Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 04:25 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Well, there's life and then there's viable life.

I notice christians tend to ignore a passage in Genesis 2:8

"then the Yahweh elohim formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature."

So, when are you alive?

When you can breathe.

With current technology, a child with 22 weeks gestation may survive. Or not.

It's not simply a toss-up. 90% of them die, and the 10% who live, struggle for the rest of their lives, with most being on Oxygen, since they don't have the lung capacity.

Actually, I misspoke. Instead of saying current technology, I should have said the technology, because there is no future technology forthcoming.

The issue is the lungs.

A child born prematurely at 22 weeks gestation doesn't have developed lungs. The focus is on keeping the child alive long enough in the hope --- against hope -- that the lungs will develop, but that rarely happens, and when it does, the child struggles the rest of their life, because the lungs don't develop properly outside the womb.

The only possible technological solution would be a fetal lung transplant, but that would require fetal lungs from a dead child at least 32 weeks along for transplant.

Anyway, claiming life starts at conception, or with a detectable heartbeat is contrary to god's own words.
So you believe life exists if a human being can breathe on their own.

Know how many people need ventilators? I guess they aren't viable and should be killed, according to your logic.

PS. I'm not religious so the Bible stuff is no argument. And you've misinterpreted it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 06:38 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
So if a pregnant woman has an abortion, where does the baby go?

Fact: No one has the right to kill someone else just because they feel like it.
Then I hope you have practiced what you preach because some women sure don't:

Excerpt from: THE PRO-CHOICE ACTION NETWORK
"I have done several abortions on women who have regularly picketed my clinics, including a 16 year old schoolgirl who came back to picket the day after her abortion, about three years ago. During her whole stay at the clinic, we felt that she was not quite right, but there were no real warning bells. She insisted that the abortion was her idea and assured us that all was OK. She went through the procedure very smoothly and was discharged with no problems. A quite routine operation. Next morning she was with her mother and several school mates in front of the clinic with the usual anti posters and chants. It appears that she got the abortion she needed and still displayed the appropriate anti views expected of her by her parents, teachers, and peers."

Old 04-11-2019, 11:00 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
So if a pregnant woman has an abortion, where does the baby go?

Fact: No one has the right to kill someone else just because they feel like it.
What baby?

If I do not want to risk my health and my life to carry a pregnancy I have every right to terminate it.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then I hope you have practiced what you preach because some women sure don't:

Excerpt from: THE PRO-CHOICE ACTION NETWORK
"I have done several abortions on women who have regularly picketed my clinics, including a 16 year old schoolgirl who came back to picket the day after her abortion, about three years ago. During her whole stay at the clinic, we felt that she was not quite right, but there were no real warning bells. She insisted that the abortion was her idea and assured us that all was OK. She went through the procedure very smoothly and was discharged with no problems. A quite routine operation. Next morning she was with her mother and several school mates in front of the clinic with the usual anti posters and chants. It appears that she got the abortion she needed and still displayed the appropriate anti views expected of her by her parents, teachers, and peers."
Some people are liars. This is news to you? Don't get out much I guess.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
So you believe life exists if a human being can breathe on their own.

Know how many people need ventilators? I guess they aren't viable and should be killed, according to your logic.

PS. I'm not religious so the Bible stuff is no argument. And you've misinterpreted it anyway.
Nice Straw Man.

In case you hadn't noticed, this thread is not about people who were born, it's about unborn children still in the womb.

The central issue is when does the fetus become "alive."

I have always argued it's when the fetus becomes sentient, which is about 24 weeks or so.

I was merely commenting on the viability of a fetus in vivo, which isn't possible for the reasons I stated.

Regarding people on ventilators, they may be alive, but they're not living, since most on ventilators are in a coma or brain dead.

I'm an Atheist, but the text I quoted was not misinterpreted in spite of your claims.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Nice Straw Man.

In case you hadn't noticed, this thread is not about people who were born, it's about unborn children still in the womb.

The central issue is when does the fetus become "alive."

I have always argued it's when the fetus becomes sentient, which is about 24 weeks or so.

I was merely commenting on the viability of a fetus in vivo, which isn't possible for the reasons I stated.

Regarding people on ventilators, they may be alive, but they're not living, since most on ventilators are in a coma or brain dead.

I'm an Atheist, but the text I quoted was not misinterpreted in spite of your claims.
It's not a strawman. You said viable meant able to breathe 100% on his or her own.

I guess you think all cardiac bypass patients should be killed. They are on ventilators. people with pneumonia, COPD, ALS, MS, 1400 other diseases .... lots of reasons to be on a ventilator.

Maybe suggest all healthcare facilities get rid of them?

I am not religious, and yes, you misinterpreted it completely. But that's OK.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:12 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
No kidding......LOL, the irony.

All of the blatant lies spouted by pro-lifers in these kinds of threads is proof of that.

Lies that anyone who is on the fence will uncover after a little bit of research.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:39 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Well, good lord, how do I know you wouldn't go get an abortion, if the tables got turned on you and you found yourself pregnant? There is so much damned hypocrisy and double standards in this world, I wouldn't be surprised in the least, if you would get an abortion.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, good lord, how do I know you wouldn't go get an abortion, if the tables got turned on you and you found yourself pregnant? There is so much damned hypocrisy and double standards in this world, I wouldn't be surprised in the least, if you would get an abortion.
You are using one example of a liar for what good?

I mean there are tons of women out there with kids who are absolutely pro abortion. I guess they are liars too. I mean they had kids, so they can't be for abortion. Otherwis they'd get the punchcard at PP, have 5 abortions get 1 free.

Special kinda crazy rearing up today.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
No kidding......LOL, the irony.

All of the blatant lies spouted by pro-lifers in these kinds of threads is proof of that.

Lies that anyone who is on the fence will uncover after a little bit of research.
You can see at any proabortion march: women with kids.

What liars. They should've had abortions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies