Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:42 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
What happens if the employer decides NOT to fill the position of the pregnant parent? Does it breed resentment among the remaining employees that they are stuck doing extra work? Would they receive bonuses or extra Personal Time off for doing their job PLUS the pregnant parent? I’d be open to this new scheme if the employer would give me 1 1/2 years to go on “sabbatical” with pay. Equal pay and benefits for equal work.
The company isn't paying the employee while off, unless they choose to top up their benefit.

In my office, it depended on the job. Some had temporary workers come in, some reshuffled some duties.

I never felt I was doing more work because a co-worker was off taking care of their newborn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Employment Insurance, used to be called Unemployment Insurance"

And most of us know when you file claims on your insurance, your insurance rates GO UP and cancelled if you have "too many claims".
Government " employment insurance " isn't run like an insurance company just because it has insurance in the name.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:02 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You don't seem to have a problem with the TRILLIONS (with a 'T') of dollar we wasted on needless Republican wars but $12,000 is where you draw the line?

One less religious war and this program basically pays for itself and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Really don't see it as an either-or choice.

No wars and no programs that bribe twdbs to come here to spawn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The point is not it's either/or. It's when one party has flushed trillions of dollars down the toilet and think it's perfectly fine, this attack on $12,000 seems like either fake outrage or a brain dead reaction.

Because I 100% do not buy that a $12,000 number is giving them pulse when trillions didn't.

Why should I pay other people to reproduce?

Old 03-19-2019, 10:03 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Why should I pay other people to reproduce?
You already do. What do you think the tax credit you claim on W4s is?

Old 03-19-2019, 10:30 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
I believe only Papua New Guinea and America are the two countries left without such a program. So if America joins the rest of the world, then it will be up to Papua New Guinea to carry the torch of freedom into the future... Will you move to Papua?
Nah....I much prefer Old Guinea myself.

I'm in favor, lets have more babies. People forget that one of the main drivers of GDP growth is population growth. Many countries are paying people to have children due to declining birthrates.

Its kind of racist to assume that the only people that would benefit from this policy are either the poor or immigrants since they only represent a small percentage of the population.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:42 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The company isn't paying the employee while off, unless they choose to top up their benefit.

In my office, it depended on the job. Some had temporary workers come in, some reshuffled some duties.

I never felt I was doing more work because a co-worker was off taking care of their newborn.
The bill is not only for maternal and paternal leave but includes all major health conditions, for the employee as well as paid time if they have to care for a family member. It will very likely run in the 100’s of billions per year.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:59 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Last I checked Bush, a Republican, started Afghanistan and Iraq all by himself."

" all by himself."

Then you are ignorant of the FACTS.

W. Bush was GIVEN the AUTHORITY by Congress.

The DEMS controlled the Senate, Tom Daschele was the Senate MAJORITY Leader.

As we saw with harry reid as the SML, he can STOP any bill he wants.

Daschele not only did NOT stop the bill he CO-SPONSORED IT!

In the House, the House Minority Leader ALSO CO-sponsored the bill.

WITHOUT the dems support, the bill would NEVER had been passed and W would NOT have had the authority to go.

Let me REPEAT, WITHOUT the dem VOTE , the repubs did NOT have enough votes on their own to pass the bill, Bush would NOT have had the AUTHORITY!

Dem's who voted FOR the wars:
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE) Later became VP
Breaux (D-LA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Carnahan (D-MO)
Carper (D-DE)
Cleland (D-GA)
Clinton (D-NY) Later became Sec. of State and ran for the Presidency (Labeled Smartest women in the world by many lefties)
Daschle (D-SD) Leader of the Senate at the time and co-sponsored the bill
Dodd (D-CT)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Edwards (D-NC) Ran for VP
Feinstein (D-CA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hollings (D-SC)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kerry (D-MA) Ran for Pres.
Kohl (D-WI)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lieberman (D-CT) Ran for Pres.
Lincoln (D-AR)
Miller (D-GA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Reid (D-NV) leader of the Senate at he time
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Schumer (D-NY) Later became the SML
Torricelli (D-NJ)

"Last I checked Bush, a Republican, started Afghanistan and Iraq all by himself."

All these YEARS, later and you STILL DON'T KNOW the FACTS.

And WE are called the UN-educated by the left and time after time why we CAN'T have HONEST FACTUAL discussions with dems because they DON'T KNOW the FACTS!

You people and your FACTS think you can Trump the left's indisputable emotion driven... emotions? Huh? Well I got a NEWS ALERT for you. You are absolutely right! So there!

Old 03-19-2019, 03:08 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,410,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
http://www.nationalpartnership.org/o...by-section.pdf

Guess the Democrats want all taxpayers to pay more tax so new mothers and fathers can have up to $12,000 to stay at home for 3 months.

So far, the goodies are California senator's $500 monthly prize for families with children, Elizabeth Warren and her free childcare proposal and Bernie Sanders proposes free college.

New proposal by the Democrats: Up to $12,000 for 3 months of paid parental leave for new fathers and mothers paid for by a new 0.4% payroll tax split between employee and employer.

They claim it will be less than $2 for the typical worker which means that the 0.4% payroll tax would generate about $4 weekly or $208 a year yet the pay-out would be up to $12,000.

Seems as though there is some strange math going on and that they would likely have to divert funds to the program or they would have to increase the taxes on the program because generating $208 a year in revenue for a program with a payout of $12,000 doesn't seem possible.

The Democrats are coming with up with a new giveaway to manipulate voters into voting for them on top of all the other giveaways.
Payroll tax are the keywords. Small business just gets help on a 1099 basis. Try not to keep around more than 180 days and you can avoid this fiasco.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:12 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,410,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
I believe only Papua New Guinea and America are the two countries left without such a program. So if America joins the rest of the world, then it will be up to Papua New Guinea to carry the torch of freedom into the future... Will you move to Papua?
Milne Bay in the PNG is really stunning. Just saying. Also very safe. Port Moresby makes Jo'burg seem like a nunnery.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The bill is not only for maternal and paternal leave but includes all major health conditions, for the employee as well as paid time if they have to care for a family member. It will very likely run in the 100’s of billions per year.
I was responding to the situation in Canada, not this particular bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies