Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 11:31 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

What has diversity done to enrich America?

Let's see:

- sushi
- tacos and burritos
- general tso's chicken
- martial arts
- hip hop

just to name a few

Old 04-22-2019, 11:38 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Let's see:

- sushi
- tacos and burritos
- general tso's chicken
- martial arts
- hip hop

just to name a few
As someone who works in IT, I find that diversity has added to the engineering workforce here in the US.

With my East Indian and Asian friends, we are definitely equipped for the future.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:02 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
Not much. Just my entire wife's family and my step moms family. All kinds of ethnic food in the area. Numerous friends and acquaintances. Just life in general.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:03 PM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:

Let's see:

- sushi
- tacos and burritos
- general tso's chicken
- martial arts
- hip hop

just to name a few
Oh yeah, those things are so important that we should dilute our demographics, culture and language and over populate our country with third worlders who don't assimilate. If I want a lot of diversity I will travel to the countries whose local foods reflect the ones I want or buy a cookbook. We can have all those things within our country without going overboard on diversity.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:04 PM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
As someone who works in IT, I find that diversity has added to the engineering workforce here in the US.

With my East Indian and Asian friends, we are definitely equipped for the future.
Those foreign IT workers have replaced Americans in that field by working for less. That's not ok. There's no shortage of American IT workers.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:05 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And how would that eliminate factors which makes our population diverse?

No, not at all. Our population would be diverse with, or without the government, unless there was some kind of purge to eliminate those who do not fit the mold.

Congo, which is one of the most diverse places on the planet, is not so because of their government, but because of the multitudes of different ethnic groups in the country.
You speak of "country" as if it is a real thing. The Congo is only a country because some European powers drew some lines on a map. Just like Iraq is a country because some European powers drew some lines on a map(IE Kurds, Sunni, Shia, etc). And the United States is a country because we conquered the natives, stole their land, and drew some lines on a map, while we had slaves, and fought a Civil-War over secession.

The Congo was not a country before the European powers were there. It was just various tribes, which had nothing like a government. And the reason they are in a near-perpetual Civil-War, is because all of the tribes are fighting for control of the government that Europeans forced on them.

Regardless, you need to imagine what would actually happen to a place like New York City if there were no police. The whole city would be burned to the ground in a month. And since cities cannot feed themselves, then without money flowing into the city from elsewhere, everyone in New York City would starve to death.

New York City is built on Wall-Street, which depends heavily on the machinations of the Federal Reserve bank.

If there were no police, there would be no cities. If we weren't forced together, we wouldn't be together. This is a fake country, just like all the rest.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:06 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I experience this type of thing very regularly. I might talk to someone at Google who is from Pakistan, then go to a concert with "Florida Man" dancing with a beer in hand in front of the 420 Cafe....and then deliver meals on wheels to every sort of human being in existence. Then I'll drive some people to their appointments...like a strong old woman from Trinidad (she is stern, but strong as heck!) and hear all the various stories of lives lived.

Then I may go to the Farm market where a French guy who can't hardly speak English will tune up and fix my bike...and stop by the German or Hungarian booth for their baked goods.

It's not quite the upper crust thing you describe, but the point is that the USA does work well in this sense.

Our biggest problem(s), IMHO, are lack of education of the CITIZENS of the USA as well as our tendency not to get involved in politics (so many people don't vote!)......

Education, tho, seems the largest shortfall. It informs the ignorance that starts threads like this.

And so.................... why is that any better than if ALL of those people were white people? Would the white people be rude, or less fulfilling to be around?

I think a lot of this "diversity" is actually reverse racism with the presumption that if people are "different" they are somehow "better". That, of course, is not the case.

I currently live in Eastern TN, where it is essentially 100% white. The people are very nice and I do not feel "cheated" by not having "diversity".

People are individuals, not groups, and seeking "diversity" by "collecting" different groups simply because they are different in color or from a different location is absurd.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:06 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:

Let's see:

- sushi
- tacos and burritos
- general tso's chicken
- martial arts
- hip hop

just to name a few
So takeout food and...hip hop? Really? Rap is crap. That's not cultural enrichment it's cultural degradation.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:10 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
No, that's just your opinion. Millions of Americans listen to pop country, which is IMHO garbage. But if they enjoy it then so be it, right? No need to poo poo over other people's music preference
Rap being crap is a fact, jack.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:18 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We, Christians, are cool with Jews. Too bad you are not cool with people who are not like you.
I have no problems with people who share with me the same values of work, education and law abidance, even if they are from Jupiter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies