Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider healthcare as a right for every citizen a far left position?
Yes, this is far left and extremism 114 42.07%
No, healthcare should be a right, not a privilege 157 57.93%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 07:40 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,710,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
This is actually not true. You can have a right to something the government provides for you. There's Constitutional Rights like that.
Nope... That would be privilege, not a right.
Your rights don't come from your MASTER.

If your Master can give... Your Master can take it away.

Government is not to provide, it is suppose to promote.

Last edited by BentBow; 04-07-2019 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 07:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,380,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
I consider it an overly authoritarian position antithetical to freedom. No one has the right to the labor of another.
So if you come down with a medical catasrophe that could potentially cost 100s of K dollars you will fall on your petard and die before accepting help you cant afford?
https://www.google.ca/search?source=...21.QC06lQMawEE

Old 04-07-2019, 07:51 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,523,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So if you come down with a medical catasrophe that could potentially cost 100s of K dollars you will fall on your petard and die before accepting help you cant afford?
No. You could always buy a catastrophic plan to avoid that. And if you're really poor, you get Medicaid.

Catastrophic plans were cheap before Obamacare ruled that illegal for those over 30. I believe Trump wants to go back to having that as an option, as well it should be. THAT is what insurance is really supposed to be for - not a pre-paid health plan (courtesy of other taxpayers) that covers every little cough and sniffle.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The nation created under the Laws of Nature, where only the strong survive.
The ONLY reason the USA became the most powerful nation with the most wealth and prosperity in the world, in less than 50 years, after kicking the crap out of the world most powerful army and navy.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:54 AM

42,867 posts, read 26,366,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I am skeptical of any positive right when it interferes with the passive rights of another.
huh?

Old 04-07-2019, 07:54 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,918,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I don't think it is a "right", but I am a physician who supports a single payer system. I am also a conservative.

I really think that the fee for service system is a little too corrupting and I have seen many physicians driven by profit, rather than ethics, guiding their decisions. I would bet that if we were all on a salary, you would see a substantial drop in procedures and surgeries.

4. Allow physicians to stop care when the mortality is 99%. Most of medicare payments occur in patients in their last three months of life. These heroics are a misallocation of resources and make no difference in the end. Unless families want to pony up to keep a corpse around, allow physicians the right to terminate care when there is no hope.
I was told by a head neurologist that my wife was gone as she lay in a vegetative state six days after her heart stopped while undergoing a medical procedure. Two days later she began communicating. Today she remains severely disabled but has learned to walk and talk again. Her executive functions will always be poor but memory is intact.

I immediately got a second opinion the next day. That neurologist stated there was little hope but if it was his loved one he would continue life support for four weeks.

I realize them neurologists are busy but I knew something was still there because when I told her to blink her eyes eight times out of ten she would and when I, in the same tone of voice, gave some nonsensical command she would do it two or three times out of ten. Believe me I did it enough times for it to be statistically significant. The one minute yelling and clapping loudly an inch from their nose and checking the response and determining they are down to simple brain stem functions seems a poor substitute for spending a little more time with the patient. Of course they won’t get less busy with more patients.

Age has to be a factor. If my wife had been 87 instead of 57 I don't think ity would have been worth it to put her through everything she has been through. Of course the neurologist said the fact she was young and healthy before the pneumonia and sepsis is why she is still alive.

Last edited by whogo; 04-07-2019 at 08:25 AM..

Old 04-07-2019, 07:59 AM

42,867 posts, read 26,366,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
we already do, it's called Medicaid
medicaid doesn't cover everyone. In states without expanded medicaid non disabled, non elderly adults without children aren't covered.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:01 AM

When the Church was in control of healthcare, no one was turned away.
The Church may be your savior, once again.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:03 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,995,715 times
I do not see health care as a "right", no more than I believe that if you have three children you have a "right" to a 4 bedroom 3 bath house, or a $3000 per month "Basic Living Stipend", or any kind of insurance.
No person has any "right" to the services of a doctor, nurse, EMT, etc. without compensation for services rendered. Nor is there a "right" to a stay in a hospital, be it a for-profit or not-for-profit establishment, just as you don't have the "right" to the services of a mechanic without paying for them.
No person has a "right" to any kind of insurance, unless somebody else is willing to pay the premiums, and perhaps even the co-pays.

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness"??
Yes, you have a right to Life, within limits imposed by Society. For instance, a fetus has no rights whatsoever. It/he/she can be terminated at any time. If you point a gun at a cop (or an armed citizen), you just might die.

Yes, you have a right to Liberty, within limits imposed by society. For instance, if you live in a home covered by an HOA, your Liberty may be extremely limited. If you enlist in the military, your liberty will be limited.

Yes, you can Pursue Happiness. BUT, there is no guarantee that you will ever catch it.
You can even have the "Happiness of Pursuit", but, again, there is no guarantee that you will catch the object you are pursuing. If you do, you just might find that you really didn't want it after all!
You are born (with any luck), then you die. What happens in between is entirely up to you. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:18 AM

89,201 posts, read 44,965,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
As I said, it would obviously work in practice as education works.

Last I checked, we don't think of teachers as slaves. I'm not sure why you would think of doctors as slaves.
Everyone pays for education, even renters. How would everyone be taxed to pay for health care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies