Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2019, 09:32 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
One of the things I find most amusing about atheists is that they incorporate the fundamentalist, literalist interpretation of the Bible when it is clear to most without an agenda that the Bible is full of allegories and figurative stories to convey various teachings.

Unfortunately, while the fundamentalists really believe in a literal interpretation, atheists employ a literal interpretation only because it's advantageous in advancing their belief system.

Again, I spent most of my life as an agnostic/atheist. I've gone over every single argument you will even consider presenting and many more. It's a philosophical dead end.
I find it funny how believers ignore what the bible really says. As mentioned earlier there is a reason when people actually read it they become atheists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Your words: "Of course there is more crime and everything today because there are MORE people today. It is that simple."
Again I was replying to the comments made by oldglory. Funny how you keep ignoring that. I get the feeling you are just trolling everyone here

Old 04-07-2019, 09:38 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
Quote:
One of the things I find most amusing about atheists is that they incorporate the fundamentalist, literalist interpretation of the Bible when it is clear to most without an agenda that the Bible is full of allegories and figurative stories to convey various teachings.

Unfortunately, while the fundamentalists really believe in a literal interpretation, atheists employ a literal interpretation only because it's advantageous in advancing their belief system.

Again, I spent most of my life as an agnostic/atheist. I've gone over every single argument you will even consider presenting and many more. It's a philosophical dead end.
Do you believe the resurrection was metaphorical? How do you detect literal truth from mere metaphor when reading the Bible?

If the Bible isn't inerrant, then truth becomes the property of the interpreter of the Bible, and the interpreter makes himself into God.

Interpretations change over time and vary widely depending on the interpreter, so it's not as if the Bible is so crystal clear that the truth is evident. In fact the Bible is contradictory.

Even if the sayings and beliefs attributed to Jesus in the Gospels accurately depict Jesus' life, I don't find anything in them that could not have been conceived by any other first century AD preacher. His proclamations are not that Earth-shattering. And the early disciples believed that Jesus predicted the imminent end of the world. And here we still are.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:48 AM

2,448 posts, read 894,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
I find it funny how believers ignore what the bible really says. As mentioned earlier there is a reason when people actually read it they become atheists
They aren't ignoring it. They're interpreting it. Do you read literature in the same fashion? Literal and concrete-bound?

You've presented zero evidence that the more people read the Bible, the more likely they are to become atheists? From where did you get that idea? In all likelihood, like me in the past, you don't read the Bible and reading the Bible wasn't the reason you rejected Christianity.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
They aren't ignoring it. They're interpreting it. Do you read literature in the same fashion? Literal and concrete-bound?

You've presented zero evidence that the more people read the Bible, the more likely they are to become atheists? From where did you get that idea? In all likelihood, like me in the past, you don't read the Bible and reading the Bible wasn't the reason you rejected Christianity.
I did but like everything else I have said you ignored it.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Again I was replying to the comments made by oldglory. Funny how you keep ignoring that. I get the feeling you are just trolling everyone here
To whom you were replying has no bearing on the statement you made, or are you saying you were being sarcastic when you stated that crime has gone up and that it's due to population growth? How would it change anything if it was directed at me or anyone else instead of OldGlory?

Old 04-07-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
To whom you were replying has no bearing on the statement you made, or are you saying you were being sarcastic when you stated that crime has gone up and that it's due to population growth? How would it change anything if it was directed at me or anyone else instead of OldGlory?
As I have said many times now it would be nice if you actually read the things being said. This entire thread is that BELIEVERS are making the claim that things like crime are worse as people no longer believe in god. So your problem is with THEM as I am NOT a believer. Wow is that finally clear enough for you???

Old 04-07-2019, 09:54 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times
Just because you are religious does not make you a better human being. Sadly as we have seen thru history and even today, some of the most hateful acts against humanity are hidden and carried out by so called Religious people.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Just because you are religious does not make you a better human being. Sadly as we have seen thru history and even today, some of the most hateful acts against humanity are hidden and carried out by so called Religious people.
Sad but so true.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Do you believe the resurrection was metaphorical? How do you detect literal truth from mere metaphor when reading the Bible?

If the Bible isn't inerrant, then truth becomes the property of the interpreter of the Bible, and the interpreter makes himself into God.

Interpretations change over time and vary widely depending on the interpreter, so it's not as if the Bible is so crystal clear that the truth is evident. In fact the Bible is contradictory.

Even if the sayings and beliefs attributed to Jesus in the Gospels accurately depict Jesus' life, I don't find anything in them that could not have been conceived by any other first century AD preacher. His proclamations are not that Earth-shattering. And the early disciples believed that Jesus predicted the imminent end of the world. And here we still are.
Context, which in this respect, is no different than any other literary work. This is what theologians do. There are points at which it is clearly explicit in its commandments. There are others where there are clearly metaphors and allegories at work. Have you ever noticed that the writing that generally provokes deeper thought within you are those works that use figurative language rather than writing that is akin to reading an instruction manual for your latest appliance? I can agree that the Bible appears contradictory and I can also agree that at many points it is not "crystal clear." I believe that is what gives it so much meaning, in the same way we commonly find much more meaning in books and films that are not concrete-bound, "crystal clear" in meaning.

You're quite incorrect about Jesus of Nazareth's teaching being something ordinary at that time. He advanced radical concepts which, of course, provoked so much hatred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies