Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 12:02 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I don't understand why they need to invent the wheel. There are precedents for reparations.
My grandmother received 5000 Deutschmarks from Germany for her personal suffering in WW2. Not my mother, nor me, nor my kids.
So, in this case former AA slaves should file an application and receive their reparations.
Same here. My grandfather received reparations from Germany for his suffering. He was physically damaged the rest of his life from the starvation.

However, Germany did not "pay out" to descendants of those who did not survive. My grandmother (on the other side) lost her entire family - her mother, her sister, her brother-in-law, and their four children. Nobody else from her family survived. She did not get paid, nor did my father.

This is simply a vote-buying ploy, and a stupid one at that. Any progressive running on handing out reparations will lose 80% of the white vote - especially from whites who immigrated here less than 150 years ago. Doesn't sound like a winning proposition to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 12:04 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm a first generation American. I have no ties to this land historically, family wise and so on. My background is both black and white, with most of my ancestry being black and white immigrants from other lands situated in Europe, the Caribbean and South America. Clearly off the back I don't receive jack crap of any sort of reparations.

Now with me out of the way. There is been plenty of rambling on the internet by the likes of Pro Black social media influencers such as Tariq Nasheed, Yvette Carnal and Antonio Moore who are pushing the case for reparations for black Americans who have been historical victims of slavery, Jim Crow, Red Lining Sub Prime Mortgage targets and so on. All of which has lead them to be economically inferior to other groups of people. Even economically inferior to African Immigrants, Afro Latinos such as Cubans and Dominicans, Haitians and black Caribbeans. These influencers are pushing #ADOS, but I also feel that this movement is very racist and xenophobic especially towards other black people of non slave heritage or non Jim Crow heritage.

The ramblings for reparations seeped into the 2020 presidential race with the likes of Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren stating some form of reparations. All which can be googled. My question is this. If black Americans receive reparations, who gets them and how such reparations should be received. Should reparations be received in taxes subsidy, taxes be limited on black Americans, should the government post 2 trillion dollar reparations grant which can be divided up for all 34 million black Americans which equates to 52K dollars per head. Instead of money, possibly allowing exams have special points for black Americans. Example, SAT for example anyone of African American descent receives 300 points. Or on an government exam like NYPD or FDNY exam African Americans an automatic 10 points. Military exam black Americans receive an automatic 5 points.

Also who receives or who gets reparations? Of course black Americans would get it, but do afro Latinos, black Caribbean and Africans receive reparations for being black? Also plenty of white Americans have 1 or 2 African American descendants, and many of them are former slave. Do those white folks have the right to receive reparations? It seems this topic is a slippery slope for many Americans.
Nobody should get reparations because nobody alive today was a slave. This is beyond ridiculous. It's a money grab by the non-producers.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:05 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
if you can identify with a race, you should get a full share .... it's America, be what you want to be.
What if I want to be 32 again?

Old 02-28-2019, 12:06 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,959 times
If the Govt allots reparations, I, like many ,will have to revert to the one drop rule.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:04 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Reparations can be made to those communities that were systematically discriminated against through US laws that kept them from owning homes, such as redlining; by the criminal justice system that shoots and kills more black people in proportion to whites, even when they are innocent and imprisons and tortures them without providing defense, holding innocent people in jail because they cannot post bail, thus separating black men from their families for years.

Invest in infrastructure in these communities by building housing, schools, hire more teachers, provide child care so parents can hold down a job.

It can be done. If there is a will and honesty.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:06 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What if I want to be 32 again?
Why stop at 32? Bring on 25. Independent but young and full of energy!

Old 02-28-2019, 01:11 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
the criminal justice system that shoots and kills more black people in proportion to whites
This is such a false narrative, law enforcement shoots and kills proportionally pretty much exactly the same number of black people as their representation in criminal activity as white people. There are just more black people involved in crime proportionally. This isn't because of the color of their skin, it's because of socio-economic and educational factors. White people with similar educations and economic status have the same criminal tendencies

Old 02-28-2019, 01:12 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
I'm a first generation American. I have no ties to this land historically, family wise and so on. My background is both black and white, with most of my ancestry being black and white immigrants from other lands situated in Europe, the Caribbean and South America. Clearly off the back I don't receive jack crap of any sort of reparations.

Now with me out of the way. There is been plenty of rambling on the internet by the likes of Pro Black social media influencers such as Tariq Nasheed, Yvette Carnal and Antonio Moore who are pushing the case for reparations for black Americans who have been historical victims of slavery, Jim Crow, Red Lining Sub Prime Mortgage targets and so on. All of which has lead them to be economically inferior to other groups of people. Even economically inferior to African Immigrants, Afro Latinos such as Cubans and Dominicans, Haitians and black Caribbeans. These influencers are pushing #ADOS, but I also feel that this movement is very racist and xenophobic especially towards other black people of non slave heritage or non Jim Crow heritage.

The ramblings for reparations seeped into the 2020 presidential race with the likes of Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren stating some form of reparations. All which can be googled. My question is this. If black Americans receive reparations, who gets them and how such reparations should be received. Should reparations be received in taxes subsidy, taxes be limited on black Americans, should the government post 2 trillion dollar reparations grant which can be divided up for all 34 million black Americans which equates to 52K dollars per head. Instead of money, possibly allowing exams have special points for black Americans. Example, SAT for example anyone of African American descent receives 300 points. Or on an government exam like NYPD or FDNY exam African Americans an automatic 10 points. Military exam black Americans receive an automatic 5 points.

Also who receives or who gets reparations? Of course black Americans would get it, but do afro Latinos, black Caribbean and Africans receive reparations for being black? Also plenty of white Americans have 1 or 2 African American descendants, and many of them are former slave. Do those white folks have the right to receive reparations? It seems this topic is a slippery slope for many Americans.
While I oppose reparations to the current generation of the self-aggrieved, I'll play.

I think that reparations would be limited to those who can show ties to the land, who are the descendants of those who were wronged and abused either by the US government or via US government sanction (think slavery, Jim Crow, military discrimination, etc.). Simpy put, the US government shouldn't pay for wrongs committed by other governments.

But even then, there would be a fair question of the extent of the ties you'd have to show. Indeed, even those blacks who can trace back to that era/discrimination are often mixed with other parts of the diaspora who don't have any ties to the aforementioned as they relate to the US. For instance, my mother's family are African Americans (as the term was originally understood, while my father's family has Caribbean and more recent African roots.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:12 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:

No one. It’s a stupid argument.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:14 PM

422 posts, read 336,401 times
And what if you are both? Descendant of both a white slave owning family and of a black slave family? Do you pay yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies