Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Obama's legacy is....
Stellar. He is one of the best ever. Changed America for good. 13 16.67%
Decent. Left a lot on table but his aspirations were bold, and he had some victories. 43 55.13%
Mixed bag. 8 10.26%
Disappointing. Just was not effective, or alternatively, was too centrist. 2 2.56%
Poor. Embarrassing how little he accomplished or, alternatively, how he sold out. 12 15.38%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 01:36 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times

Advertisements

He saved the world from the disaster W created, gave Americans healthcare, and did all he could with the hardcore right wing radicals trying to destroy him. It's funny all the birthers and other right wing lunatics chose not to run again for office, or got voted out.
Remember the Koch's "Tea party"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 01:41 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Both Democrats and Republicans in Congress voted for the war in Iraq. Including Hillary, and Kerry.
Nice try - but it simply would have never gotten anywhere near that far without LOTS of behind the scenes work by Cheney and Rummy, including firing DOD officials and consultants who told them not to do it.

History records stuff - the Big Picture. GWB is "the guy" most singularly responsible for:

1. The Great Recession
2. The Massive expenses of blood and treasure on wars
3. The continuation of "head in the sand" attitude about health care, resulting double digit increases yearly, millions dropped by their insurance companies and record bankruptcies due to medical bills.

Of course he did many other poor "decider" type of things....

Old 03-13-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Dems had access to the same INTEL. Do you think Clinton and Kerry and Biden took Bush's word for it? LOL.....the groundwork for regime change in Iraq started under Bill Clinton.

the same thing Hillary and Obama did un Siria and Lybia.
Access to the same lying intel that Cheney and Rummy and many others made sure was reported exactly as they wanted.....yeah. Correct.

One of these things is not like the other. How many Trillions did we spend in Libya? How many trillions in Syria?

Libya cost about 1.2 Billion - or WAY less than 1/2 of 1% of Iraq and Afghanistan.

How many dead and wounded American service people in Libya?
"No U.S. military lives were lost on the battlefield."

At some point I hope you use reason and logic in your comparisons. One of these things is not like the other.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:58 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
At least I found out that Waldokitty and Phma are Democrats... talk about irony.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:59 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I am a libertarian Republican, but will keep out. I am wondering how Obama is regarded these days amongst his own because:

1. His party continues to go much further left than he ever dared.
2. He was recently attacked by Omar and seems out of step with a party increasingly dominated by Sanders/Cortez thinking.
3. No one talks about him much these days.
4. A lot of what he actually did was rolled back by Trump.
5. An awful lot was left on table in the first place.
6. Seems as if he is being held at least a bit responsible for letting Trump rise.

Just curious as to how you regard him. Remember, this is in the context of being a democrat, so you can say what you feel. Everyone knows you are not going to abandon his memory to become a Republican.
Honestly I find it hard to talk about 'legacy' so soon.

THe obvious is being the first Black President -- that's a big deal but more than that -- I need more time.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:00 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
At least I found out that Waldokitty and Phma are Democrats... talk about irony.
They aren't, they're fibbing

Old 03-13-2019, 05:01 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times
Thanks for all responses.

A lot of complaining because I am only asking for Democrat votes. I know what WE think of him. The poll is to see how Obama fares AMONG HIS OWN, BY THEIR METRICS.

Thanks for the indulgence

Old 03-13-2019, 05:18 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Obama is too polarizing at the current time to really assess his legacy. I think history will mostly remember him positively, especially in comparison with the Trump era that has followed. I think his legacy will be centered primarily around ending the Great Recession, being the first black President, being the 'gay marriage' President, and presiding over the increasing cultural tension between the Christian Right and SJWs that resulted in the rise of Trump.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:46 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Thanks for all responses.

A lot of complaining because I am only asking for Democrat votes. I know what WE think of him. The poll is to see how Obama fares AMONG HIS OWN, BY THEIR METRICS.

Thanks for the indulgence
You'll note that most Democrats think he was a great or decent president. Only the fake Democrats think he was a poor president. And since their votes don't count, I'd say President Obama fares pretty well among those in his own party.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Obama is too polarizing at the current time to really assess his legacy. I think history will mostly remember him positively, especially in comparison with the Trump era that has followed. I think his legacy will be centered primarily around ending the Great Recession, being the first black President, being the 'gay marriage' President, and presiding over the increasing cultural tension between the Christian Right and SJWs that resulted in the rise of Trump.
How can you say a 63% current rating among ALL Americans is polarizing?

Trump is really nothing that was not a continuation of Newt, Delay, Graham and the rest. He's the Wet Dream of government wrecking and hypocritical corruption.

Obama didn't "make" anything happen....I think he'd have gotten re-elected easily against Trump if our system worked that way. His popularity was at a peak in 2015-2016 which seems to argue against him being "made" by the forces that have been with us since Reagan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies