Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 03:23 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,655,607 times

Advertisements

Link:https://www.census.gov/dataviz/visua...-2015_-858.gif

If Trump manages to repeal Obamacare expect the US to go back to the 2009 map again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 03:29 AM

18,474 posts, read 7,131,787 times
Considering that most people get their health insurance through their work, and that unemployment is way down since 2009.....

I'd be very skeptical that these changes, if accurate......have anything to do with Obamacare.

Also notice it doesn't say anything about heath care costs.

Because what good is health insurance if your premiums and deductibles are so high that you cannot afford to actually use it?

Old 04-04-2019, 03:40 AM

754 posts, read 488,153 times
Uninsured rate has gone back up.

Gallup reports the uninsured rate has risen from 10.9% to 13.7% in the past 2 years (the historical norms pre Obamacare were 13-15%)

https://news.gallup.com/poll/246134/...year-high.aspx

The CDC however which is what the government uses, claims the uninsured rate has risen from 8.8% to 9.2%. Much smaller.

https://www.aha.org/news/headline/20...-9-months-2018

This is before the repeal of the individual mandate due to start this year remember.

Whatever measure you use the uninsured rate very likely is going back up, as I say prior to Obamacare the uninsured rate was typically around 13-15%, so we're essentially inching towards those numbers once again.

Somewhere between 2-5 million have lost their health insurance since Trump came to office. That 15-20 million gain Obama made is slowly being wiped away.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:46 AM

18,474 posts, read 7,131,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post
Uninsured rate has gone back up.

Gallup reports the uninsured rate has risen from 10.9% to 13.7% in the past 2 years (the historical norms pre Obamacare were 13-15%)

https://news.gallup.com/poll/246134/...year-high.aspx

The CDC however which is what the government uses, claims the uninsured rate has risen from 8.8% to 9.2%. Much smaller.

https://www.aha.org/news/headline/20...-9-months-2018

This is before the repeal of the individual mandate due to start this year.

Whatever measure you use the uninsured rate very likely is going back up, as I say prior to Obamacare the uninsured rate was typically around 13-15%, so we're essentially inching towards those numbers once again.

Somewhere between 2-5 million have lost their health insurance since Trump came to office. That 15-20 million gain Obama made is slowly being eradicated.

There will always be a certain percentage of young and healthy people who don't want to spend the money on health insurance if they aren't forced to.

Removal of the mandate means that they will once again account for a large part of the uninsured.

The fact that this will be entirely voluntary on their part is something that the pro ACA types conveniently don't want to acknowledge.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:51 AM

19,385 posts, read 6,539,794 times
The other problem with that chart is how they count the "insured." A more accurate telling would be how many people have insurance CARDS.

For example, I previously had good coverage at affordable rates. Now with Obamacare, I have a very limited narrow of doctors, which require me to pay cash for services. The deductible for in-network is almost $7,000, and the separate deductible for out-of-network (which I must go to since doctors are so limited) is almost $14,000. Adding in the nearly $10,000 a year in premiums, this "insured Obamacare person" is liable for $30,000 (in a bad year).

Sorry, but someone who could be on the hook for $30,000 a year - or about half the take home pay - is NOT really insurance. It's a catastrophic plan - with gold premiums.

Obama threw the hard-working middle class to the wolves, while giving full coverage for every little sneeze to the lower-income.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:24 AM

21,380 posts, read 7,996,882 times
People still do not understand that healthcare insurance is NOT the same as healthcare.

One can have insurance and still not afford to go to the doctor.

One can be without insurance and be able to afford going to the doctor.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:31 AM

30,756 posts, read 19,415,063 times
Obama care or The Unaffordable and i don't care act was a tax scheme that included a requirement that everyone buy insurance so not surprising that it lowered the uninsured number. It was a failure because it didn't address the problem of the current system of too much cost. Everyone in my family was worse off from Obamacare.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:47 AM

40,996 posts, read 49,376,729 times
One of the big groups who takes advantage of Obamacare are wealthy Boomers who are retiring before 65 and need insurance.

They can have Millions in the bank but because the no long have income qualify for Govt Subsidies and cheap insurance that you and I pay for.

Lot of very wealthy people now qualify for subsidized Insurance. That's just wrong.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,884,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Obama care or The Unaffordable and i don't care act was a tax scheme that included a requirement that everyone buy insurance so not surprising that it lowered the uninsured number. It was a failure because it didn't address the problem of the current system of too much cost. Everyone in my family was worse off from Obamacare.
Do you expect the federal government to control prices within the private sector?

Congress determines reimbursement rates paid by Medicare. No medical practice is forced to accept Medicare reimbursement. While most do, most also limit the number of Medicare enrollees they will accept as patients.

Do you favor the federal government capping wages, benefits and profits within the private sector?

Congress determines Medicare’s authority to negotiate prescription meds. Thus far, Congress has chosen not to do so.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:11 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,102,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The other problem with that chart is how they count the "insured." A more accurate telling would be how many people have insurance CARDS.

For example, I previously had good coverage at affordable rates. Now with Obamacare, I have a very limited narrow of doctors, which require me to pay cash for services. The deductible for in-network is almost $7,000, and the separate deductible for out-of-network (which I must go to since doctors are so limited) is almost $14,000. Adding in the nearly $10,000 a year in premiums, this "insured Obamacare person" is liable for $30,000 (in a bad year).

Sorry, but someone who could be on the hook for $30,000 a year - or about half the take home pay - is NOT really insurance. It's a catastrophic plan - with gold premiums.

Obama threw the hard-working middle class to the wolves, while giving full coverage for every little sneeze to the lower-income.
again not true.first of allthe correct term is A.C.A.,2.rates vary state to state and vary according to plans available (a state problem)3.without aca those with preexisting conditions would be refused insurance4.the bones of this plan has a Republican base.4.not only is that last sentence false but cruel and disdainful to the working poor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies