Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 05:53 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,699,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I'd like people who are convinced there is no discrimination explain the above to me.

I think there really is a certain degree of discrimination, and this story is just one example of it. Yes, there are some African Americans who commit acts of crime, but to paint all of them with the same brush is simply wrong. Do we do the same thing to us whites because some of us are doing illegal things ?

I am glad to see the ACLU involved. This was just wrong, and the police response to his complaint was tainted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 06:02 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I'd like people who are convinced there is no discrimination explain the above to me.
I'd like people who are convinced there is a lot of discrimination explain to me what you call it when it happens to whites. Oh that's right the race baiting media and their bots don't publicize it when it happens to whites.

Overall I have a very low opinion of law enforcement. However, they are not racist.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 03-29-2019 at 06:12 AM..

Old 03-29-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Reminds me (in reverse) of when a delivery van pulled up to my neighbors house. I thought they were delivering something. I did not call the police. They took lots of things.

I would suspect the police handcuffed him because a concerned neighbor called the police.
Police don't get to handcuff someone because someone said. To even have that thought process is despicable.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:05 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
meh, my grandson was handcuffed and detained for a crack in his tail light. Given a ticket for no insurance although he had proof of insurance and a ticket for revoked license although he had a valid drivers license. He is white.

I have been stopped several times "driving while WHITE" through poor black known to be high in drug dealings neighborhoods

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Never should you have to prove yourself innocent before the cops have determined you are guilty. Especially in this case. Do your job. Watch him. He was placing things IN the house. So what if it was stolen, it's going IN the house, it's not going anywhere.

Wear your body camera. You have the guy on camera. You have fingerprints everywhere. Yes, I am OK with the guy running and the cops then having to track him down as opposed to handcuffing an innocent man.
I think you missed my post where I disagree with his being handcuffed. I’m okay with them asking if everything is okay and knew there are a few here who would disagree with that opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
There is so much discrimination in this country that I wonder at times if it was worse than it was in the 1960s for some issues.
I know an uninformed person who creates drama where none exists, that thinks the same way. No one listens to that person anymore.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
not much of a story, factually, to go on.

What time is "late at night"?
Any recent reports/Ring Video of crime that may have matched this scenario?
Did he own or rent? DId he have access to any deed/lease during this time?
Plus was there any type of physical or verbal threat towards the police. Cameras should be mandatory. Most of the time the police are exonerated because of the camera.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The cops were most likely responding to a neighbor’s complaint as he was moving at 2:30 A.M. I have no problem with police checking on the situation but not handcuffing him for eight minutes. According to this article I found, it could appear the police are harassing him.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...228222764.html

" but not handcuffing him for eight minutes."

It is common practice today for the police to "detain" you with cuffs until they can figure out what is happening. Especially at 2 AM.

The cops do NOT KNOW if you are an ARMED burglar or not. For their saftey they detain you.

8 minutes, oh my GOD the world is coming to an end!

Watch Live PD and you will see it a LOT.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
This article has body cam video from the incident. The officer was polite but I still don’t think he needed to handcuff the homeowner. I feel sorry for the guy, moving in by himself at 2:30 am, he looks tired.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...219422675.html

" I still don’t think he needed to handcuff the homeowner."

Suppose he was NOT the home owner but an ARMED burglar?

Old 03-29-2019, 06:16 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
Titles are misleading. "Handcuffed for 8 minutes!" No, police followed up or came across an odd scene of someone moving items into/out of a house late night/early morning when these types of activities (moving) do not normally take place. They pull up, question, and are supposed to be on their way? Unfortunately they need some kind of proof that this person is the owner and get things settled. So they "DETAIN" until they get the story straight. Were they supposed to just act on good faith and let him stand around, continuing moving items, or go to the local coffee shop and wait around for an answer?

All of those alternative scenarios could end badly and the police just don't know who you are. It's for their safety, and yours. A few simple minutes and the situation was cleared up and everyone went about their day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies