Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 09:28 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Sounds like they need to live within their means and shack up with other seniors to share expenses.
They should have been more responsible and saved enough money for retirement.
And do you feel that the mothers on welfare should have been more responsible, and now they should be shacking up with other mothers to share expenses?

Old 04-01-2019, 09:46 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post

Let the argument commence:

It is all relative in the end. Raise minimum wage, hours will be cut back, benefits will be cut back, prices will increase, etc.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:00 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
It is all relative in the end. Raise minimum wage, hours will be cut back, benefits will be cut back, prices will increase, etc.
Funny, because that hasn't been happening here, and our minimum wage has gone up every year since 2007

Old 04-01-2019, 10:17 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The fact that this is even under discussion...as if it is a decent amount of money...proves, beyond any doubt, how brainwashed all Americans have become.

Consider these two facts. I lived in Middle TN in a rural low-wage area in the early 1970s.

1. My first job was temp labor in Nashville with "Manpower" - the lowest form of day labor. I made between $3.20 and $3.60 per hour.

2. My next job was unskilled labor on a house framing crew. I did learn to hammer a nail straight in, but I was low man on the job. $5. per hour.

Taking the Inflation Calculator.....
https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

My unskilled work was from $16.41 to $25.64 FOR UNSKILLED OR LOW SKILLED WORK.

Fast forward an entire lifetime. US Productivity has doubled...in fact, it's nearly tripled since the 1960's.

Yet, pay is less? And you and others talk about $15 as if it is something that you have to work UP to? And that $15 an hour is going to kill grandma and hurt the poor and ruin the NYC economy?

Have we all gone mad?

Why didn't those wages I was being paid during Nixon's time ruin the country?

I would ask people reading this to think about it - but, honestly, I think the brainwashing and the crumbs being handed out have sunk in deep and people will still be saying in another decade that $10 an hour is too much to say.

The "owners" are so pleased that all of you have gotten accustomed to the thumbscrews they have been slowly tightening. In fact, people now think it is their own fault...or the fault of the poor people...or Mexicans or ANYONE ELSE other than their own government officials, themselves and the corporations that own all of them.

Believe me, those "business people" in Florida and Texas love their migrant labor...which is why they won't go e-Verify, because - you see - it's a perfect part of the plan. It keeps the wages low. An "import" will work for $12 or $15 or $20 (skilled job) and up and work hard and honestly...in most cases, better than their American counterpart. So why should those Corporations and Business people pay more than min. wage?

Oh, both FL and TX have very low minimum wage...for that very reason.
So the left all of a sudden wants a border wall/ E verify? That's hilarious. How about DL verification to vote? That's even more comedy.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:38 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Doubling wages for all our unskilled labor (essentially bringing HHI up to $60,000 for couples) will of course drive costs of products and services up - from a weekly outing to Golden Corral, to buying new socks at Walmart, to apartment rents, to the price of ground chuck at Cheapo Groceries around the corner - used by our elderly on modest, fixed incomes.

Any consideration for them? Many of them have trouble putting food on the table as it is. The average SS check is something like $1200 a month, and other than public employees, older people have no pensions.

I say we should divert the billions it is costing us to provide for illegal immigrants and give it to the old folks, and hold the minimum wage hike to $10 an hour. If that's not enough, these low earners can get a fully-paid vocational training program via Pell Grants and learn a marketable skill.

Let the argument commence:
Yes I agree, it will be yet another consequences.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:40 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So the left all of a sudden wants a border wall/ E verify? That's hilarious. How about DL verification to vote? That's even more comedy.
I think the left has been pretty consistent about supporting E-Verify. With crimes of illegal labor it takes two to tango. Seldom are both partners held equally accountable in its commission, but you already know that. Why else has the Republican establishment been so opposed to its implementation? The whole "law and order" thing goes out the window if it looks like it's your wallet that will take a hit.

Ask Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, Indiana and a host of red states why they only mandate it for state business and not private employers. Follow the money.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:05 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Yes, SS, SSDI and SSI benefits are a disgrace. Time to support the elderly and the disabled by boosting those programs so they can live with some more dignity.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:00 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ah, so I am "the left" and you know what I want or desire about all the 10's of thousands of potential government actions?

And that somehow negates that Republicans in Texas and Florida (two VERY big migrant labor states) do?

That's your first mistake. I'm watching the FL. legislator right now BURY the E-verify law. But is Hate Radio and State TV telling the likes of you to call your Rep, the WH, etc. to not let this happen????

Of course not. That's how the game works. They have you out there pumping for a low min. wage.

Oh, I didn't see you address the actual issue. Could you please comment on why I was getting paid $25 a hour (equiv) in low wage TN for unskilled labor.....and yet we can't afford that today?

Old 04-02-2019, 08:08 AM

2,106 posts, read 979,087 times
SS was never intended for living on, its suppose to be a supplementary Income , doesn’t usualy work that way I know , but thats what it was intended for .

Old 04-02-2019, 08:33 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
My point is.....half of all elderly are living cut to the bone as it is. They are living in rundown apartments, often not having enough for adequate food, and look twice at every nickel before they spend it. They will take two buses and walk six blocks rather than spend $6 on a cab. How much more should they cut?

(PLenty of the people in my grandmother's building were poor immigrants - who came in LEGALLY 60 years earlier - and were living hand to mouth. I just don't get why liberals care so much more about illegal aliens than elderly citizens who have paid their dues.)
You know it's to import votes. You can see all the clips of Democrats claiming we can't let all the illegals in as recently as Obama. Somewhere along the line, they figured out that's they only shot they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies