Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 11:21 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm not military, but it honestly would have never occurred to me that anyone wearing a dress uniform to a formal occasion would be considered to have acted inappropriately.
They aren’t and that is one person’s opinion. By the regulations, it is appropriate. At many weddings it would be appropriate, this particular bride happened to have an issue with it and I suppose the vet you responded to did also. Like I said, military members in my family tend to wear their uniforms to weddings and funerals, and no one bats an eye.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:23 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
This came from Reddit from a throwaway account created just to talk about this alleged incident, the chances of this being real in any way are about .3% and that's being very generous.

With that being said, I can see both sides of this and I'm a Marine vet. Any guy who's been through a formal wedding ceremony as a groom knows that they're just along for the ride, the bride is in charge. The bride planned a lot of the details of that ceremony a decade or 2 before he ever met her, that's just how women are wired. I can completely see a bride being bothered by a guy showing up in USMC dress blues because it might have stolen some of her thunder. I can also easily understand that clueless Marine thinking that he could save a couple hundred bucks on a tux rental if he wore his dress blues which would easily cover the cost of beer, rubbers for after reception, Uber and maybe a wedding gift.

They didn't bring up wedding etiquette in boot camp a single time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 11:28 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Only a groom should be allowed to wear military dress uniform at a wedding. That being said, this woman showed her true colors by kicking him out. She is not the kind of woman I would ever consider marrying.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:28 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The dress code was black tie optional -- which would suggest guests were invited to wear formal/tuxedo attire.
On that basis--that black tie was suggested in the invitations--then the Marine was not out of line.

Of course, even though most people aren't ready for Marine Corps mess dress, ejecting the Marine from the wedding was poor form.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:30 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
If this is true, the bride was a self-centered b*tch, imo.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:33 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Another Bridezilla who needs her a** kicked, full dress military uniform is the appropriate attire for what can be a formal/black tie affair....

Old 03-28-2019, 11:33 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Only a groom should be allowed to wear military dress uniform at a wedding. That being said, this woman showed her true colors by kicking him out. She is not the kind of woman I would ever consider marrying.
I've been invited to more than 1 wedding of a Marine buddy and we were asked to wear our dress blues, it all depends on the nature of the event and the people getting married.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:42 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Another Bridezilla who needs her a** kicked, full dress military uniform is the appropriate attire for what can be a formal/black tie affair....
Yep.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:44 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I've been invited to more than 1 wedding of a Marine buddy and we were asked to wear our dress blues, it all depends on the nature of the event and the people getting married.
Obviously if you are asked to wear them then it's OK.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:45 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Probably to get thanked ad nauseam for "his service"
Please list your life accomplishments and a pic so we can see if you've ever been worthy of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies