Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:05 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,287,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Haven't watched SNL in years.

It's just not funny anymore.
On the contrary - I'm enjoying it more now than I have ever since Dennis Miller left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Instead of threating an investigation, why not simply have everyone on SNL arrested and NBC seized by the government. That's how a proper dictatorship is run!
LOL, but ... Shhhhhh. You don't want to give him any ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I seem to recall an interview with William Gaines, publisher of Mad Magazine, where he was asked, "Why does Mad always make fun of the US President, no matter what party he represents?"

The answer was, "Because he's the US President." Paraphrased, but it makes the point.

The US President, Republican or Democrat, is ripe for satire. So, those media outlets that thrive on satire, will make fun of any US President. They don't care about party; they will satirize the current president's policies, personality, and personal characteristics. It's just what they do.

Most US Presidents have just shrugged it off with a smile. Richard Nixon actually participated, when he appeared on "Laugh In" back in the 1960s, saying "Sock it to me." But all have taken the ribbing as it was meant: like an editorial cartoon, truthful, but meant in good fun, and ultimately harmless. Perhaps beneficial, as it makes the US President look human, like the rest of us.

It seems to me that Mr. Trump doesn't get this. He thinks he is to be automatically respected--but neither SNL nor Mad Magazine nor other satirical outlets will do this, because they never have accorded respect to any Republican or Democrat president. Mr. Trump doesn't get that he is the target of satire, which is humorous; and which has existed towards US presidents since the days of cartoonist Thomas Nast (who died in 1902).
Exactly what I was going to say, but you said it better than I would have.

Lyndon Johnson, too, appreciated the satirists and comedians poking fun at him. He knew it was their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
SNL has always been liberal Jews demonstrating hatred towards white Christians and that hasn't changed from its inception till now
Whoa. Which conspiracy theorist's behind did you pull that from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
These same people praising Trump for his SNL attack will wet their pants should the next democrat president ask for an investigation into Hannity, Tucker and Limbaugh.
Apples and oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
It's a Democratic Party propaganda show now, that tries to disguise itself as a comedy show.
Uh ... no. Next? I don't begrudge them their politics, but let's call a spade, a spade.

Quote:
SNL isn't funny, because political activism isn't funny. It's also not 1983 anymore, where there are only 3 channels to choose from on Saturday night.
Huh? This makes even less sense than your last post.

Quote:
The obvious is that the left is absolutely fine with weaponizing law enforcement to investigate it's political enemies, while looking for a crime.
LOL. Every administration since the FBI was created has weaponized law enforcement to investigate its (no apostrophe) political enemies.

Quote:
What is it the left likes to say..."If they're not guilty of anything, then they have nothing to worry about"?
Somewhat off-topic, but isn't that precisely what the right said when the Bush 43 administration pushed all that homeland security-type legislation after 9/11?

What's sauce for the goose and all that.

Quote:
Maybe Trump should launch a Special Counsel? Overwhelm the cast & producers with legal fees until they can't pay their lawyers anymore? Bankrupt them all. Make them lose their homes, all their savings, etc. Then investigate their family's & do the same to them. Finally bring them in & threaten their family members with 30 in prison unless they plead guilty to some procedural violation. Does this sound unfair?
Sounds like Russia, North Korea, et al.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 08:08 AM

17,020 posts, read 12,615,413 times
Funny the scariest thing I saw is he actually believes he is 52% approval. (42.6 RCP average. Even Rasumssen is only 48)

6 more years of this clown. Sigh. Dems are going to re-elect him.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:18 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,577,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Haven't watched SNL in years.

It's just not funny anymore.

Preachy, uptight and angry is what it is now.

Shame because it used to be a really funny show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
But SNL isn't funny often.
Quote:
SNL has always been liberal Jews demonstrating hatred towards white Christians and that hasn't changed from its inception till now...I'm okay with Trump choosing to fight them however he legally chooses to.
Spoken like true trumplings.

And what exactly is he going to investigate, huh? That SNL hurt his feewings? Boo. Hoo.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:00 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,780,185 times
Quote:
SNL has always been liberal Jews demonstrating hatred towards white Christians and that hasn't changed from its inception till now...I'm okay with Trump choosing to fight them however he legally chooses to.

Whaaaat?

Anti-semitic much?

And you're OK with Trump fighting Kleenex and losing to it? Here's a clue for you - Americans have a president, not a semi-divine dictator. We have always made fun of our presidents, right from the beginning, and you will just have to get used to it.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:40 AM

26,579 posts, read 14,476,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We've grown accustomed to Trump's incoherent ramblings about collusion and Democrats and Russians and who knows what all. But this weekend was something else.

He attacked and insulted everyone from McCain to SNL, lied about his approval ratings, ... If that wasn't enough, he retweeted:

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status...42147278639105

There is something truly bizarre about this.

he built his base by using birthers as the foundation.

Last edited by wrecking ball; 03-18-2019 at 09:51 AM..

Old 03-18-2019, 10:56 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,671,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I support the president totally but on this issue I don’t agree he should press charges against SNL. It makes him look thin skinned.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eet-storm.html
I bet most Trump supporters quite strongly disagree with you.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:59 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,610,409 times
Quote:
I support the president totally but on this issue I don’t agree he should press charges against SNL. It makes him look thin skinned.

It doesn't make him look thin skinned...he IS thin skinned.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:01 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:

Trump has a point, with all the scandals over campaign finance and free political rhetoric(good & bad) towards a person, running for office.
There were laws on a 50/50 basis. equal bashing and equal promos.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:06 AM

26,579 posts, read 14,476,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There were laws on a 50/50 basis. equal bashing and equal promos.

those were the FCC "fairness doctrine" laws. they haven't existed since the 1980's.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:31 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,433,189 times
Individual 1's mental state is in a deep decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies