Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 01:10 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times

Advertisements

Mandate school uniforms. Problem solved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 01:17 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
She's fully covered. I've seen far worse in high schools, frankly.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:48 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
When I was in public high school (in NY State) back in the late 60s, there was an old (steel grey hair, bun, silver glasses, skinny, tall, frowny faced) female vice principal (I remember her name but won't say it) who used to walk around with a hem ripper and something to measure. If your skirt was too short (miniskirts were the trend at the time) she would rip down your hem right on the spot, call your mother (no stay at home dads at home in those days unless they worked the night shift) and tell her you were going to sit in the principals office until she (your mother) showed up with a proper skirt (or dress). My opinion is she was trying to put the embarrassment on the mother for letting her daughter walk out the door looking like that. If the mother worked (less back then than these days), she was expected to leave work, go home and get a proper skirt and show up at the school with it. If she didn't, the kid sat in the principal's office all day and was told not to come back to school the next day unless one of her parents accompanied her. The boys had hair rules but I'm not male and I don't remember what they were or what their punishment was but I'm sure it involved getting a haircut.

Those were the days when you were sent to a home for unwed mothers or a relative in another state if you got pregnant and stayed there until the baby was born. But, I had an honors English teacher who got pregnant by her former high school student (he graduated the year before me) and she was fired only a month or two into the semester when she taught my class. That was big news. So, it wasn't just students.

I don't have any kids so I'll keep my opinion to myself about the 15 yr old in the op.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:54 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
When I was in high school, the highest that the hem of a girl's skirt was allowed to be, was 4 inches above the ankle. The tyrannical old battleaxe who had been dean of girls for more than 40 years, wrote and enforced such rules with no input from anyone else. She and the principal ran the place like it was a Victorian-era prison. So those who are in school today, don't have a clue about how bad this kind of repression can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies