. The alumni has billions...random applicants generally don’t.

That’s life.
And i am also here to tell the truth. Preferential treatment, from any public or private entity, based on race is a violation of Civil Right Act of 1964/EEO

I am pretty sure Harvard is not above the law.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Does anyone research about what years of oppression can cause to the brains?? If a poor black guy as in your example is really shining, I wouldnt mind having him in place of that Indo/Chinese doctors's kid.

And dont put Pak in the same bracket as Indo/Chinese
Thing is, the admissions policy that hurts Asians is set up to favor whites, not blacks. Harvard will not admit ONE LESS black student no matter what happens in this lawsuit. They want blacks on the campus in whatever predetermined numbers they already find acceptable. Blacks aren’t part of this equation. A lot of whites just want it to be because they refuse to accept the issue as a white vs Asian issue. It’s easier if they use blacks as a wedge so that Asians (who Conservative whites are weirdly protective of) won’t focus on THEM.

But I’ve read enough Asian writers to know that they see the game pretty clearly.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
And i am also here to tell the truth. Preferential treatment, from any public or private entity, based on race is a violation of Civil Right Act of 1964/EEO

I am pretty sure Harvard is not above the law.
Harvard doesn’t need to be above it. That’s what you refuse to understand. Harvard can easily lose this lawsuit and keep the student body exactly how it is today, and that’s exactly what they’ll do. In fact, they can set it up to cut the Asian population of the student body down to its proportionate size in the population as a whole. There are all kinds of tools in their bag that they can use being a private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies