Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 02:41 AM

37,971 posts, read 17,916,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I didn’t say that. At all. But you can’t be the self proclaimed leaders of the free world one minute and then defend you have little influence the next. And off course stuff that happens in America influenced the shooting. His manifesto makes that clear. Doesn’t mean America is responsible for the shootings. Those are two different concepts.
America influencing him is a cop out. He did it on his own free will. His hatred was always in place.

Because some blowhard said America is the leader of the free world means it's true? The free world? lol It isn't because of our military might is it? Because using force doesn't sound like freedom to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 02:49 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,377,447 times
Quote:
Dude, the shooter referenced America and America’s left/right war. That’s just a fact. Therefore, America had some influence in this. That doesn’t mean it’s America’s fault. However, if you take your place at the head of the world table, you have to accept that you have effect on those seated with you, both good and bad.
He intentionally reference America to stir up further division amoung us. Like you’re doing now. It’s people like you that fall for it. The guns he used were specific, too (semi automatic large magazines). He had planned this for years.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:01 AM

13,505 posts, read 10,004,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
America influencing him is a cop out. He did it on his own free will. His hatred was always in place.

Because some blowhard said America is the leader of the free world means it's true? The free world? lol It isn't because of our military might is it? Because using force doesn't sound like freedom to me.
Some blowhard? Seriously? It’s one of the most common phrases used to describe the POTUS. (All POTUS’).

People do not live in a vaccum. All sorts of things influence everyone. The influence of America on the rest of the world is everywhere. The guy referenced Candace Owens for God’s sake. Not exactly a household name in NZ.

You are conflating influence with fault. The guy committed the act with autonomy, but I don’t doubt all the famous mass shootings had influence on the way he carried out his act. Not all mass shootings that possibly influenced him were committed in the US. He obviously has access to writings by extreme right wingers everywhere in the world, icluding here in the Antipodes. But America is the biggest, loudest, most prevalent culture in the Western world. Fact.

I have lived in the US for many many years before returning back to Australia. The effect of America on our culture is undeniable. Accelerated by technology no doubt. Just a fact. Both good and bad. Inevitable really.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
He intentionally reference America to stir up further division amoung us. Like you’re doing now. It’s people like you that fall for it. The guns he used were specific, too (semi automatic large magazines). He had planned this for years.
I’m not stirring up anything. I get that. But this denying that the US has global influence culturally is just ridiculous. Of course it does. If this was a good and benevolent act that referenced America instead of a heinous one you guys would all be tooting your horns about the great USA and its global good.

Still not saying it’s anyones fault but his.

Last edited by FinsterRufus; 03-15-2019 at 03:16 AM..

Old 03-15-2019, 03:11 AM

49 people have died now.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:14 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,377,447 times
Quote:

Still not saying it’s anyones fault but his.
You sure had me fooled. Just come out and say it’s Trump, his supporters, Republicans and the AR15......like liberals are doing on social media. SMH ��*♂️

Old 03-15-2019, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
You sure had me fooled. Just come out and say it’s Trump, his supporters, Republicans and the AR15......like liberals are doing on social media. SMH ��*♂️
Not hard I’d wager, however I can’t take credit for that because I don’t actually believe that the people you mention are actual hardcore right extremists like this guy. Those guys are disgusting dregs of human beings. I would never put everyday Americans in the same league as that murderous scum. Even if they are Trump supporters.

(Relax, joking).

Old 03-15-2019, 03:55 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,816,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
New Zealand doesn't have particularly strict gun laws. Pretty much anyone over 16 who isn't a felon or mentally ill can purchase a gun, and although you do have to apply for a license, you don't need to register your guns and many types of guns are available for purchase. There are an estimated 1.5 million guns in the country, and only about 5 million people, which puts it in about the top 8% of all countries in the world for gun ownership.
Poster may be confusing NZ with Australia which has very strict gun laws and for some reason, very little gun violence.

I will not watch the video or read any of this murderer's online ramblings. I don't know why anyone would. These poor people were just there to worship.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:58 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,091,520 times
I read most of his Manifesto, the scariest part is it reads like many of the posters here, talking about various things having to do with white birth rates and invaders into America. It's almost comical how much it fits into the alt-right box checklist.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:00 AM

35,265 posts, read 17,150,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Don't get it twisted, people.

Doesn't matter if it's Christchurch or Texas, the motive is still exactly the same.

Narcissists wanting their 15 minutes of infamy by committing the most horrible acts possible, and then reveling in the horror and world wide attention they get.

The outer motives may appear to be different, but the inner motives of these mass killers are all exactly the same. Not surprising at all there was a manifesto.

Next up: social media posts uncovered of shooter posing with guns and preaching hate towards muslims, jews, and anyone and everyone else.
This thread which I OP'd, Should More Murder Suspects Die During Arrests?, illustrates what I think should have happened here; he did not need to be taken alive. This kind of vermin is of no use to any civilized society.

That being said, their may well be more such attacks. I didn't expect New Zealand or Australia to be the target of such an attack. I picked out Continental Europe. There is a sense among the people that the needs of the middle class are being ignored and the elites favor being "world citizens", of course at others' expense. I have predicted for a long time that skinheads and the like would take matters into their own hands. This attack is more horrific than anything I can imagine, and I do not favor this. However, our actions, vis a vis the unassimilated communities in our midst, should not be to cower behind metal detectors, not to turn our airports, schools and office buildings into symbols of appeasement.

A more measured approach, recognizing, in a non-murderous way, who is at war with us, and acting accordingly is needed. It's called profiling. No way around it, or these maniacs will be running things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies