Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 02:31 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So was Hitler and Stalin. Why didn't God see to it they were miscarried, since people, who want abortion banned say that God knew of everybody before they were born?
It's all about free will and we also have free will today. Don't blame God when people go to the dark side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 03:42 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
So was Hitler and Stalin. Why didn't God see to it they were miscarried, since people, who want abortion banned say that God knew of everybody before they were born?
Not sure where you are going with this, other than to take a shot at God.

I would surmise that the destruction of the abortion industry far exceeds what Hitler and Stalin did... in terms of loss of life.

God has allowed these things to take place on this side of heaven.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:48 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
It's all about free will and we also have free will today. Don't blame God when people go to the dark side.
Why not? It’s always “it’s gods will”, so what’s the explanation for those guys? Maybe answer the question this time.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:59 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why? Because I didn’t wring my hands over my decision or regret it? Plenty of women don’t regret it. It was a simple decision to make & a simple in/out procedure. Why would you wish someone to bemoan it the rest of their lives? I didn’t want it, I’ve never wanted to have a kid so there it is.
Abortion, like many other things, is what you could call an "ethical dilemma". Which basically means, it isn't always clear whether abortion is immoral, amoral, or moral.

Another ethical dilemma would be suicide. In most cases, suicide would be immoral. But there are many cases where it isn't.

So what makes something moral, and what makes something immoral? The root of morality is "Unselfishness". And similarly, the root of immorality is "Selfishness". Things which are moral are unselfish(IE generous/considerate/benevolent/altruistic/etc). And things which are immoral are selfish(IE greedy, harmful to others, indifference to suffering, etc).

In the case of suicide, you could make an argument that "ending suffering" would be the moral thing to do. And that forcing someone to live in pain is actually immoral. But at the same time, killing yourself can cause suffering to others. And causing others to suffer is also immoral.

Thus suicide is immoral if the amount of suffering caused is greater than the amount of suffering ended.

The ethical-dilemma in abortion is similar. The people who are opposed to abortion are often willing to make exceptions for things like rape, incest, health of the mother, etc. The ethical-basis is that forcing a woman to have the child of her rapist would cause a great amount of suffering, for the mother, child, and for others in society. And that the suffering was not caused in any way by her, she is the victim.

So what about the abortions where the woman isn't a victim? Where is the line between selfish and unselfish, moral and immoral? It is true that forcing any woman to carry a pregnancy that she does not want will cause her to suffer, but I reject the notion that abortion is without suffering. And I think most women know this in their hearts. Which is why "normal people" need to find some way to justify it.

And the typical justifications for abortion, are things like the girl is poor, young, unmarried. That it would "ruin her life" or that "the child would be raised in a bad environment", or any other such case where you believe both the child and the mother would suffer.

I can actually understand that rationale, and I, having four sisters and seven nieces, can understand why a woman might want to have an abortion. But abortion should never be treated in the cavalier and indifferent manner which your post seems to indicate. The fetus is most-definitely a human-life.

But I think there are situations where the suffering that would result, for both the mother and the child, is so great, that forcing the woman to carry the baby, and for that matter, bringing the baby into the world in such an environment, would seem to be a far greater evil than the termination of the pregnancy.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 04-15-2019 at 09:14 PM..

Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
My abortion story: went in, got it done, left. Best decision I ever made.
Imagine the person they could have been. Sad for you.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:25 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
If a woman wants to tell an abortion story, I'd far rather it be about a legal one than an illegal one. But those who want abortion banned wants them all illegal and unregulated. The stories that come out of that awful situation are bound to be chilling.
Hermit Gossnel says it’s already largely unregulated.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:30 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
What is to say, you deserved the same.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,043 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...i'm sure it was...for the fetus, not so much....
Quote:
It doesn’t exist therefore, no thought process. Duh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
If it didn't exist why did it have to be removed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I'm not anti-abortion, but there is something wrong with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
I would have to agree. One of you is enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i heard that bitchslap right thru my monitor
Well at least she got the "no thought process" part right.

Abortion is an odd paradox.

"thefragile" is definitely not somebody any baby should be stuck with, or if she kept the baby and raised the baby with her own sensibilities, the world would just eventually have 2 idiots instead of one.

So, the presence of a woman so simultaneously cavalier, arrogant and, stupid advocating for abortion ...is itself a possible logical argument in favor of abortion...

...well except for the whole baby-murder thing...

...oh and there was one woman who said something to the effect of why should I feel guilty about an abortion for having recreational sex? Well, I dunno, why should I feel guilty if I run over someone after a night out of drinking?

Old 04-15-2019, 09:55 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Women that blasé about it usually have had more than one. Abby Johnson said PP wanted women to have at least 3 abortions but the time they were 30. That would be a good quota for a counselor to get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Have you considered posting anything supported by facts?

Let's see something factual about 'PP wanting women to have at least three abortions by the time they're 30'!

Or should that allegation just be placed in the hyperbolic nonsense file right now?
This woman worked at PP for eight years. She states the FACTS that what Janielle posted is true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MxgS95iN90

Old 04-15-2019, 10:00 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Why not? It’s always “it’s gods will”, so what’s the explanation for those guys? Maybe answer the question this time.
It's not God's will when humans kill, where did you get that idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies