Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2019, 06:25 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,962,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am proud of vaccinating my sons. My sons continue, as adults, to get any available vaccinations when needed.
Do you believe that others should have a choice? Or do you think you should dictate what choices other people have?

Old 04-17-2019, 06:29 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,819,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter just texted me that one of her friends daughter has just come down with measles. Texted me the 1 year old's picture. Her Mom had recently come to her house to see her Newborn. The baby did not come to her house. Will the Mom and Dad have to be quarantined now? Daughter said her friend had her measles vaccination in childhood; as did my daughter and DIL. She is worried because her friend held her son. Will everyone who has come into contact with the parents, not just the baby, need to be quarantined? Grandma too?

Where did this come from? Friend said that she has heard of Measles Parties in her Queens neighborhood. Granny takes care of the baby while they work, but occasionally babysits other kids in the neighborhood to supplement her Social Security. They think this is how the baby caught measles. Baby was scheduled for her 1 year checkup but Mom postponed it because of another commitment.

Thankfully, this happened now and not 6 weeks earlier because this baby was at DIL's shower. Good 30 people there, including from other states. Her teenage niece flew up from Florida.

Who exactly do they notify, and HOW? Both my daughter and this woman work in Retail. All I told my daughter was don't worry if your friend, you, and your wife were vaccinated, and the baby was not around your son.
Her friend should call the local health department. I’m sure they can advise.

The only reason for your daughter to have any concern is the woman with the infected child held her newborn. She could potentially pass the virus via her hands/clothing if she had been handling her contagious child shortly before her visit. Even so, I would think the risk is very small. The baby will have some immunity passed from mom. It’s thought that protects up until around 6 months.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 04-17-2019 at 07:01 AM..

Old 04-17-2019, 07:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,724,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/16/healt...-bn/index.html

New York has exported measles to Michigan. One man led to a chain of infection of 38 people so far.

"On Tuesday, after the announcement of the new Rockland County measures, Day said that 'we will re-strategize at every opportunity. We cannot afford to wait around for the decision of the court.' He said Rockland County's measles outbreak, which includes contact tracing for each case of infection, costs taxpayer dollars, and the negative attention that comes with media exposure 'will cost us money, also.' He estimates that the county is looking at costs approaching $2 million."

"... Day said ... 'We have had five cases go to the intensive care unit. Need we wait for someone to die?'"
We’ll see more and more of this.

While health officials are claiming that this woman hasn’t spread it to any of her passengers, if I had been on one of her flights, I‘d be concerned.

“An Israeli flight attendant has slipped into a coma after contracting measles, according to health officials.

The 43-year-old woman has encephalitis, or inflammation of the brain, a well-known and potentially deadly complication of the virus. She was otherwise healthy before getting measles.
The flight attendant, who works for El Al, the Israeli national airline, might have contracted the virus in New York, in Israel or on a flight between the two, Grotto said. Health authorities do not believed that she spread the virus to anyone on the flights.”

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/17/healt...ant/index.html

Old 04-17-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter just texted me that one of her friends daughter has just come down with measles. Texted me the 1 year old's picture. Her Mom had recently come to her house to see her Newborn. The baby did not come to her house. Will the Mom and Dad have to be quarantined now? Daughter said her friend had her measles vaccination in childhood; as did my daughter and DIL. She is worried because her friend held her son. Will everyone who has come into contact with the parents, not just the baby, need to be quarantined? Grandma too?

Where did this come from? Friend said that she has heard of Measles Parties in her Queens neighborhood. Granny takes care of the baby while they work, but occasionally babysits other kids in the neighborhood to supplement her Social Security. They think this is how the baby caught measles. Baby was scheduled for her 1 year checkup but Mom postponed it because of another commitment.

Thankfully, this happened now and not 6 weeks earlier because this baby was at DIL's shower. Good 30 people there, including from other states. Her teenage niece flew up from Florida.

Who exactly do they notify, and HOW? Both my daughter and this woman work in Retail. All I told my daughter was don't worry if your friend, you, and your wife were vaccinated, and the baby was not around your son.
She should contact her local health department.

They likely have a phone number or email contact for that purpose.

I hope everyone is okay.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Stop it. She didn't say people weren't afraid of the chicken pox. It's not a "harmless childhood condition". It's a virus. Mild for some people, not so mild for others. That certain people seem to want their children to become ill with a virus, any virus, is a bit strange to me. Fever, misery, itching, scars. And those are the mild/normal symptoms, not the possible complications.
And, as I noted earlier in the thread, it is a virus that stays in the system for life predisposing the carrier to shingles later on.

Odd that any parent knowingly visits that on their child(ren).

Old 04-17-2019, 08:16 AM

37,126 posts, read 41,324,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Because she's claiming the package insert, which is based on multiple clinical trials and approved by the FDA is LYING to doctors and pharmacists. Those side effects listed? Aren't really side effects and are never caused by the vaccine or drug!!!!
No, autism and SIDS are not side effects from clinical trials.

Per the package insert:

""Adverse events reported during post-approval use of Tripedia vaccine include idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, SIDS, anaphylactic reaction, cellulitis, autism, convulsion/grand mal convulsion, encephalopathy, hypotonia, neuropathy, somnolence and apnea. Events were included in this list because of the seriousness or frequency of reporting. Because these events are reported voluntarily from a population of uncertain size, it is not always possible to reliably estimate their frequencies or to establish a causal relationship to components of Tripedia vaccine."

Post approval: not during the manufacturers trial.

Causality not established.

We know from plenty of research that vaccines do not cause autism and may reduce the risk of SIDS.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip Suzy Goalpost. Good to know that according to YOU that the info manufacturers release about the drugs they are promoting is completely false.
No, what it says is true: it is not possible to establish a causal relationship. It says so right there in the insert.

Quote:
Hint it's not. Autism and SIDS were listed on some vaccine package inserts.
The same inserts which say it is not possible to establish a causal relationship.

Quote:
What else do we know? Ah, yes .... vaccine use is supported and encouraged by

the CDC who owns vaccine patents and makes millions off the sales of them
You really need to lay off the anti-vax sites.

https://vaxopedia.org/2018/05/19/doe...s-on-vaccines/

CDC buys vaccines. The US government (that's you and me) has patents on some vaccine technology, but not on any vaccines themselves.

If CDC researchers develop patentable products, why should they not get royalties from them? It means less tax money need to finance its activities.

You need a source (CDC, not NVIC) for the millions claim. Also please tell us what exactly the patents are for.

Quote:
the lobbyists that pay off politicians, there are more pharma lobbyists than politicians, to ensure every vaccine is added to public school requirements
ACIP does not allow lobbying.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/co...dures-ACIP.pdf

"Stringent measures and rigorous screening are used to avoid both real and apparent conflicts of interest, and no special interest or lobbying groups provide any material support to ACIP or its members." ACIP is who determines what vaccines to recommend, not politicians.

Do school boards usually accept the ACIP schedule? Yes, because ACIP members are experts on vaccines.

Quote:
vaccine court which allows pharma manufacturers to get away with no liability for vaccine injury and death, they kill people and meh, no one cares
Deaths are almost vanishingly rare and not due to defects in the vaccine. They are due to adverse reactions because of the individual's personal biology. A vaccine that causes 1 person in a million to have a reaction and not the other 999,999 is not defective, and the maker should not be sued any more than a peanut farmer should be sued for an adverse reaction to peanuts. The vaccine court is there for someone who has an adverse reaction to get financial compensation without having to sue anyone. Someone who disagrees with a vaccine court decision can still sue the maker.

Quote:
health insurance companies are on the bandwagon, paying doctors bonuses if they make sure a percent of their patients are injected
You bet your sweet bippy, but the financial reward is to the insurance company, which saves money because vaccinated children are healthier. Remember the child who recently ran up a hospital bill of close to $1 million for treatment of tetanus? Insurance companies do not like to see preventable diseases like that.

The docs do not actually get very much.

https://vaxopedia.org/2017/09/24/tha...pediatricians/

Quote:
doctors are now refusing to treat unvaxxed patients because it reduces the money they get from the insurers
Why would you want to take your child to a doctor whose advice you do not trust concerning vaccination? How could he possibly be an expert in every other facet of pediatrics, just not vaccines?

Doctors do not want unvaccinated children catching VPDs and giving them to other children in their offices.

Quote:
Lotta money changing hands all over the place. And did you notice? Requirement, mandatory, requirement, mandatory. It's a closed system. Captive consumers. Every year guaranteed clients.
If you do not want to vaccinate, then don't. No one will make you.

Just remember that all those vaccinated kids provide the herd immunity that prevents your unvaccinated kids from getting sick. You might want to stop trying to persuade other people not to vaccinate.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:18 AM

37,126 posts, read 41,324,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And, as I noted earlier in the thread, it is a virus that stays in the system for life predisposing the carrier to shingles later on.

Odd that any parent knowingly visits that on their child(ren).
There is a risk of shingles from the vaccine virus but it is lower than the risk of shingles from the infection. Shingles after the vaccine is commonly due to the wild virus anyway, from a mild infection either before or after the vaccine, so mild it caused no symptoms.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 04-17-2019 at 08:28 AM..

Old 04-17-2019, 08:33 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,819,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you do not want to vaccinate, then don't. No one will make you.

Just remember that all those vaccinated kids provide the herd immunity that prevents your unvaccinated kids from getting sick. You might want to stop trying to persuade other people not to vaccinate.
These 2 statements are why I don’t get the anti vaxxer game plan.

There is no forcible vaccination law. So why get upset?

They should be the biggest proponents of medically eligible folks getting vaccinated. Instead, they’ve spread their unfounded fear far and wide causing vaccine rates to fall and leading to measles outbreaks like the one in NYC. And now they’re upset because their plan worked and public health officials are responding in ways they don’t like. The law of unintended consequences is biting them in the hind quarters.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:37 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,769,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
These 2 statements are why I don’t get the anti vaxxer game plan.

There is no forcible vaccination law. So why get upset?

They should be the biggest proponents of medically eligible folks getting vaccinated. Instead, they’ve spread their unfounded fear far and wide causing vaccine rates to fall and leading to measles outbreaks like the one in NYC. And now they’re upset because their plan worked and public health officials are responding in ways they don’t like. The law of unintended consequences is biting them in the hind quarters.
I think your confusion comes from a lack of understanding of the theory of herd immunity.

People are upset because their kids are at risk of being excluded from schools and society, marginalized, mocked and ridiculed for having legitimate concerns.

There is not another medical product that is quite as untouchable as vaccines. You’re not allowed to even question anything about them without getting attacked, mocked, ridiculed, etc. There’s a lot of misunderstanding. There’s also a lot of propaganda and underhanded tactics involved in the promotion of vaccines and anyone who’s been closely looking at the issue over a long period of time with a critical eye can clearly see this.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:41 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,962,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think your confusion comes from a lack of understanding of the theory of herd immunity.

People are upset because their kids are at risk of being excluded from schools and society, marginalized, mocked and ridiculed for having legitimate concerns.

There is not another medical product that is quite as untouchable as vaccines. You’re not allowed to even question anything about them without getting attacked, mocked, ridiculed, etc. There’s a lot of misunderstanding. There’s also a lot of propaganda and underhanded tactics involved in the promotion of vaccines and anyone who’s been closely looking at the issue over a long period of time with a critical eye can clearly see this.
If people truly believed that vaccines were a personal choice, there would be no need for discussion.

There are people who want choice and people who want no choice (everyone must be vaccinated). I don't know of anyone running around demanded that vaccinations be halted immediately.

Those are the positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.