Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 09:11 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Politics has replaced religion in many people's lives. Religion was useful in that it allowed people to be tribal in a largely theoretical domain. Sure, there were always elements of theocracy, but in the US at least these weakened as a place became more diverse.

Politics, on the other hand, is very powerful in the here and now. And now it's infused with religious fervor. Yuck!

We need religion to make a comeback so that people put their negative energies there. Jehovah, Allah, Buddha, Gaia, Sinatra... I don't care who you worship.

I just want the zealots out of public affairs.
Politics is the new religion. It is the largest growing and has replaced all others. Where have you been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 09:15 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times
Quote:
Politics has replaced religion...

We need religion to make a comeback so that people put their negative energies there. Jehovah, Allah, Buddha, Gaia, Sinatra... I don't care who you worship.

Amen, brother!!

Old 04-03-2019, 03:34 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
A large part of the problem is that the religious are still messing around in our politics, and making policy that serves their lord and master for the whole country.
Serious question, why aren't you guys in favor of secession/separation? And if you are, can you explain?

Old 04-03-2019, 04:35 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,737 times
I’m not in favor of separation because there’s too much spread of people with varying beliefs.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:40 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times
Quote:
Politics has replaced religion in many people's lives. Religion was useful in that it allowed people to be tribal in a largely theoretical domain. Sure, there were always elements of theocracy, but in the US at least these weakened as a place became more diverse.

Politics, on the other hand, is very powerful in the here and now. And now it's infused with religious fervor. Yuck!

GOP needs to stop the Rat F######.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:09 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,393,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It will happen eventually anyhow. The younger generation is a lot less religious, and a lot more secular. The older religious crowd will die off and a new secular crowd will take over. Things change.
We need the political "religion" of MARXISM to DIE OFF!!!

Old 04-03-2019, 05:58 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:47 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,567,820 times
People have it too easy these days. Too many people out there not doing anything but being a keyboard warrior and looking for ways to be offended. Next big fiscal crisis should clean out a lot of the nonsense and bloat. When people are losing jobs and the keyboard warriors are worried about what gender pronouns are being used.......

Old 04-03-2019, 06:50 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
With both parties run by their respective crazies, this will not happen in the 2 party system. The 2 parties spend a fair amount of effort making sure they keep their stranglehold on the US.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:11 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The problem isn't with religion itself. The problem is that a certain segment has misused religion as a political weapon which, ironically, ends up being doing a disservice to both religion and politics.

So how would this look? People could only live in place based on their political beliefs so that one state would be 100% liberal and one would be 100% conservative? I'm just trying to understand what this proposal would look like.
Guess us centrists would have to live on a bridge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies