Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 06:34 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I just want my land back, from my ancestors being put on the Trail of Tears.

Couple of million acres in South Georgia and North Florida.
I don't think it's a good idea for the US government to give land to descendants of the indigenous. That didn't work out too well in the past. They just stole it back.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:41 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Post secondary education in this country needs to be radically reformed.
For 90%+ of students the one and only purpose is to increase their worth for, and increase their earnings from, a future employer. These colleges are walking into the absurd. Not just here, but in many different areas and issues. Enormous waste of money and time.

Maybe I can sue myself for the injustices my English ancestors did to my Scots ancestors in the late 1600s.
The entire education system needs to be reformed. It was hijacked by liberal marxists , along with hollywood and television. I would call them indoctrination centers.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:05 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
People don't want racial socioeconomic inequality repaired, lest they would no longer be able to feel racially "superior".

It's not rocket science. In order for people to feel superior, which is relative, there needs to be a group of people who are seen as inferior. You don't even need to rationalize it as "reparations". If you just called it something like "The <any term> Plan" to bring black socioeconomic into alignment with that of whites and you marketed the positives of how the country would benefit in the long run, via less welfare, less crime, higher GDP, etc, etc, people would still be against it.

People are not against blacks being compensated for the enslavement and or oppression of their ancestors, they are against seeing blacks reach socioeconomic parity with whites. Any program with that TARGET GOAL....will be met with stark resistance from many whites. Again.....they need blacks to be in an inferior position to continue to feel that they are superior over blacks.

Many whites are left with the dilemma of either looking down upon their antecedents...or looking down upon blacks. Many know that their parents and grand parents were indeed racist and that their parents racism could have hurt black people socioeconomically or otherwise. Thus, in order to keep their parents and grand parents up on a pedestal, they have to link any problems blacks have to "black nature". That lets their parents off the hook, but it puts blacks on the hook. They have to constantly see blacks as the problem, lest they see their own antecedents for who and what they really were.

People are really against....EQUALITY, for with equality there is no SUPERIORITY.

The victim line again?

People support equality. However, you are confusing political and economic equality. The Constitution guarantees you the same rights as everyone else.

Your own initiative, work ethic, education, and innovation determines your economic status. No one wants to give handouts to someone who did not earn it, as it defies human nature. Those who expect or demand handouts will never achieve economic parity, as they have personally failed and have resigned themselves to being "inferior".

If you can't make it economically in the US (which is one of the least class dependent nations in the world for economic mobility), you can't make it anywhere. No one rewards lack of a good work ethic, lack of education, and lack of initiative. You are asking the nation to give you a trophy for 6th place.

Success is an artifact of hard work and dedication, not a goal. If you are not successful, don't constantly seek excuses. Blame yourself and make changes to your plan, otherwise you will continue to fail. I can tell you that culture that de-emphasizes education, celebrates single parent families, and a "gangsta" lifestyle is a recipe for failure.

Change your culture.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:53 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The victim line again?

People support equality. However, you are confusing political and economic equality. The Constitution guarantees you the same rights as everyone else.

Your own initiative, work ethic, education, and innovation determines your economic status. No one wants to give handouts to someone who did not earn it, as it defies human nature. Those who expect or demand handouts will never achieve economic parity, as they have personally failed and have resigned themselves to being "inferior".

If you can't make it e8conomically in the US (which is one of the least class dependent nations in the world for economic mobility), you can't make it anywhere. No one rewards lack of a good work ethic, lack of education, and lack of initiative. You are asking the nation to give you a trophy for 6th place.

Success is an artifact of hard work and dedication, not a goal. If you are not successful, don't constantly seek excuses. Blame yourself and make changes to your plan, otherwise you will continue to fail. I can tell you that culture that de-emphasizes education, celebrates single parent families, and a "gangsta" lifestyle is a recipe for failure.

Change your culture.

Victim mentality. Well....if people thought or think that they can't be "victims" then they would not bother to vote. Ponder that for a moment. If one cannot be impacted, hence victim of circumstance, why do conservatives and liberals try so hard to keep the opposition political party out of ....power? If conservatives really believed in the power of the individual and personal responsibility controlling ones fate....why so much effort directed at keeping liberals out of power. When you say liberal policies have destroyed Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore.....you are saying that these places are VICTIMS.

Your problem is you have a flawed view of human existence. You see each generation as a "heat" in a track event. For those not familiar with a heat, if you have 64 athletes running the 100 meter and only 8 can run at a time, then the number of athletes is divided by the number that can run at the same time. Thus, 8 lane track and 64 athletes means there will be 8 heats, each start having an EQUAL starting point.

If you look at life and the generations as "heats" where each generation gets a fresh start lined up equal with others....that is not how it works. In the past, the way you see it, unequal laws meant whites could line up way in front of blacks, which led to whites winning the races. Now you see the laws resulting each generation getting the same starting point. Well, life is not like that. Life and the generations are actually like an "endless relay". It does not matter that they have equalized the starting point (everyone is equal under the law now).....because the race started long ago and the disadvantage from unequal starts of the past gets passed to the next generation in the relay of life.

If we are equal, innately, and you accrued an advantage from past unfairness, assuming we both are trying our best......I can never catch up to you. I mean, equalizing laws when the race has already been going on does not undo the disadvantage in ground accrued from the era of legal unfairness.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:12 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Read the article. The student vote was specific to 272 slaves which were sold by Georgetown university.

$27.20 per semester to create a fund benefiting descendants of the 272 slaves sold to pay off the Georgetown Jesuits' debt
My question is why should today’s students pay for it instead of the school itself? The school has enough money on its own to pay these reparations, and they should do it.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:45 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
The entire education system needs to be reformed. It was hijacked by liberal marxists , along with hollywood and television. I would call them indoctrination centers.
I have worked in academia for 12+ years now. The ONLY way all of this nonsense is going to change is if you hit them where it hurts. MONEY. Parents need to be a lot more vocal and take action. Stop supporting these institutions. The students are way too impressionable and indoctrinated to do anything on a large scale at this point. Also, alumni networks. Make it clear that you won't give any money until all of the indoctrination stops. Money dries up they will change their ways very quickly. Make all of the little ninny marxists learn how capitalism and the free market works.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:38 AM

10,468 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
I have worked in academia for 12+ years now. The ONLY way all of this nonsense is going to change is if you hit them where it hurts. MONEY. Parents need to be a lot more vocal and take action. Stop supporting these institutions. The students are way too impressionable and indoctrinated to do anything on a large scale at this point. Also, alumni networks. Make it clear that you won't give any money until all of the indoctrination stops. Money dries up they will change their ways very quickly. Make all of the little ninny marxists learn how capitalism and the free market works.
It's kind of hard to stop the flow of money when we have commissioners, local senators and congress men and women promising better pay for teachers and better schools by raising the property taxes. Most people don't own homes, so they could care less, and thanks to section 8 housing, they really could care less about the housing crisis. The only way we can get this to stop is to walk away from our homes, our jobs and just become backpackers living in the parks. But, I bet you, no one will want to give up their cushy way of life.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:29 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
My question is why should today’s students pay for it instead of the school itself? The school has enough money on its own to pay these reparations, and they should do it.
That would end the endowments. I know of two heavy-hitters that already may have decided to withdraw their support.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:54 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Liberalism is a mental disorder. Not one of the recipients of this cash, was ever a slave.
Maybe we cut them a check and deport them never to return. Welcome to your new home cry babies.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I just want my land back, from my ancestors being put on the Trail of Tears.

Couple of million acres in South Georgia and North Florida.
But will you then give the land back to the descendants of the people your ancestors took it from?

If your ancestors killed all the people who occupied the land before them, who gets it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies