Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support MGTOW?
Yay 84 58.33%
Nay 60 41.67%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 09:38 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,474 times

Advertisements

Without the internet we wouldn't even know about this. It allows all kinds of unhappy people to congregate and commiserate on their particular situations. I don't see MGTOW any different than other groups of unhappy persons. To complain about it is inane.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:55 AM

20,378 posts, read 14,647,504 times
As a long term participant in the Relationships subforum, I've been familiar with these movements for years. What feminism and MGTOW (and other men's groups) have in common, is that there are some valid and good ideas and points, and then there are a bunch of angry people who feel the world has done them wrong, who kinda "ruin it" for me.

The core notions of feminism such as women being equal human beings, seen as fully PEOPLE the same as men are, and entitled to make choices, not to have our lives confined to some narrow track...reproductive freedoms, for instance, equal pay when equally qualified and employed, universal consent philosophy, just a whole bunch of "all people should have equal human dignity and equal rights" thiking...yeah, I'm on board, that's great. But then you've got women in there who really are antagonistic to men, like that wacko who shot Andy Warhol and wrote a book about her weird ideas...yeah, she was nuts! Some angry, irrational people make a bad name for the group.

Then take the men's groups. I want men to have equal access to reliable, safe, and reversible birth control methods that allow them to control their own reproductive rights the way that women are able to do with hormone products. I want family courts to be equitable and sensible and fair to fathers, and to men in divorces in general. I want men's rights to support when they've been victims of abuse or consent violation, to be taken seriously. I want men's right to deny consent to be taken seriously. I acknowledge that men have certain struggles, and I have compassion for that. And in the case of "MGTOW" in particular, the men there who are simply trying to release themselves from the requirement of partnering and actually find happiness on their own...well anyone should be able to do that! But there are undeniable elements who cast nastiness at women, who are actually quite angry. Some even who have become violently so.

And sadly it is the most extreme and insane who become the faces of a group. Just like in politics.

So when people can rationally discuss ideas and issues, I'm there for that. But rounding it all up and slapping a label on it, and expecting everyone to agree on what that label means...yeah that just doesn't work.

So I cannot vote yes or no on this.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:27 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,367,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

And in the case of "MGTOW" in particular, the men there who are simply trying to release themselves from the requirement of partnering and actually find happiness on their own...well anyone should be able to do that!

I must have missed something .... when was a law passed that said men are required to partner or face the consequences?

Old 04-09-2019, 10:41 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I must have missed something .... when was a law passed that said men are required to partner or face the consequences?
I’m wondering the same thing. Who are these myriad people telling men that it’s not okay to remain uncoupled? If your overbearing mother is bugging you for grandchildren, tell her to mind her own bee’s wax, and leave the rest of us out of it.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:01 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,124,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
No, they are usually divorcee's who feel they've been burned, and take it out an all women and become bitter
You probably hit the nail on the head right there. The guy I know who mentioned this movement to me a year or so ago....divorced prior to getting involved in this MGTOW thing.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
They only blur privates because showing pubic hair is considered taboo in Japan. That was covered on one of those Real Sex epsiodes on HBO years ago
Well that's changed now. Back in the 80'/90's and before, you are correct, they would blur between the legs. However, it's not like that anymore. It wasn't as much "taboo" as it was just respecting where life comes from. My girlfriend while I was living there explained to me that showing it was viewed as disrespecting where life comes from. If you know much about Japanese you will know that they hold great respect for and are very connected to things of nature.

Last edited by FC76-81; 04-09-2019 at 11:18 AM..

Old 04-09-2019, 11:25 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
You probably hit the nail on the head right there. The guy I know who mentioned this movement to me a year or so ago....divorced prior to getting involved in this MGTOW thing.
I think if divorced men want a support group that's fine, but MGTOW tries to convince single men that marriage is bad and they should never do it. They ignore the happily married people or call them liars. They have a slogan something like 'save a male and stop a wedding'. So they are trying to recruit and spread their ideas to boys and young men that relationships are poison, because evil women and unfair society. They don't say "I made mistake X, missed this sign in the relationship so I learned something". Nope. No self reflection there.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:28 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Sounds like a bunch of guys too ugly, too lazy, too broke, too obnoxious, too whatever to get laid. Have at it, boys.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:11 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I was thinking the same.
I dont recall a time when there were not bachelors or that bachelors were seen in a bad light (as opposed to spinster)

Old 04-09-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Sounds like a bunch of guys too ugly, too lazy, too broke, too obnoxious, too whatever to get laid. Have at it, boys.
It's probably not as much being "broke" as it is to why they are "broke". Most women don't mind a guy being broke, just as long as there is a reasonable reason he's broke. Paying bills, getting laid off, some rough times, etc. those seem to be acceptable reasons for most women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies