Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 12:31 PM

10,536 posts, read 6,175,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
11/11

Anybody educated in the US who doesn't get at least a score of 10 should seriously consider the possibility of a learning disability. I'm not being snarky. I'm genuinely alarmed that these grade 3 level questions would trip any adult up. Not only would people's lives improve on an individual level if they sought help for their learning disabilities, societal progress and well-being would skyrocket.

You are missing the point. The questions are far more about knowledge than they are about ability, though obviously there is also a level of application required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 12:45 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,388,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
They want the range.

There's nothing wrong with the question. It's clear what they are asking. The question is asking for the greatest range of temperatures ie the greatest difference between the lowest to the highest temperature over the course of a year.

The statement is telling you that you are looking the average monthly temperatures over the course of one year. They are looking at one year.
Good catch. But I have another problem.

I was wrong but then it's still only half right. I thought that was a 30-year-average chart. You are correct, it is one year.

However, they want the range of averages when the question specifically asks which city has the greatest annual range of temperatures?

Range of averages is different from range of raw temperatures.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:56 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,149,616 times
Quote:
You are missing the point. The questions are far more about knowledge than they are about ability, though obviously there is also a level of application required.
Absolutely. But this is knowledge that should have been acquired by anybody who went through the education system in a developed country -- and it's knowledge that is often referred to throughout daily life (for example, the importance of not excessively and/or incorrectly using antibiotics).

In other words, I suspect those who failed this test simply never managed to properly learn the information in the first place, or they have memory problems.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:04 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,405,336 times
Well, a Black person who has a Ph.D in Archaeology knows more about that science field than me (a White guy).

Old 04-03-2019, 01:06 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,718,305 times
Quote:
Just because you find one question simple, that does not mean you would necessarily find the other questions simple. The questions are on all sorts of topics such as disease, deforestation, antibiotics etc.

Curiosity?
I don't know, it's up to you whether you take the test or not.
It's just odd to me that the test is there, it's free so why wouldn't you? Most people have at least a vague curiosity about these things.

Anyway, as I said, up to you.

One of the main reasons that I am not curious is due to the person who posted it. If you want me to be interested in a link, have a person that I find credible and interesting post the link. I am not going to participate in an experiment from a poster who routinely seeks to propagandize the notion of black racial inferiority.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Good catch. But I have another problem.

I was wrong but then it's still only half right. I thought that was a 30-year-average chart. You are correct, it is one year.

However, they want the range of averages when the question specifically asks which city has the greatest annual range of temperatures?

Range of averages is different from range of raw temperatures.
From the report:
Quote:
These graphs show the monthly precipitation and average temperature for three cities in the United States over the course of one year. Based on the graphs, which city has the greatest annual range of temperatures?
The graphs show the range of average temperatures per month (monthly) over a year ie the mean average temperatures for each month. The temperature will have been taken every day, not just once per month giving you that months average temperature.

The question then asks about the range over a year.
I think also you may be taking the word 'annual' in the wrong context.
It's one year's annual range in the same context of say an 'annual report' for any other subject. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what happens in other years.

Each graph shows the range of temperatures over a year happening in one city at a glance. That's what is meant by the 'average range', seen in graph form rather than just numbers.

Last edited by Cruithne; 04-03-2019 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-03-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
One of the main reasons that I am not curious is due to the person who posted it. If you want me to be interested in a link, have a person that I find credible and interesting post the link. I am not going to participate in an experiment from a poster who routinely seeks to propagandize the notion of black racial inferiority.

Can't do that for you sorry.

The Pew report has no relationship with the poster.

Last edited by Cruithne; 04-03-2019 at 01:37 PM..

Old 04-03-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Absolutely. But this is knowledge that should have been acquired by anybody who went through the education system in a developed country -- and it's knowledge that is often referred to throughout daily life (for example, the importance of not excessively and/or incorrectly using antibiotics).

In other words, I suspect those who failed this test simply never managed to properly learn the information in the first place, or they have memory problems.

'Should have been acquired' in an ideal world. We don't live in an ideal world or anything like an equal society.

'Lack of knowledge' does not necessarily equate to 'learning disability'.

You can be the smartest kid on the planet. That's not going to help you if you have not been provided with all the necessarily knowledge required to apply it.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:13 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,368,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
When we saw that most Americans can't place Iraq, Syria or Afghanistan on a globe...I sorta gave up on "The American People"....

What percentage of white evangelicals don't believe in evolution?

"Nearly all (around 97%) of the scientific community accepts evolution as the dominant scientific theory of biological diversity."

Young Earth (less than 10K years) belief:

"Attend Church Weekly 69%"

Wow...think about that. Almost 70% believe that.....
Oh gawd. Don't get me started on the mindboggling ignorance of Americans (aggregately, of any background) on basic geography...

Old 04-03-2019, 03:15 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,368,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Exactly. The OP has an agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies