Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 12:05 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I think the funniest part to Individuals 1's melt down is, that last night, was a rerun.
Right, he would never pay attention to details, having been from three months ago, only that they were addressing him. How dare they.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 12:14 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Remind me to bring this stupid episode up when the right on say Fox does this to the next Democrat president in two years and faces similar issues. I just don't get why the right cannot take a joke about anything while the left seems to take it in stride. I haven't heard positive or negative from any Democrat, yet Republicans continually say that they are not seen in a positive light on this satire. What they forget Hammond as Clinton?

Old 03-18-2019, 01:23 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,928 times
Instead of threating an investigation, why not simply have everyone on SNL arrested and NBC seized by the government. That's how a proper dictatorship is run!

Old 03-18-2019, 02:46 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Instead of threating an investigation, why not simply have everyone on SNL arrested and NBC seized by the government. That's how a proper dictatorship is run!
Trump is as inept at being a dictator as he is at just about everything else. For once, I'm grateful.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:39 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,406,449 times
I seem to recall an interview with William Gaines, publisher of Mad Magazine, where he was asked, "Why does Mad always make fun of the US President, no matter what party he represents?"

The answer was, "Because he's the US President." Paraphrased, but it makes the point.

The US President, Republican or Democrat, is ripe for satire. So, those media outlets that thrive on satire, will make fun of any US President. They don't care about party; they will satirize the current president's policies, personality, and personal characteristics. It's just what they do.

Most US Presidents have just shrugged it off with a smile. Richard Nixon actually participated, when he appeared on "Laugh In" back in the 1960s, saying "Sock it to me." But all have taken the ribbing as it was meant: like an editorial cartoon, truthful, but meant in good fun, and ultimately harmless. Perhaps beneficial, as it makes the US President look human, like the rest of us.

It seems to me that Mr. Trump doesn't get this. He thinks he is to be automatically respected--but neither SNL nor Mad Magazine nor other satirical outlets will do this, because they never have accorded respect to any Republican or Democrat president. Mr. Trump doesn't get that he is the target of satire, which is humorous; and which has existed towards US presidents since the days of cartoonist Thomas Nast (who died in 1902). If Mr. Trump does not want to be made fun of--then he should not have run for, and won, the Presidency. By doing so, he set himself up to be made fun of by the satirists.

Mr. Trump, if you're reading, I'd advise you to just laugh along with SNL. To demand that it be shut down or "investigated" in some way, just makes you look like a chump at best (in other words, you were beaten in a game you did not know how to play), and a wannabe-dictator at worst. And the more you complain, the more they will make fun of you. For your own good, you may wish to just stop complaining about SNL, and take everything in good humor. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, after all.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 03-18-2019 at 04:09 AM..

Old 03-18-2019, 03:48 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,794 times
Can you imagine if he DID read C D posts?? He's be after all of us.. or wanting to Sue C D...haha.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:51 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Do "stable geniuses" act like this?
I think the orange man has gone insane! No rational person behaves like he has this weekend.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:55 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The reason that Trump is threatening SNL with hellfire isn't that he's bothered because it's no longer that funny.
Well it may not be funny to him, but I find it absolutely hilarious since Trump took office.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:08 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I think the orange man has gone insane! No rational person behaves like he has this weekend.
We've grown accustomed to Trump's incoherent ramblings about collusion and Democrats and Russians and who knows what all. But this weekend was something else.

He attacked and insulted everyone from McCain to SNL, lied about his approval ratings, ... If that wasn't enough, he retweeted:

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status...42147278639105

There is something truly bizarre about this.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:34 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,361,409 times
Comedy is funny because it is based on truth. Exaggerated, parodied, twisted but with a little or a lot of truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies